Author Topic: 20 Things Boys Can Do to Become Men by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar  (Read 3928 times)

20 Things Boys Can Do to Become Men by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 119
http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/kareems-20-tips-son-150200306.html#!kDpON

I stopped reading after the last paragraph in #3.  What a terrible thing to teach kids to do!

Re: 20 Things Boys Can Do to Become Men by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Wow, I just read that one paragraph.  You are right, that is pretty ridiculous on so many levels.  That one paragraph sounds like it was in the onion.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Am I missing something?  He emphasizes never, ever fighting if there's any way out, even in the cliche "stand up to the bully" way.  Then he says if there's really absolutely no alternative, to hit once in a sensitive spot and try and run while the other guy is in pain.  That doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I got no love for Kareem as a Laker, but generally regard the man as a thoughtful person from the interviews I've read/heard. I don't see the problem with this article .

I didn't parse every word but did read #3 and i don't see the issue either. he says "Avoid a physical fight-if you can." maybe it's b/c i tend to agree with his comment "...violence tends to beget violence."
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!