Author Topic: Concert Discussion  (Read 19276 times)

Concert Discussion
« on: August 21, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Had a good run with the Driving Tunes thread last month trying to find a good summer topic.  Trying again with a thread on concerts people have attended.

What's the first concert you attended?
What's the best/favorite concert you attended?
What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most?
What's the last concert you went to?
What's the worst concert you went to?
What concert was better than you expected?
What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)?

Feel free to add more discussion items -- I'm sure I missed several worth mentioning.

My info:
--What's the first concert you attended?  Cheap Trick -- All Shook Up tour
--What's the best/favorite concert you attended?    J Geils Band - last Christmas concert in Providence before Peter Wolf left the band.   1982
--What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most?  AC/DC
--What's the last concert you went to?  AC/DC --> last tour they'll likely do with Brian Johnson
--What's the worst concert you went to?  Tough call.  The Cheap Trick concert focussed on their All Shook Album which was the beginning of their downfall in popularity.  Aerosmith in the early 80's after Joe Perry left and Steve Tyler was barely coherent (also couldn't see the stage due to being way back on the floor and being short)
--What concert was better than you expected?  John Fogerty.  Music was everything I had hoped for and was surprised at how good a musician he was.
--What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? 
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Alice in Chains (with Lane Staley), AC/DC (with Brian Johnson and Malcolm Young), The Black Crowes (breakup),  Yes (with Chris Squire - only member who stayed the whole run),  J Giels (break up and death of J Geils), Pink Floyd (death of Richard Wright).

hope to get a good session of reminiscing while waiting for the Celtics season to get underway.

Re: Concert Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's the first concert you attended? Jimmy Buffett at Great Woods mid to late 90s.
What's the best/favorite concert you attended? Arcade Fire/The National at UIC in 2010, LCD Soundsystem at Lolla '16.
What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Arcade Fire (I think)
What's the last concert you went to? Lollapalooza 2018 (all 4 days)
What's the worst concert you went to? MGMT at The Riv (Chicago) this past winter/spring
What concert was better than you expected? Paul McCartney, Two Door Cinema Club, Muse
What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? The Who (saw when Entwhistle was still alive), AC/DC (saw at New Garden in '09) 

A lot of this is thinking at the top of my head.  I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch of stuff.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
What's the first concert you attended? Jimmy Buffett at Great Woods mid to late 90s.
What's the best/favorite concert you attended? Arcade Fire/The National at UIC in 2010, LCD Soundsystem at Lolla '16.
What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Arcade Fire (I think)
What's the last concert you went to? Lollapalooza 2018 (all 4 days)
What's the worst concert you went to? MGMT at The Riv (Chicago) this past winter/spring
What concert was better than you expected? Paul McCartney, Two Door Cinema Club, Muse
What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? The Who (saw when Entwhistle was still alive), AC/DC (saw at New Garden in '09) 

A lot of this is thinking at the top of my head.  I'm sure I'm overlooking a bunch of stuff.
envious of you getting to see the Who with Entwhistle.  inspired me to want to be a bass player (never became one but he and Jack Bruce showed me bass players could be great musicians as well).  TP

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First concert was Rush during the Motion Pictures tour in I think 1981.

Best concert was probably Bruce Springstein at the Centrum in 1988 where he forgot the words to "Born to Run". Thankfully we in the audience didn't and we sang it until he remembered them.

Been to more AC/DC concerts than any other band, which more than likely is responsible for my current lack of hearing. Lol.

Lack concert I went to was Green Day in Providence back in the late 90's. I think Green Day's next tour after that was American Idiot tour, which I missed and that sucks.

It's not the worst concert I ever went to but it might have been the funniest. I saw Billy Idol at Foxwoods and he was drunk or on something. He twice tripped over a stage speaker while singing a song. After the second trip, in the middle of "White Wedding", he decided to finish the song lying down on the stage.

I went to J Giels Band concert during the Freeze Frame tour. I don't think they will ever get together again as John Giels died.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Best concert was probably Bruce Springstein at the Centrum in 1988 where he forgot the words to "Born to Run". Thankfully we in the audience didn't and we sang it until he remembered them.

Been to more AC/DC concerts than any other band, which more than likely is responsible for my current lack of hearing. Lol.

Lack concert I went to was Green Day in Providence back in the late 90's. I think Green Day's next tour after that was American Idiot tour, which I missed and that sucks.

It's not the worst concert I ever went to but it might have been the funniest. I saw Billy Idol at Foxwoods and he was drunk or on something. He twice tripped over a stage speaker while singing a song. After the second trip, in the middle of "White Wedding", he decided to finish the song lying down on the stage.

I went to J Giels Band concert during the Freeze Frame tour. I don't think they will ever get together again as John Giels died.
90's is a long way back for your last show Nick.  seems like you get the shows that if anything goes wrong you're there for it.

hoping I'm wrong but I think Rush may be out of the touring business due to Neil Peart's health.  was glad I got to see them.

TP for playing along!

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
What's the first concert you attended? I don't remember :D

What's the best/favorite concert you attended & What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? Page & Plant  for the Wanting into Clarksdale tour.

What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Depeche mode or  Vassilikos (greek singer-songwriter , mainly in English, he did an intersting lp with covers called Vintage a few years ago)

What's the last concert you went to? Parov Stellar.

What's the worst concert you went to? The worst was Morrissey a couple of years ago. Love his music but the live was awful. He lookd bored , the set was just over an hour.... I spent more time going to the venue.

What concert was better than you expected? An acoustic set from Puressence just before the split.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Not big on concerts. Most of these are things I sneaked in for free as teenager.

Rockwave  12 July, 1999 (Manowar, traumatic experience, joined for the sake of a friend friend)
Luckily on the next day they had Blur and Placebo

REM , but my experience is so limited it doesnt count for much.

