Author Topic: We NEED to resign Powe and Baby...  (Read 18428 times)

We NEED to resign Powe and Baby...
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
Big Baby was a terribly inconsistent in the beginning of the season, and i have to admit i wanted him to get traded.

I always new he had range and could shoot decent, because of watching him college, and his rookie year i was very high on glen. Recently I've jumped back on the davis wagon and have convinced myself that he is a potential all star.

Big baby has several post moves, can make a short quick move off the dribble towards the basket, has great hands, finishes great around the basket for the most part, rebounds great, plays hard d despite his insufficient length, and lets not forget his deadly jump shot.

Davis playing 35-40 minutes with out the big 3 in the future getting the ball more and more. I think he could easily average 20 points and 8 rebounds, especially with rondo looking for him.

Leon Powe has all the tools to be a 6th man of the year, Though I don't think leon powe could be an all star, he will average 12 and 6 and be a great off the bench. After the big 3 are gone and these guys are 26 and 27 and molded into their games. WOW

Future Team
Pg-Rondo-Pruitt
SG-Bill Walker-Tony?
Sf-FA future draft pick
Pf-Davis-Powe
C-Perk-Powe

I really think big baby is going to be a big time player

Re: We NEED to resign Powe and Baby...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I agree with you. Both will be good role players in this league for a long time. The only question is will the ownership be willing stomach the luxery tax to keep these two promising young players.

If only one can be kept, I would hang on to Glenn Davis as he would have the muscle to win the tough battles while Powe has better quickness to take charges and has the instincts of a great player to get rebounds and score effectively.

Both players are wonderful 2nd round finds and are UFA's at the end of the season.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I agree with you. Both will be good role players in this league for a long time. The only question is will the ownership be willing stomach the luxery tax to keep these two promising young players.

If only one can be kept, I would hang on to Glenn Davis as he would have the muscle to win the tough battles while Powe has better quickness to take charges and has the instincts of a great player to get rebounds and score effectively.

Both players are wonderful 2nd round finds and are UFA's at the end of the season.

Actually, both are restricted.  They're on their rookie contracts, and we have a right to match any offers they receive.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't know. 
If the Cs could sign Antonio McDyess for cheap, I would take him over BBD, and keep Powe.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we definitely need to keep one of them, but we don't need both if we get a veteran big FA. Sheed/McDyess/Smith/etc.

Since both are restricted a lot depends on what the market is for their abilities. Hard to tell there will be a lot of good PFs out there in the off season.

Boozer, Millsap, and Sideshow Bob will highlight the market.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I think the C's will make a move for 'Sheed first, McDyess second, and resign either BBD or Powe - whoever signs a 3 year, $9M contract first. 

Resigning BBD means using one of the exemptions, right?  We don't have Bird rights since he only would sign a 2 year contract, I'm pretty sure.  If signing BBD means we can't go after 'Sheed, well...  let's get used to rooting for Leon!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I wish we could just fuse them into one player. Baby's size, agility, jumper combined with Powe's rebounding, finishing, and atheleticism (a bigger David West basically). The problem with these two is that they don't seem to play well together.

I think the team should resign Powe, try to pick up McDyess or Wallace, and have Davis as the next option.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I keep reading these Sheed comments.  Do people think he's going to sign for the MLE?  I have to believe someone will overpay for him.  It wouldn't break my heart in the least.  I would rather keep both they compliment each other and I like the Perk/BBD KG/Powe combination.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
In a different economy, Sheed would be an $8M player.  This year, because of the economy and because of everyone gearing up for 2010, he's a 3 year, full MLE player (I think). 

Actually, I think signing Sheed or not may detemine whether to get Powe or BBD.  BBD's game is more like that of KG; perimiter-oriented.  If you sign Sheed, you've got another perimiter big, so maybe you prefer post-up guy like Powe.  If you don't sign Sheed, maybe you CAN dip into the MLE to sign Baby (who I think is probably the better player today, if for no other reason than he seems better able to defend centers). 

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think the C's will make a move for 'Sheed first, McDyess second, and resign either BBD or Powe - whoever signs a 3 year, $9M contract first. 

Resigning BBD means using one of the exemptions, right?  We don't have Bird rights since he only would sign a 2 year contract, I'm pretty sure.  If signing BBD means we can't go after 'Sheed, well...  let's get used to rooting for Leon!

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we do have BBD's bird rights.  Hopefully Roy will chime in. :D

I wonder if the development of BBD makes the need for another top notch big not so great anymore.  We might be able to go for a vet big a notch below the Sheed/McDyess types, another PJ Brown type that wouldn't mind taking a backseat to Powe and BBD and play only when needed.

