Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 121950 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #750 on: July 11, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Source: Several teams - inc the #Grizzlies and #Nets - have inquired about a S-T w/the #Celtics for RFA Marcus Smart, who has already met with Brooklyn. Source also says that Boston has had zero communication or contact w/Smart.

Link?

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1017199132799262720

« Reply #751 on: July 11, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Source: Several teams - inc the #Grizzlies and #Nets - have inquired about a S-T w/the #Celtics for RFA Marcus Smart, who has already met with Brooklyn. Source also says that Boston has had zero communication or contact w/Smart.

Link?

Anybody else still at that point where your first instinct when you read something like this is, "No, we can't do anything to help Brooklyn!" And then I remember...

Mike

« Reply #752 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Everyone is worried a lot about the tax when DA said today that they expect to be tax payers (was talking this season). They just don't want to overpay Smart just to keep him (my words not theirs).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #753 on: July 11, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Link?

Anybody else still at that point where your first instinct when you read something like this is, "No, we can't do anything to help Brooklyn!" And then I remember...

Mike

I's like to know who the other teams are. Out side Jackson Jr, the Nets and Griz don't really have much to offer.

« Reply #754 on: July 11, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think Nets are trying to free up cap space to make a offer on Smart.  We need to get something done before they have a chance right?

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1017135849702658048

Oklahoma City looking to get something for Carmelo Anthony and talking to Brooklyn about a deal, with Jeremy Lin potentially going to OKC, per sources. Nets looking to get pick(s). Want to move Lin and would buy out Melo.
The Nets are trying to get future draft picks. You don't try to open up cap space by trading for a $28 million a year player and releasing him or buying him out. If the Nets were looking to free up space to sign a player there are easier ways than trading for Carmelo Anthony.

I think the idea is that they would use the stretch provision on Anthony.  If waived before Aug 31, Anthony's remaining year can be stretched across 3 years, reducing the cap hit from 27.9M down to 9.3M per year.

So, if the Nets trade Lin (12.5M) plus, say Carroll (15.4M), for Anthony plus draft picks they can

clear a roster spot
waive Anthony and clear 18.6M of space

That's just one possibility.  Not saying I have any idea whether the Nets want to do this.

If the Nets are genuinely attempting to trade for Carmelo with the intention of immediately waiving him, it's almost certainly to clear the final year of Allen Crabbe's contract from their cap sheet and go into the 2019 Offseason Of Many Stars with almost perfectly clean books (aside from, hilariously, a $5.4m charge for Deron Williams) by eating the entire charge this season (what they did with Dwight), not in an attempt to waive and stretch Carmelo so they can offer Marcus $80 million in the next few weeks. 

« Reply #755 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think Nets are trying to free up cap space to make a offer on Smart.  We need to get something done before they have a chance right?

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1017135849702658048

Oklahoma City looking to get something for Carmelo Anthony and talking to Brooklyn about a deal, with Jeremy Lin potentially going to OKC, per sources. Nets looking to get pick(s). Want to move Lin and would buy out Melo.
The Nets are trying to get future draft picks. You don't try to open up cap space by trading for a $28 million a year player and releasing him or buying him out. If the Nets were looking to free up space to sign a player there are easier ways than trading for Carmelo Anthony.

I think the idea is that they would use the stretch provision on Anthony.  If waived before Aug 31, Anthony's remaining year can be stretched across 3 years, reducing the cap hit from 27.9M down to 9.3M per year.

So, if the Nets trade Lin (12.5M) plus, say Carroll (15.4M), for Anthony plus draft picks they can

clear a roster spot
waive Anthony and clear 18.6M of space

That's just one possibility.  Not saying I have any idea whether the Nets want to do this.

If the Nets are genuinely attempting to trade for Carmelo with the intention of immediately waiving him, it's almost certainly to clear the final year of Allen Crabbe's contract from their cap sheet and go into the 2019 Offseason Of Many Stars with almost perfectly clean books (aside from, hilariously, a $5.4m charge for Deron Williams) by eating the entire charge this season (what they did with Dwight), not in an attempt to waive and stretch Carmelo so they can offer Marcus $80 million in the next few weeks.

Marcus Smart $80mm? Lol they can take him

« Reply #756 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:07 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Marcus Smart $80mm? Lol they can take him

Just, uh...…..just not gonna read the whole post, huh?

« Reply #757 on: July 11, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Link?

Who would we get in the sign and trade? Would it be a pick?