-/-

Bach music for organ and still that was a long time ago.

Easy one. Manowar

Stary Olsa. Minsk, prolly 2007. I expected it to be terrible tbh, it was more like mediocre.

Speaking of which, in Coventry they have a pub where amateur musicians gather once a week and play music. The atmosphere was amazing.

What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)?

-/-

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

What's the best/favorite concert you attended & What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? Page & Plant  for the Wanting into Clarksdale tour.

What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Depeche mode or  Vassilikos (greek singer-songwriter , mainly in English, he did an intersting lp with covers called Vintage a few years ago)

What's the worst concert you went to? The worst was Morrissey a couple of years ago. Love his music but the live was awful. He lookd bored , the set was just over an hour.... I spent more time going to the venue.

What concert was better than you expected? An acoustic set from Puressence just before the split.

Page/Plant must have been a blast.  TP

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Not big on concerts. Most of these are things I sneaked in for free as teenager.

Rockwave  12 July, 1999 (Manowar, traumatic experience, joined for the sake of a friend friend)
Luckily on the next day they had Blur and Placebo

REM , but my experience is so limited it doesnt count for much.

-/-

Bach music for organ and still that was a long time ago.

Easy one. Manowar

Stary Olsa. Minsk, prolly 2007. I expected it to be terrible tbh, it was more like mediocre.

Speaking of which, in Coventry they have a pub where amateur musicians gather once a week and play music. The atmosphere was amazing.

-/-
definitely a variety of styles there.  TP

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

A friend got me to go.... At the time i wasn't much of a fan. I was more into house and electronic sounds. But watching  Plant was a eyeopening experience. He was so theatrical .. He filled the scene without moving ... i Truly unbelievable  (to honor my music roots after the concert went to a faithless live which made the day unforgettable)

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

A friend got me to go.... At the time i wasn't much of a fan. I was more into house and electronic sounds. But watching  Plant was a eyeopening experience. He was so theatrical .. He filled the scene without moving ... i Truly unbelievable  (to honor my music roots after the concert went to a faithless live which made the day unforgettable)
those shows you go to because someone dragged you or talked you into it can be some of the best ones when they're better than expected.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

90's is a long way back for your last show Nick.  seems like you get the shows that if anything goes wrong you're there for it.

hoping I'm wrong but I think Rush may be out of the touring business due to Neil Peart's health.  was glad I got to see them.

TP for playing along!
Oh, I have seen a ton of local bands at bars and such, so I have gotten my fill of music. In St. Pete Beach in Florida I frequented a tiki bar right on the beach that had bands playing every day and night. Heard and danced to a ton of cover bands there. But that's not really a concert. I stopped going to concerts because fatherhood of three boys made life after work impossible to get free time. 60 hours a week at work, soccer games, baseball games and football games plus all the practices made me too freaking tired to think about concerts.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Cool thread - tp to the op!

What's the first concert you attended? NKOTB - Magic Summer 1990 at Foxborough
What's the best/favorite concert you attended? Bad Religion - 1998 Middle East Cambridge
What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Bad Religion (fave band)
What's the last concert you went to? Final Warped Tour - 8/3/18 Orlando (Pennywise, New Found Glory, Less than Jake, Simple Plan, Reel Big Fish)
What's the worst concert you went to? The Monsters and The Ghosks at the Elvis Room in Portsmouth, NH - 1999
What concert was better than you expected? Herman's Hermits last year at Epcot
What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? No Use For a Name - a bunch of times - RIP Tony Sly
Next Concert? Alkaline Trio this coming Sunday - HOB Orlando

[Reputable] punk shows are the best shows. They are generally at small enough venues where you can still slam dance (no real seating), but not be worried about going home with a black eye or missing teeth.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

TP for playing along!
Oh, I have seen a ton of local bands at bars and such, so I have gotten my fill of music. In St. Pete Beach in Florida I frequented a tiki bar right on the beach that had bands playing every day and night. Heard and danced to a ton of cover bands there. But that's not really a concert. I stopped going to concerts because fatherhood of three boys made life after work impossible to get free time. 60 hours a week at work, soccer games, baseball games and football games plus all the practices made me too freaking tired to think about concerts.
yeah, kids can put a real crimp into free time. 

my wife works early hours and is typically out cold by 8:00 pm.  went to the Black Crowes on a Friday or Saturday and she passed out cold by the second or third song. 

following up on your take on "not really a concert", I went to a George Carlin show which would qualify as my worst concert if that was considered.  Right off the bat he tells the audience he's not doing anything new, just rehashing bits from 2 old HBO specials.   Considering what he charged, that was complete BS.  (would also fit in my 'will never see perform again' section).

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Cool thread - tp to the op!

What's the first concert you attended? NKOTB - Magic Summer 1990 at Foxborough
What's the best/favorite concert you attended? Bad Religion - 1998 Middle East Cambridge
What's the performer/band you've seen in concert the most? Bad Religion (fave band)
What's the last concert you went to? Final Warped Tour - 8/3/18 Orlando (Pennywise, New Found Glory, Less than Jake, Simple Plan, Reel Big Fish)
What's the worst concert you went to? The Monsters and The Ghosks at the Elvis Room in Portsmouth, NH - 1999
What concert was better than you expected? Herman's Hermits last year at Epcot
What performer/band did you see that will never perform again (break up or death)? No Use For a Name - a bunch of times - RIP Tony Sly
Next Concert? Alkaline Trio this coming Sunday - HOB Orlando

[Reputable] punk shows are the best shows. They are generally at small enough venues where you can still slam dance (no real seating), but not be worried about going home with a black eye or missing teeth.
TP just for having the guts to admit going to a NKOTB show  ;D

admit to never having heard of the rest of them.