Author Topic: Would we have beaten OKC in the 2012 Finals?  (Read 3758 times)

Would we have beaten OKC in the 2012 Finals?
« on: February 17, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I was watching highlights of the Big Three's final playoff run to the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals the other day and it got me thinking. If we were able to seal the deal against the Heat, is it safe to say we would have beaten the Oklahoma City Thunder in the 2012 NBA Finals?

It's one of those hypothetical scenarios which looking back now would have been pretty sweet to watch (Pierce on KD, Rondo on Westbrook, and of course KG on Perk). Despite being older, I believe we had the experience, coaching, and championship mentality in order to put the Thunder away for our last hurrah together. It also makes you think about how different the offseason would have been. Maybe Ray would have decided to ultimately stay in green as the sixth man.

Re: Would we have beaten OKC in the 2012 Finals?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That OKC team was really something though. I don't know if Bradley can contain Harden. And then the C's had guys like Keyon Dooling, Greg Stiemsma, Ryan Collins as their bench players lol. KG was playing out of his mind in that run. Too bad the refs robbed them of Game 2 against the Heat, ugh. Still upset about that.

OKC would've had home-court advantage anyways in a 2-3-2 format. But I think if C's can steal Game 2, they win the series in 5 or 6 close games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've always thought that the Celtics would've really struggled against OKC if they had made the Finals in '12.   They were an awful matchup for the Celtics & had beaten the C's both times that season.    I think our vets would've struggled with their youth & athleticism. 

I think OKC would've won in 5 or 6 games.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:52:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think we would've.

At the time, the Thunder were still sorta the new kids on the block in the playoff picture.

The Celts were more battle tested.

They would've taken OKC, which would've been the perfect way to end the big 3 era.

Sadly, game 6 happened vs. Miami in the ECF.

Will never forget.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It is really annoying that this team was just 4th quarters away from NBA Finals appearances in '12 and '18.

And we will not talk about '10.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 04:19:33 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It is really annoying that this team was just 4th quarters away from NBA Finals appearances in '12 and '18.

And we will not talk about '10.
game 7.  Mere Minutes away from banner 18

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I was watching highlights of the Big Three's final playoff run to the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals the other day and it got me thinking. If we were able to seal the deal against the Heat, is it safe to say we would have beaten the Oklahoma City Thunder in the 2012 NBA Finals?

It's one of those hypothetical scenarios which looking back now would have been pretty sweet to watch (Pierce on KD, Rondo on Westbrook, and of course KG on Perk). Despite being older, I believe we had the experience, coaching, and championship mentality in order to put the Thunder away for our last hurrah together. It also makes you think about how different the offseason would have been. Maybe Ray would have decided to ultimately stay in green as the sixth man.

Bradley wasn't part of the team that challenged the cHeat...one of the main reasons why that team fell short. there was a quote back then and it goes something like this:

Celtics' best five-man lineup this postseason: When Bradley, Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Brandon Bass and Kevin Garnett have been on the court together, the Celtics have outscored opponents by 53 points.

yes AB was only in his second yr then, but he was absolutely vital in that post season run..we should have beaten both Miami and OKC if everyone was healthy.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lol

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
We would have gone in as the underdogs, but I always believed we would have won that series. Rondo would have dominated Westbrook as Rondo would have sped him up and controlled the pace of the game to perfection, my only concern was Pierce guarding KD. I don't think OKC were ready to win that year, no matter who they played.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
That OKC team was really something though. I don't know if Bradley can contain Harden. And then the C's had guys like Keyon Dooling, Greg Stiemsma, Ryan Collins as their bench players lol. KG was playing out of his mind in that run. Too bad the refs robbed them of Game 2 against the Heat, ugh. Still upset about that.

OKC would've had home-court advantage anyways in a 2-3-2 format. But I think if C's can steal Game 2, they win the series in 5 or 6 close games.

Harden was not Harden in that final World Peace made sure of that.

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No. Thunder were too young and athletic. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yes. Thunder were too young and inexperienced.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 02:04:12 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Celtics were pretty beat up by the time they were eliminated - Ray had bone spurs in both ankles and Paul was on a bum knee. Not to mention the Celtics had no consistency offensively from their bench and were relying on the likes of Ryan Hollins and Greg Stiemsma to spell KG. Beating Miami would have been a wild accomplishment. Pushing them to seven was pretty impressive. OKC would have been a challenge.

2012 is so funky because so much went wrong in the summer - Chris Paul, David West, Jeff Green - and quite a few useful players went down at the worst time - Avery Bradley, Chris Wilcox, Jermaine O'Neal. And yet, a lot of things also went right for the Celtics. The lockout-shortened season saved their stamina and several players' injuries helped their playoff run. First, it was Al Horford ( ;D), who was out for most of the season until Game 4 of the first round of Hawks/Celtics, then it was Derrick Rose's ACL tear, then Chris Bosh was out with the abdomen strain until game 5 of the ECF. A lot could have been different if just one of those guys had been healthy.

There are a lot of what-ifs surrounding 2012...