If not, then I'd go with BBD over Powe. Why?  Because Powe is effective only against certain matchups whereas BBD's can play his game against any matchup, because that open shot will be there for him no matter who the opponent is and that shot sets up his drives to the basket so he won't be limited to taking only jump shots.  This is a skill that Powe does not possess, along with the passing and defense of some tough bigs that BBD has. BBD can also step in for KG without any changing of the offensive sets because he can spread the floor.  BBD is just more versatile and fits better with the teams offensive and defensive schemes, imo.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I keep reading these Sheed comments.  Do people think he's going to sign for the MLE?  I have to believe someone will overpay for him.  It wouldn't break my heart in the least.  I would rather keep both they compliment each other and I like the Perk/BBD KG/Powe combination.

They compliment each other? since when.

If anything they are one of our worst player combos.

It's like they each do better when the other isn't playing.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline rondo987

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Big Baby was a terribly inconsistent in the beginning of the season, and i have to admit i wanted him to get traded.

I always new he had range and could shoot decent, because of watching him college, and his rookie year i was very high on glen. Recently I've jumped back on the davis wagon and have convinced myself that he is a potential all star.

Big baby has several post moves, can make a short quick move off the dribble towards the basket, has great hands, finishes great around the basket for the most part, rebounds great, plays hard d despite his insufficient length, and lets not forget his deadly jump shot.

Davis playing 35-40 minutes with out the big 3 in the future getting the ball more and more. I think he could easily average 20 points and 8 rebounds, especially with rondo looking for him.

Leon Powe has all the tools to be a 6th man of the year, Though I don't think leon powe could be an all star, he will average 12 and 6 and be a great off the bench. After the big 3 are gone and these guys are 26 and 27 and molded into their games. WOW

Future Team
Pg-Rondo-Pruitt
SG-Bill Walker-Tony?
Sf-FA future draft pick
Pf-Davis-Powe
C-Perk-Powe

Really, I like your optimism with some of these young players, but lets face it, Rondo is probably the only one of this group that will probably be an all star one day (I feel like he was one this year). Big Baby, MAYBE... Just MAYBE could be an all star. The rest have a ceiling of either being a solid role player/starter on a good team or a great 6th man. I honestly believe half of those players mentioned won't be here in 2 or 3 years, and for good reason.

Just two years ago (feels a lot longer than that), I was dumb enough to believe our team of Rondo, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Kendrick Perkins was actually the future of the celtics and would compete for a title by 2010. That team as is, right now, would probably be fighting for 8th place in the east right now (probably better w/ Pierce), and I doubt Rondo would have matured as quickly as he did without the team he has around him right now.

I guess I'm just rambling on at this point. I love Powe and Baby and hope we re-sign both of them, but realistically, I think you are going overboard by suggesting he will be an all star. It could happen, and I would love to be proved wrong, but I'm not sure it will. I can tell you right now that Pruitt will probably be gone this time next year.

Bottom line- Celtics need to start thinking about their future beyond the big three soon, but not just yet. They still have a few years in the tank. I'd like to see them try to put some peices together to trade for a high draft pick in one a strong draft within the next few years so they can grab that potential all star to replace the big three.
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, and some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."

-Paul Pierce-

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I know that we have the right to match any offer that BBD receives, but we can't have Bird rights on a player who's only been in the league two years.  Remember Arenas leaving Golden State?  Same deal, on (obviously) a much smaller level; he only signed as a rook on a two-year deal, which meant that GS could only match Washington's contract IF they had cap space or an exemption to fit the contract into.

That's why Danny has signed almost all of his second rounders to three year deals - so that not only do we have them tied up for that time, but so that we've got Bird rights when the DO hit free agency.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know that we have the right to match any offer that BBD receives, but we can't have Bird rights on a player who's only been in the league two years.  Remember Arenas leaving Golden State?  Same deal, on (obviously) a much smaller level; he only signed as a rook on a two-year deal, which meant that GS could only match Washington's contract IF they had cap space or an exemption to fit the contract into.

That's why Danny has signed almost all of his second rounders to three year deals - so that not only do we have them tied up for that time, but so that we've got Bird rights when the DO hit free agency.
Exactly, BBD cannot receive a FA offer larger than the MLE though. This was to avoid the situation GS found itself in with Arenas.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Future Team
Pg-Rondo-Pruitt
SG-Bill Walker-Tony?
Sf-FA future draft pick
Pf-Davis-Powe
C-Perk-Powe