Author Topic: Semi and Williams  (Read 3988 times)

Re: Semi and Williams
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
]Semi tied for 5th with 40.5 vertical
Tied for 8th in sprint
And was 3rd in lane agility.
Semi may not have length but it is hard to that elite lateral and vertical in a player that strong.
Semi is only now getting comfortable on court. Last two years shot about 32% from three 
 2019-20  Semi is shooting 37%.
 I''m not sure but 2nd half of last year shot the three at a decent average but it was weighed down by early season slump
Semi shot 39.4% (11-28) from three over his last 24 games last year, so TP for kinda getting it right rollie. And yes, that did make up for a terrible start to the season as Semi shot just 27.9%(17-61) over his first 32 games of the season.

Now take those last 24 games, add them to his 6 playoff games, where Semi was 3-5 from three, and to his 20 games this year, where Semi is 10-27 from three and over Semi's 50 straight games played, he is shooting 40% from three(24-60).

That is very encouraging!

I agree, very encouraging!

Even 60 shots is a small sample size; but there doesn’t seem to be any reason why he couldn’t keep it up there. The form is excellent and consistent, and by all accounts he’s the hardest worker on the team. He might not be a vocal leader, but his intense dedication is an invaluable kind of leadership.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tied for 8th in sprint
Semi may not have length but it is hard to that elite lateral and vertical in a player that strong.
Semi is only now getting comfortable on court. Last two years shot about 32% from three 
 I''m not sure but 2nd half of last year shot the three at a decent average but it was weighed down by early season slump
Semi shot 39.4% (11-28) from three over his last 24 games last year, so TP for kinda getting it right rollie. And yes, that did make up for a terrible start to the season as Semi shot just 27.9%(17-61) over his first 32 games of the season.

Now take those last 24 games, add them to his 6 playoff games, where Semi was 3-5 from three, and to his 20 games this year, where Semi is 10-27 from three and over Semi's 50 straight games played, he is shooting 40% from three(24-60).

Even 60 shots is a small sample size; but there doesn’t seem to be any reason why he couldn’t keep it up there. The form is excellent and consistent, and by all accounts he’s the hardest worker on the team. He might not be a vocal leader, but his intense dedication is an invaluable kind of leadership.
Not sure if you read or heard the post game comments from the other night but Jaylen, Stevens and a couple others praised Semi's vocal defensive calls that helped anchor the team's defense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. By the way I stole the word anchor from Brown who used it to describe Semi on defense. Not sure how quiet Semi is around the team or in the media but as long as he is vocal on the court, I'm good.😁

Also, 60 shots is a small sample size but given he has limited minutes and, because Semi is often the 4th or 5th option, limited attempts, for him to be 40% over a 50 game stretch, has to give Stevens confidence that Semi can be a consistent contributor as a rotation guy. And because Semi is a very good defender, if he keeps up his shooting efficiency, maybe even an expanded role.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:41:41 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Tied for 8th in sprint

Not sure if you read or heard the post game comments from the other night but Jaylen, Stevens and a couple others praised Semi's vocal defensive calls that helped anchor the team's defense in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. By the way I stole the word anchor from Brown who used it to describe Semi on defense. Not sure how quiet Semi is around the team or in the media but as long as he is vocal on the court, I'm good.

Also, 60 shots is a small sample size but given he has limited minutes and, because Semi is often the 4th or 5th option, limited attempts, for him to be 40% over a 50 game stretch, has to give Stevens confidence that Semi can be a consistent contributor as a rotation guy. And because Semi is a very good defender, if he keeps up his shooting efficiency, maybe even an expanded role.

While you’re mentioning Stevens he said this in his post-game:

Quote from: Brad Stevens on Semi Ojeleye

I just think he’s really improved. I feel really good when he shoots the ball. He’s worked really hard on his shot, nobody spends more time - we’ve talked about that.

He made a huge shot tonight when they cut it to 5 and he hit the 3 [on the] out of bounds [play] on a nice pass from Brad.

As for the opportunity, he’s first in line for the “power forward” slot, which is how they’re using him in his most-used lineup: Carsen/Wanamaker/Tatum/Semi/Kanter. Tatum slides down to “small forward”, Carsen guards the point guard, Wanamaker runs the offense, etc. That lineup, again in a super small sample size, has a defensive rating of .95 points per possession, which is excellent.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do think Grant will figure it out, he is a smart dude.