Author Topic: Bill Kennedy Fined  (Read 4648 times)

Bill Kennedy Fined
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:35:46 PM »

Offline LD42

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/03/rivers_and_refe.html

Too bad, so is Doc for publicly criticized referees.Does this means the NBA condone this kind of calls late in the game since Kennedy only got fine for his taunting to Doc ?

Re: Bill Kennedy Fined
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hope the Celtics avoid him in the future.

The NBA can fix it officials real easy.  I mean the NCAA tournament call it the way the head of officials for the tourney wants because he chooses what team of officials move forward. 

Do the same thing in the NBA.  The officials that call the game the best get more games and more money.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Love that the NBA fined him. Awesome.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
My guess is the "undisclosed amount" was $0.01

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
My guess is the "undisclosed amount" was $0.01

Great guess. I was thinking more along the lines of a bag of chips myself.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I sure hope he doesn't ref any (or many) C's games while Doc is still coaching.  I bet that if calls can go either way (the 50/50 variety), we'll not be getting very many at all with him.

Glad he's fined though.  They should say how much he's fined, just like they disclosed how much Doc was fined.  I'm guessing the players kick in to help Doc out on this.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Good small step. He shouldn't be reffing however.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I had to laugh at the last sentence that if Rivers hadn't said anything, he wouldn't have been fined.  Well, I am guessing if he didn't say anything about it, no attention would have been drawn to it, and Bill Kennedy would not have been fined.  I suspect Doc knew there was a price tag on his comments, but also knew nothing would have been done if he tried to complain to the league office privately.  Putting Kennedy squarely in the public eye helped exert some pressure I have to believe. 

Also, why does Doc's fine get announced, but not Kennedy's?  Stern characterizes all who question his or the officials veracity or that they have an agenda as paranoid conspiracy theorists.  But keeping this information private only fuels that type of speculation.  What motive could they have in not disclosing it other than because it was so paltry?  If it is just because its nobody's business, then that should also be applied to coaches and players fines.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
So if we see him in a game again when the Celtics play is the NBA gonna allow it? They should look closer and see that he was trying to determine the game by a stupid T so late in the game.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Maybe Refs will fear Doc, nah. how can you fear doc probably the nicest coach in the nba. But they'll think twice calling BS techs on him.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
I was thinking this morning that that Orwellian goblin David Stern would find a way to punish both of them. Kind of like in sixth grade when there was a fight in the boys' room and the teacher made both kids stay after school regardless of who instigated it.

In other news, American 45, Nova 33 in the second half.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:27 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
The ref was fined an undisclosed amount, and the commissioner pledged to look down his nose at any fans complaining about a lack of transparency.

So the ref is out of line, messes up the game (albeit slightly), and ejects Doc.  The league apparently also finds the ref was out of line, so they penalize the ref.  Doc complains about the same situation and is fined for complaining.  So Doc, for publicly agreeing with the league, is fined.

I understand how businesses worked.  I couldn't complain about my boss publicly and expect not to have some problems.  Then again, if my boss performed similarly to this ref, they wouldn't be anyone's boss anymore.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I hope the Celtics avoid him in the future.

The NBA can fix it officials real easy.  I mean the NCAA tournament call it the way the head of officials for the tourney wants because he chooses what team of officials move forward. 

Do the same thing in the NBA.  The officials that call the game the best get more games and more money.

That would be amazing.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ah, so Commissioner Hobbit fined both of them, eh?

Kennedy is an embarrassment to the league.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kennedy shouldn't have been fined for just his unprofessional behavior with Doc. His techinicals earlier in the game against Miller, Walker and Doc were just as unprofessional. Walker simply looked the his way earlier after Pierce was called for a foul wondering how a foul was called thinking it was on him. He didn't even say anything and got rung up for the T and then was amazed. Doc questioning how Walker could get a technical without saying anything then got T'ed up. And Miller wasn't even whining the vociferously over his call when he got his technical. Unless he dropped an F bomb, I don't see what he did that warranted a technical.

LeBron, Kobe, Ginobelli, Howard and a bunch of other stars get to yell and whine and complain and taunt and hang on the rim and pose all they want with refs doing nothing all the time. But for some reason Kennedy was ringing people up for next to nothing on Tuesday night. He reffed a horrible game in both directions, though the FT discrepancy just didn't seem warranted, he baited a coach and called a host of unneeded and unnecessary technicals.

If Doc doesn't come out and go public with his complaints, I guarantee nothing is done to Kennedy or his crew for a horrible display of unprofessional behavior and a fabulous display of incompetence. Yet, if Stu Jackson was doing his job properly, Kennedy should have been fined and suspended for some games even without Doc's comments. A ref shouldn't be able to act that way and still be able to go out the next scheduled game and ref again.