Author Topic: The Tony Allen Thread  (Read 12103 times)

Re: The Tony Allen Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:42:34 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
He should be handy to have around when he returns. Love that defense.

No excuses whatsoever for him to return unfit. If he's serious about helping this team win back-to-back and playing good basketball, he will have worked out like mad whilst recuperating from the thumb injury.

Will he be raring to go or slack from his time off? A fit and firing Tony Allen could be a huge bonus.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 02:48:59 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I think Bill Walker got Danny thinkin' if you know what I mean and me aswell. I like Tony, but I see much more potential in Bill, and he's younger and healthy(so far). Tony gets injured every once in a while and it's making me like him less and less every time.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:51 AM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Tony is a bout 2-3 inches undersized. He also plays inconsistently in that he tends too often to throw a bad pass, make a wrong decision, or put his head down and flat out stampede towards the basket with no plan in mind. These turnovers hurt. His outside shot could be better andalso more consistent. A potentially great player, he plays too often out of control. Is this because he wants to satisfy Doc's request so much, i.e. to take it to the cup, or he just fails to realize when to take it straight to the hole and when not to? Anyhow, the ball in his hands tend to stay there and get dribbled, dribbled, dribbled. He is looking for his opening. Everybdy else waits and does zip. With Marbury the ball seems to move much more.

Tony's plus side  is defense, energy, and the pressure he puts on the ball and the man he is covering. How many times I can recall his defense setting up a steal and a quick basket from nowhere. He seems to have a defensive sense for expecting something to happen, as well as the quickness and athletic ability to gamble and make the steal, the block, the weakside rebound, etc. Then, his open court speed and desire to get to the hoop are quite amazing. The result is very often two easy points for us, thanks to Tony.

It will be difficult for Doc to find nany minutes for him once he returns because of Marbury and Stephon's ability to hit the open jumper ( I am still waiting like everyone for more of them), but more importantly Marbury's ability to pass the ball. The ball movement is much better now on the second unit.House and Marbury are fitting in nicely along with Miki More.Also Marbury can bring up the ball in case of defensive pressure. This chemistry will be difficult to break up for Doc. It would be nice if T.A. was a bit taller and he'd be much more a Pierce replacement. Maybe so, anyways. In all cases,Danny Ainge will have to make some decision on him come summer. Personally I am praying for him all the time to succeed because of his rough life prior to basketball. He seems deserving of success.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 03:03:14 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
If he's serious about helping this team win back-to-back and playing good basketball, he will have worked out like mad whilst recuperating from the thumb injury.

The one thing you can't knock tony for is his hustle.  Every time he gets injured I feel like all I hear about is him busting his butt to get back, esp after the ACL injury.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tony is one of my favorite Celtics to watch.  Apparently, Doc likes him too.  I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for.  And if it comes down to playing Walker or Allen, I'd go with Allen every time in this year's playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Tony Allen drives me absolutely nuts.  He has a ton of talent, and can do a lot of things on the floor, but has shown throughout his career that he can't keep focus for more than a couple of minutes at a time (and that's even rare).

I think he is the type of guy who would absolutely thrive on a bad team, where he can go out there, and be the "man", since it seems to make it easier for him to keep his focus like that, plus, it makes his mistakes much less important.

As a role player on a championship caliber team, it is painful to watch, since you know that no matter how well he may be playing, there is about a 75% chance that he will make a really dumb mistake at a crucial time if you leave him out there.

With that said, I really hope he comes back for the playoffs, because if he is used just for spot minutes, and Doc has a quick hook when he loses his focus, then he will be a valuable option off the bench as a defender against guys like Wade, Kobe, Joe Johnson, and even Lebron (for short stretches).

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I enjoy watching Bill Walker play.

Atleast when he makes a rookie mistake he has a legit excuse, being he's an actual rookie.

Watching Tony play is just frustrating.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:41:34 AM by ManUp »

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Tony Allen makes some bad turnovers via the pass or dribble. However, if you want:

1. Someone who takes it to the hole like a kamaikaze and draws alot of fouls
2. Some who is willingly to get into someone's jock strap on D
3. Someone who would go to war physically against anyone you ask him to, even if you're pointing at Shaq.
4. If you want someone to spell Pierce and Glue up JJ, LeBron, Hamilton, Wade or Kobe in spurts...

Tony is your guy. I love him because he's a brawler and he brings great physical toughness and attitude at the 2 spot and that's hard to find and also very important in the playoffs. I also like Walker alot. We are going to need Tony's defensive toughness along the way here going after #18.

I'd like to see us play Walker alot over the next 12 games and into the early playoffs and if he's going well keep getting him 5 minutes of so behind Pierce.

Let Tony play the two spot along with Eddie, depending on whether you need offense or defense. Size and toughness at the two or speed and shooting...   

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I enjoy watching Bill Walker play.

Atleast when he makes a rookie mistake he has a legit excuse, being he's an actual rookie.

Watching Tony play is just frustrating.

Well said, ManUp.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Tony Allen makes some bad turnovers via the pass or dribble. However, if you want:

3. Someone who would go to war physically against anyone you ask him to, even if you're pointing at Shaq.
4. If you want someone to spell Pierce and Glue up JJ, LeBron, Hamilton, Wade or Kobe in spurts...

Tony is your guy. I love him because he's a brawler and he brings great physical toughness and attitude at the 2 spot and that's hard to find and also very important in the playoffs. I also like Walker alot. We are going to need Tony's defensive toughness along the way here going after #18.

I'd like to see us play Walker alot over the next 12 games and into the early playoffs and if he's going well keep getting him 5 minutes of so behind Pierce.

Let Tony play the two spot along with Eddie, depending on whether you need offense or defense. Size and toughness at the two or speed and shooting...   

The problem is, half the time he drives "like a kamakaze", he is out of control, and ends up getting the charge (especially against playoff teams).  Half the time he "gets into someone's jock", he gets completely burnt when he tries to do too much, and they end up going backdoor on him.  So on, and so forth.

I agree that Tony does do some nice things.  But you just can never count on him doing those things when you want him to.

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The problem is, half the time he drives "like a kamakaze", he is out of control, and ends up getting the charge (especially against playoff teams).  Half the time he "gets into someone's jock", he gets completely burnt when he tries to do too much, and they end up going backdoor on him.  So on, and so forth.

I agree that Tony does do some nice things.  But you just can never count on him doing those things when you want him to.

yea thats the problem, tony has talent, but you never know what your going to get and at what moment you get it.

he has Zero basketball IQ.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I agree with this assessment of Tony.  The term brawler is fitting.  And I think Tony's kamikaze drives to the hoop do a lot more good than harm.  Of course there is a chance he'll dribble off his foot but he scores or gets to the line far more than he charges or turns it over.  He's a pretty good passer off penetration also.

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I don't think Tony has zero bball IQ, I just think he is so hyper that he is prone to careless mistakes.  He sees the court and makes passes that a truly dumb player would not be able to make.

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He was thrown in a lot of trade ideas when he was healthy.

He has just been hurt for so long that we have forgoten him again.

If he does come back, I hope it is soon.  He has a history of taking a long time comming back mentally after an injury.  His inconsistancy is magnified.  I would hate to see that be the case if he returns for the playoffs.  

What the team really needs is Scali back.

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
At one time, I thought he would be Paul Pierce's replacement. He had unbelievable athletic ability before those devastating knee injuries. Unfortunately, he may never be the same again. I hope he does not become an afterthought. Play smart, he often does not. Play with energy - no problem. Will he be a factor in the 2009 playoffs - doubtful.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.