« Reply #758 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm getting the feeling the Celtics maybe know more about the Smart issue than we do.

It's almost like the hand thing bugged them more than they let on. Maybe a lot more.

« Reply #759 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm getting the feeling the Celtics maybe know more about the Smart issue than we do.

It's almost like the hand thing bugged them more than they let on. Maybe a lot more.
Agree completely. Last year apparently the Cs offered 4 years at over $11 million per, Smart said no. After an injury riddled season, 11 games lost to a self-inflicted injury, and another awful offensive season, the front office isn't exactly jumping up and down to offer him an offer. It seems like they have even stepped back and removed that offer they gave him before last season.

Behind the scenes, I agree completely, the Celtics know a ton more that people don't that perhaps has soured their stance on Smart.

I have to say, having a player act so immaturely as to punch a glass picture and hurt himself in anger hours after the loss that left him out for 11 games(and luckily not more as reports are he came very close to doing much more severe damage), would make me deeply question giving such a person a long term lucrative contract.

« Reply #760 on: July 11, 2018, 11:39:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ever notice how under Brad anyone that gets out of line even a little ends up gone? Sully. Rondo. IT. Now Smart. And before that Ainge dealt with Big Baby, Delonte, and Ray back in the day. Even a guy or two who really improved had to get paid somewhere else. Like KO.

The Celts have kind of become a place for only 3 kinds of players....stars totally doing their jobs (like Al or Tatum). If you're a former star not doing your job you go to the Nets. Right Pierce? Another kind of player is a cheap as heck one with a lot to prove. Like Evan Turner or Shane Larkin or Theis. Another kind of player is a guy on a rookie deal.

Not a lot of role players. Baynes. Baynes is the role player at a mid level. And that's practically it.

There are no non stars that got paid and stuck around. That doesn't happen here.

« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Ever notice how under Brad anyone that gets out of line even a little ends up gone? Sully. Rondo. IT. Now Smart. And before that Ainge dealt with Big Baby, Delonte, and Ray back in the day. Even a guy or two who really improved had to get paid somewhere else. Like KO.

The Celts have kind of become a place for only 3 kinds of players....stars totally doing their jobs (like Al or Tatum). If you're a former star not doing your job you go to the Nets. Right Pierce? Another kind of player is a cheap as heck one with a lot to prove. Like Evan Turner or Shane Larkin or Theis. Another kind of player is a guy on a rookie deal.

Not a lot of role players. Baynes. Baynes is the role player at a mid level. And that's practically it.

There are no non stars that got paid and stuck around. That doesn't happen here.

What you're saying is they don't give stiffs big deals. One reason they like picks, young cheap guys who fill out a roster..

« Reply #762 on: July 11, 2018, 11:44:27 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Agree completely. Last year apparently the Cs offered 4 years at over $11 million per, Smart said no. After an injury riddled season, 11 games lost to a self-inflicted injury, and another awful offensive season, the front office isn't exactly jumping up and down to offer him an offer. It seems like they have even stepped back and removed that offer they gave him before last season.

Behind the scenes, I agree completely, the Celtics know a ton more that people don't that perhaps has soured their stance on Smart.

I have to say, having a player act so immaturely as to punch a glass picture and hurt himself in anger hours after the loss that left him out for 11 games(and luckily not more as reports are he came very close to doing much more severe damage), would make me deeply question giving such a person a long term lucrative contract.

They're saying all the right things publicly but it seems they're ready to move on. Rosier frankly is much better and much less headache

« Reply #763 on: July 12, 2018, 01:08:01 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

They're saying all the right things publicly but it seems they're ready to move on. Rosier frankly is much better and much less headache

I do find it strange if there is any truth to the lack of communication from the Celtics if they plan on matching.

Either the source is lying or the Celtics do not intend to match.

If it’s the latter, the Celtics should be careful because his options are running out and he may be forced to accept the QO and they may get stuck with a guy they alienated... who is playing for a contract as an UFA with a NTC. That could end poorly.

Hopefully everything works out for Smart and us, hopefully together.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2018, 01:12:34 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I do find it strange if there is any truth to the lack of communication from the Celtics if they plan on matching.

Either the source is lying or the Celtics do not intend to match.

If it’s the latter, the Celtics should be careful because his options are running out and he may be forced to accept the QO and they may get stuck with a guy they alienated... who is playing for a contract as an UFA with a NTC. That could end poorly.

Hopefully everything works out for Smart and us, hopefully together.

There is zero chance of that happening
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.