Author Topic: Oscars -- Thoughts About Racial Inequality  (Read 29863 times)

Re: Oscars -- Thoughts About Racial Inequality
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s a multi-fold answer.

“Identity marketing”.  I’m sure marketing to a largely white audience plays a role.

Cultural stereotypes. Our culture seems to have defined “beautiful” and “white” as synonymous.  Scarlet Johannson and Jennifer Lawrence get roles not only because of talent, but because they conform to society’s view of what beauty is.

Movies that are majority-black cast tend to only target “black” audiences, and a subset of black audiences at that.  There are very few Black Panthers or The Cosby Shows, despite many movies and TV shows that are majority black casts.

Oscars have a “type”. Many Oscar contenders are fairly nichey. They fall outside the mainstream. Take Black Panther: awesome movie, but not necessarily the type of movie that would typically be nominated.

Source material. A lot of books, historical accounts, etc., are from an era when blacks were marginalized much moreso. In adapting screen plays, changing the race of a character creates instant controversy about not being “true” to the source material.

Lots of others, but I’ve got to get my kids ready for school, haha.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:52:47 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:20 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I hate all this PC nonsense.  Just gives ammunition to white supremacist crowd.  Not only is the current US population still predominantly white but US history and modern world history has been predominantly driven by white European males.  Since movies are often historical there are going to be a lot of actors with white skin color in them. 

Labeling movies as "white movies" because they have a largely white cast is rather racist in my mind.  Cary Grant and Sidney Poitier were both great actors and two of my all-time favorites who just happen to have different skin coloring.  To separate them into being a "white actor" and a "black actor" is nonsense. 

The population that has much more of a complaint in Hollywood, and society in general, is women regardless of their race.  If I ask you to name top black actors, it is easy to start rattling them off: Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Samuel Jackson, Idris Elba, ...  Now name top black actresses:  ...  Older actors are still able to get good roles.  Older actresses not named Meryl Streep: ... Don't wait by the phone. 

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think that Hollywood has been guilty in this regard for many years.  I think they have improved a great deal. 

Here is a census of America by race:

White alone, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(a)   76.9%
Black or African American alone, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(a)   13.3%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(a)   1.3%
Asian alone, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(a)   5.7%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(a)   0.2%
Hispanic or Latino, percent, July 1, 2016, (V2016)(b)    17.8%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045216

If we use this census then 77% of role ought to go to whites, 13 to African Americans,  Etc.   I am not certain that would be fair, but statistically it would be correct.   

I think a lot of this is Hollywood trying to make up for their shady past in this regard.   I mean they did discriminate heavily in the past with stuff like folks not getting roles and using black face which was a bad thing.  A good actor is a good actor, and race really does not play a factor for me in that regard.   I know Will Smith was upset a few years away but let's get real he is not the best actor or of the caliber of Morgan Freeman, or Denzel Washington in terms of acting chops. 

I think the fanboys have punished movies that changed the races of major characters.   Gunslinger is a good example as the latest Fantastic Four.   Comic book guys are loyal movie goers but no one wants to see a beloved character changed to please others.   These movies bombed.  Marvel Disney has done this best and not paid a price.   Nick Fury is a great example of a change that was embraced but we are talking Samuel L . Jackson who exudes cool.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think films are more diverse than they were. For example look at Last Jedi vs a New Hope.

But we watch a certain number of foreign films that are even whiter in some circumstances and maybe it gives us a whiter impression of things.

For example, the original Harry Potter films had an all-English actor rule. It got a little more diverse when they came to America in the Fantastic Beast films. 

All the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff....of course it will be pretty white.

Then of course you get XMen with blue people. Blue people are very rare in Hollywood.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think the fanboys have punished movies that changed the races of major characters.   Gunslinger is a good example as the latest Fantastic Four.   

Idris Elba is a good actor. However, (book spoilers) Roland is white.  Susannah is black. A huge part of their mythology is the interaction between Susannah’s racist alter-ego and Roland, along with the Odetta / Detta split. Race isn’t interchangeable, particularly in this instance; it is essential to the characters.

But, the Dark Tower sucked because it was a terrible script, was underbudgeted, and focused more on Jake than Roland.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Internet searches and social media mentions for "inclusion rider" spiked late Sunday night after Frances McDormand urged other actors to ask for them in contracts as a way to ensure gender and racial diversity in films.

