Author Topic: Big Miss on Blatche  (Read 10305 times)

Re: Big Miss on Blatche
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
KG hates him. Bet he hates KG too.

Wish we would have kept Darko. Would have been an upgrade over Collins. I don't blame Doc for everything but he's not perfect.

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I hate to keep harping on it but the mentality of "let's not sign a headcase" amongst the fanbase and seemingly echoed by the team owners is a bit pompous.  A guy with his potential at that cost shoulda been signed and the organization shoulda done what it could to help him fit in.   I respect teams that wanna keep a certian image but sometimes its done to a fault.

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:46 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
what if we did see if he wanted to come and he didnt want to? its not like we can pick and choose which free agents come to boston.

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 05:47:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont even know why this thread was madee most of you didnt even want the Celtics to sign him, i was one of the very few

And you can have him, right along with his "associates". I'm SO glad this guy came no where near the Celtics. As Doc states reputations aren't given, they're created. This guys a B-U-M.

A guy for the vet. Minimum. Whos producing better than our backup forward Brandon Bass and making less money? A guy who may have flaws but rebounding is not one of them, which is something we could really use? A guy who seems to be headed on the right path now outside of the Washington commebt and the recent sexual assault, who he may not be a part of, is a bum?

Then what makes the other forwards whos producing less and getting paud more? Ultra bums?

Andray Baltche has half a season of good but not great production as a backup 5, with a history of off-court issues and lockerroom cancerfication, in a contract year.

While at this point, it might have played out, and he most definitely would've filled a need, at the point of signing, he looked like a lemon with a rap sheet, and there is still a great chance that's what he'll revert to.

I understand the risk. In this game you gotta take risk.

But look at what we're missing, on a vet. minimum deal risk. The reward, which Brooklyn is reaping right now, was well worth it.

That's all I'm saying.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
KG hates him. Bet he hates KG too.

Wish we would have kept Darko. Would have been an upgrade over Collins. I don't blame Doc for everything but he's not perfect.

Isn't it more like Darko left than doc got rid of him?

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko, Blatche I do not think anyone of them would have made a huge difference.   I can not stand Blatche, he thinks he is a small forward.   We have enough jump shooters and prior to this season he was viewed as heartless.

I do not understand the infatuation with Darko.  He is one of the worst picks in NBA history and has won out his welcome on numerous teams. 

I wish we would have got a big like Camby or the like.  You know a guy that defend the rim and double digit rebounds.

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 07:39:17 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Didn't we sign Sheed a couple of seasons ago to the MLE, when he was at that stage of his career in which he was taking more three pointers than his total rebounds or something :)

If someone like Sheed couldn't shake up KG's authority in the locker room, someone like Blatche couldn't possibly do it. Granted, Blatche isn't a true C, so, if he backed up KG at C, he wouldn't be doing great, provided he was going to be partnered with Bass/Sullinger. 

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
blatche is helping his team win more games than anyone on the celtics bench. had 20 and 7 in 22 minutes. if jeff green had even one game like this everyone here would be raving about how much of a steal he is.

Jeff has had games like that. They have raved.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Low ball IQ, locker room trouble, questions of heart and desire. A mix between JaVale McGre and Big Baby for me (attitude and smarts wise). I still pass on him no question.

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Low ball IQ, locker room trouble, questions of heart and desire. A mix between JaVale McGre and Big Baby for me (attitude and smarts wise). I still pass on him no question.

Other than possibly attitude (the only attitude I've seen is that he wanted to be a starter), Baby didn't have any of the other problems you listed.  He has a decent to high BBIQ and always plays with heart and desire. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Other than possibly attitude (the only attitude I've seen is that he wanted to be a starter), Baby didn't have any of the other problems you listed.  He has a decent to high BBIQ and always plays with heart and desire.

His IQ on shot selection certainly wasn't as high as you suggest. Heart and desire I can definitely agree with however.

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Darko, Blatche I do not think anyone of them would have made a huge difference.   I can not stand Blatche, he thinks he is a small forward.   We have enough jump shooters and prior to this season he was viewed as heartless.

I do not understand the infatuation with Darko.  He is one of the worst picks in NBA history and has won out his welcome on numerous teams. 

I wish we would have got a big like Camby or the like.  You know a guy that defend the rim and double digit rebounds.

Pretty much with you on all accounts here. I'll drop at TP your way. Like I said in other post I just can't stand Blatche.

I think Darko would have been a nice addition for us in the starting lineup however.

But I am definitely with you on Camby however. He would have been the perfect offseason addition to this squad. I mena he played 10 minutes the other night against us and got ten rebounds. Even though he's ancient he still plays efficient ball and doesnt needs the ball on offense to make an impact on the game. Just rebound and provide rim protection, while being in the right place for the easy buckets.

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
what if we did see if he wanted to come and he didnt want to? its not like we can pick and choose which free agents come to boston.

Well there wasn't a single report linking any interest at all with the Celtics and Blatche.

Would be pretty odd. From my knowledge the only team with any interest was the nets. So a lot of teams blew it.

No matter how much you hate him or think he's terrible for a lockerroom or doesn't play defense, he was still worth a vet minimum signing in every way shape and form because there is exactly zero risk.

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Blatche has a 23.80 PER. That puts him at 9th in the league. Not that PER is the be all, end all, but the Celtics have one player in the top 30 - Paul Pierce...who is #30.

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Blatche is having a good season, but I think it's a bit over-the-top to say that it was a "big miss."

People need to remember that this is a player who had been in the league for 7 seasons, and had been largely terrible in ALL of them. There is a reason that he was sitting on the scrap heap for the vet's minimum. There was no reason in the summer that we should have signed him. Yeah, in retrospect, it looks like he improved his game enough that he would have been a great addition, but that's just hindsight talking.

He is having a career year in points, rebounds, steals, shooting percentages, etc. We don't even know if it is sustainable yet, for all we know he will regress for the rest of the season. But still, we are talking about a complete out-of-nowhere renovation of his game. So it's disingenuous to say that it was a "big miss," because based on the way Blatche had played the last 7 seasons there was no reason to want him besides size.

It's like people harping on Danny Ainge accusing him of screwing up by not drafting Deandre Jordan. Yes, with hindsight, we can see that it might have been a good call, but he was drafted in the 2nd round, so literally every other team in the league passed on him as well.

That's the whole point of a surprise draft pick or a surprise MIP-candidate, it's a SURPRISE. Every team passed on Blatche, reasonably considering his career up to that point. The Nets took a gamble, and it ended up working out because he had an amazing turnaround in his level of play. They got lucky. It happens sometimes. But then using it as a flimsy excuse to attack Danny Ainge for somehow not being able to see the future is pointless.