Author Topic: Perkins' jumpshot  (Read 4668 times)

Perkins' jumpshot
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I remember, though not exactly when, that last year Perkins had a nice jumpshot. When he was left open away from the basket I recall that he didn't hesitate to take the jumpshot and make it about 8 times on 10 tries, almost like Mikki's jumper this season.

So I wonder why he doesn't take it anymore? This season I've never seen him take this jumpshot even when he was left wide open (like against the Spurs last friday). Are my memories mistaking me or did he really have a reliable jumpshot last year? I can't remember if I saw him use it in the playoffs, I'd say that he didn't.

Anyway I think that Perk should shoot when is wide open like BBD does! Of course his game in the paint is his priority but I think it would add a good asset to his offensive game if he used more often this jumpshot.

Re: Perkins' jumpshot
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I disagree, he's better if he goes right to the post. His turn around shot after two dribbles in the post is much better than his jump shot.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
That line drive jumper?  He's made a few in his career, but that's an UGLY shot, it's always going to be the fifth option regardless of who's on the court.  I'd rather have Perk playing closer to the basket for offensive rebound/tip opportunities rather than setting up for an elbow jumper.  I don't mind when he gets position down low, I don't mind his little baby hook...  but Perk shooting jumpers keeps me up at night.

EDIT: I need to start looking at the good stats from 82 games.

As per those guys, eFg% of 42% for Perk this year on jump shots; better than BBD and Rondo, but still not that great (quite a bit lower than Scal, for example).  Note, too, that last year he was at 27%.  Stats also indicate that a slightly higher percentage of his shots this year ARE jumpers (18% to 27%), which I can't say I've noticed.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Perk needs to spot up and take more 3's...then he'd be really dangerous, and possibly put out an eye or two
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Perk is usually in the low post because the majority of big men he plays with are jumpshooters.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Perk needs to spot up and take more 3's...then he'd be really dangerous, and possibly put out an eye or two

Well, that's not what I was saying but I was sure someone would say it. ;D

Thanks for your stats the_Bird, apparently I was wrong, but I can't remember a game this season where I saw Perk take a jumper... strange!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I like what Perk did in the SA game.  Rather than taking that shot, they were giving him so much room, he took a power dribble towards the paint, then got close enough for a turnaround or jump hook, shots that are much higher % for him.  Doc even mentioned in the postgame that the staff had told the bigs, particularly Perk, that the "duck in" would be there because of how the Spurs helped.  Perk executed what he was told would be available very well.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That line drive jumper?  He's made a few in his career, but that's an UGLY shot, it's always going to be the fifth option regardless of who's on the court.  I'd rather have Perk playing closer to the basket for offensive rebound/tip opportunities rather than setting up for an elbow jumper.  I don't mind when he gets position down low, I don't mind his little baby hook...  but Perk shooting jumpers keeps me up at night.

As per those guys, eFg% of 42% for Perk this year on jump shots; better than BBD and Rondo, but still not that great (quite a bit lower than Scal, for example).  Note, too, that last year he was at 27%.  Stats also indicate that a slightly higher percentage of his shots this year ARE jumpers (18% to 27%), which I can't say I've noticed.

I think that jumper for 82games pretty much means a non dunk or layup, such as those jusmper he takes from within 5 feet of the basket.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
keep him down low

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

I think that jumper for 82games pretty much means a non dunk or layup, such as those jusmper he takes from within 5 feet of the basket.

Thanks for bringing this up, Tim - I think the hotspots charts at NBA.com provides a more precise idea of where his shots are coming from.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

If so, the 27% for last year is even more shocking!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »

Online ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
Perkins has actually made some very nice strides with his offensive game in my opinion; based on where he started of course.

1. He's somewhat efficient with his shot put jump hook he uses.
2. A very nice move he's developed lately and which he seems to be suprisingly accurate with is: he dribbles left handed into the middle of the lane and throws up and fade away jump shot with his right shoulderfacing the rim. This is actually a very nice little shot for him.
3. If he could next learn to hit that shot a few times and then do a pump fake and step under to lay it into the hoop...

His line drive hook, his jump shot in the lane, get an up and under and assume his few dunks and foul shots and a few put backs...

He could average 12-15 a night within another 1-2 years.

Perkisn is no Gervin out there on the O-end of the floor...but he's added little things and as always continues to improve something every season. Nice to watch..

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
To answer the OP.  I cant ever remember him shooting that jumper last year, much less him even making it.  However, what you might be thinking of is the game in Houston very early this season.  That's the only game where Ive ever seen Perk use that jumper as a weapon.  Most of the time he takes it b/c hes stuck with the ball when the shot clocks about to run out.  That game in Houston though, he played marvelous on both ends of the floor.  He had 15 points on 7-8 shooting.  AT LEAST 5 of the field goals had to be mid range jumpers, Yao Ming was trying to roam off of Perk all night to help out other defenders and Perk made him pay.  Perk also gave Yao fits on the defensive end as well.  Ever since that game Ive been wanting Perk to at least attempt one or two of those shots a game.  Im not asking him to become a jump shooter because I agree his primary area should be down low, but it would be nice to have that in his back pocket.

I'd have no problem seeing him attempt one of those mid range jumpers a game.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I wouldn't be surprised to see Perk become a 10/10 man at some point in the next year or two.  With or without a decent jumper, he's improved his touch around the basket.  He'll always be the last one the defense wants to guard, so he'll keep getting free for a couple baskets a game when they cheat off him.  As KG's minutes stay lower in the regular season, it's natural to expect Perk's to go up a little.  And, his teammates aren't adverse to passing to him.

Don't see him as ever being a guy they run a lot of plays for, but you CAN look to him on certain matchups; he doesn't embarrass himself on offense anymore.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »

Offline swe1989

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
For those who do not remember the game when perkins had a jumpshot, it was the Celtics-Rockets where we won 103-99.  Perkins was 5-6 from outside the paint. 

Here's the proof:  http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=281104010 (Just filter out his name)