"I have two words to leave with you tonight, ladies and gentlemen: inclusion rider," McDormand said, concluding her powerful acceptance speech for winning the best actress Oscar.

She expounded on the meaning of the term while speaking with reporters backstage, saying the clause allows actors to "demand at least 50 percent diversity in not only the casting, but also the crew."

Lol. Quotas. That should make for better movies.  Who cares about most qualified, let’s straight up discriminate.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Hollywood sure loves patting itself on the back feels like there is an award show every other weekend.

People legit watch these things huh?
ok fine

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I watch movies or shows that are captivating and entertaining. I don't care what the demographic of the cast looks like.

But it'd be awfully weird to watch a movie about Larry Bird played by a Hispanic woman. I don't think that would likely be very captivating, nor entertaining.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Last night's Oscars was very Non-Political, and not even that much was said about the me too movement.  It did a great job focusing on the people who craft films.

Hollywood sure loves patting itself on the back feels like there is an award show every other weekend.

Every single industry in this country gives awards.  Every State gives out a "teacher of the year" award, a lot of workplaces give out monthly awards for best employee.  Any kind of artistic industry has awards.  Awards are given to the vast majority of professions.

So this isnt just a Hollywood thing. 

I love that the Oscars spend the Majority of the evening highlighting the work of people behind the camera.  There are only 4 actor awards, the rest of the night is for the people who get little to no recognition for what they do.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Last night's Oscars was very Non-Political, and not even that much was said about the me too movement.  It did a great job focusing on the people who craft films.

Every single industry in this country gives awards.  Every State gives out a "teacher of the year" award, a lot of workplaces give out monthly awards for best employee.  Any kind of artistic industry has awards.  Awards are given to the vast majority of professions.

I love that the Oscars spend the Majority of the evening highlighting the work of people behind the camera.  There are only 4 actor awards, the rest of the night is for the people who get little to no recognition for what they do.

I've never once seen Microsoft's award show or West Compton High teacher of the year award show. But 6 times a year we see Hollywood do it. It's cool you enjoy it and it's also cool that I don't.
ok fine

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I've never once seen Microsoft's award show or West Compton High teacher of the year award show. But 6 times a year we see Hollywood do it. It's cool you enjoy it and it's also cool that I don't.

lol if you can't figure out why that's the case idk what to tell you.  The whole world must be very confusing.  Every single Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, DICE award, SAG, must be perplexing.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

lol if you can't figure out why that's the case idk what to tell you.  The whole world must be very confusing.  Every single Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, DICE award, SAG, must be perplexing.

Obviously lots of people care about these kinds of awards, or at least find it entertaining to watch. If no one cared it would be aired.

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to care, or should.

Personally, I don't think I've ever once watched an award show. Seems rather uninteresting to me. Not to mention, I don't care what someone else says was a good movie, song, TV show, etc. I'll form my own opinion on that, because it's the only one that matters to me, when it comes to what I find entertaining.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I watched the Oscars because I watched the nominated movies, and had an opinion on which ones were the best. My wife and I created our own ballot (just for the 6 major categories) and compared results. Thus, it was a source of entertainment for us. Not everyone likes basketball, football, or movies. No one is forcing anyone to watch the Oscars or the Super Bowl. Like anything else in this world, it is your choice to participate or not.

The inclusion rider is similar to affirmative action. I'm ok with that. Many of my white friends are not. My take is that they feel threatened by people that are not white men. In addition, I think that they fear change. Without fear/anger, why do they have such strong emotions on a topic that doesn't change their life at all (don't like the movie, don't go pay to see it).

Please, someone convince me how their life will be worse by an inclusion rider in motion pictures.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
But it'd be awfully weird to watch a movie about Larry Bird played by a Hispanic woman. I don't think that would likely be very captivating, nor entertaining.

I would unironically watch the hell out of this.

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I would unironically watch the hell out of this.

My mind immediately slipped over to noting that original Shakespeare was performed by all-male casts.

It would take a hell of a good Hispanic actress to pull it (portraying Larry Bird) off.  But if she's that good of an actress then yes, definitely worth watching.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.