Author Topic: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here  (Read 34556 times)

Re: discuss your grilling triumphs, failures, and plans here
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
So you had the cement blocks to reflect the heat? Well played!

What kind of cut did you use/how much did it cost/how heavy was it?

It was "Prime Grade" The best cut and special ordered from Miyazaki in Japan. It was 19.6lb at 22 dollars per pound( 2,200yen). This stuff is really expensive in Japan. It was worth it. Might be the only time I've had Prime grade? It's really melt in your mouth. It was worth it.

The rig was built with scraps by a boat welder who is my student. I needed hose clamps to hold it in rotational position but besides that it worked flawlessly.

excellent idea.  TP for the ingenuity

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/24/186434261/the-great-charcoal-debate-briquettes-vs-lumps
This is interesting.
I am firmly entrenched in the lump camp.  You can sear at much higher temps and it burns cleaner.  The sits they mention at the end of the article (Naked Whiz) is filled with great info!  Tho it will make you want to splurge and upgrade your grill/smoker to a Big Green Egg...

Bah, screw that mess!

I do love lump charcoal but as the article says..I just cannot regulate to save my life with it. If I'm cooking anything that requires constant low heat, its just a poor option compared with briquettes.

That said, I always have some for if I'm cooking steak, bscb, or anything that needs hot heat. In the same way that briquetts win the long-burn, lump wins the short handily.

My own personal 'test' to make sure that my grill is hot enough: If you can put a chicken breast on it unoiled right on top of the coals and it doesn't stick. That's how you know..
I love lump. My grill actually has three positions for the charcoal tray, so I can move it up and down depending on how I feel about the strength of the heat.

It's a curious test -- doesn't it make a royal mess if it fails? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
grilled pizza...always a winner
genius. This is next up on the list. FREAKIN GENIUS!  So do I buy frozen pizza or use left over pizza? Aluminum foil?

Never tried it with left over pizza.

I like to make my own pizza.  Usually I just use non-frozen pre-made dough (I guess frozen would work too, though).  First I lightly grill the topping-side, then flip the pizza and grill the bottom side.  You'll need to use foil while grilling the topping side, but isn't needed to grill the bottom (it's crispy enough at that point as to not slide through the grill).  Then while the under side is cooking I add my sauce/cheese/toppings. Just make sure not to put the sauce/cheese/toppings on until after you've grilled the topping side-that would be messy  ;)

I love grilled pizza mainly because you get a real nice crispy crust...and the grilled flavor.
thine was done....fairly successfully with left over pizza

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Cuban style. Hawaiian was too scary at this time. (having 98 people wait while a pig roasts underground and hoping everything is going right is a BBQ junkies worst f%^&! nightmare) So I built a Cuban box with coals in the corners and used construction rebar as the "cage" and it took 4 folks to rotate it. Was an awesome experience but .....nerve racking. 10 outta 10 on the "Wow" factor. Even some Americans from the Midwest who were there had never cooked an entire 90lb pig.

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jeez you need a foreman, a crew of teamsters, and a guy with a degree in engineering to BBQ with you!

Where I live, whole pig is fairly common. For $500 bucks I know a guy who will show up with a beat up pickup truck trailing a homemade smoker ( well, he calls it a smoker, but it's not) that he personally fabricated from a sandblasted oil drum and cast iron parts, and he'll find the pig, slaughter it, cook it and carve it, 2 sides included, enough for a hundred people

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »

• Al Horford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llzfm4L-apc

I got a smoker for turkeys which makes the meat drip off the bones...I could never ever ever cook it any other way. I'm not on the level of pick up truck sized smokers but you got me thinking.... ;D

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2013, 01:06:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
That's nice, I have been wanting very badly to learn to smoke turkeys, but I don't know if Id want to cook it to the point the meat falls off the bone.

I think there has got to be a way to give it like 3 good hours of smoke at like 325 and then finish it hotter, to crisp the skin and keep the meat firm and juicy.

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2013, 03:25:03 AM »

• Al Horford

I think there has got to be a way to give it like 3 good hours of smoke at like 325 and then finish it hotter, to crisp the skin and keep the meat firm and juicy.

It's soft like pulled pork and is easier to manage for me. Cooking 2 Turkey's or 1 Ham and 1 Turkey takes me 7-10 hours depending on how cold and windy it is outside.
One of the best things I have ever bought was that smoker.

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2013, 03:45:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
What brand is the smoker?

I've been jonsing after the Weber Smokey Mountain for about a year and a half now. Just can never seem to find the $300 bones to get one.

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2013, 04:34:01 AM »

• Al Horford
What brand is the smoker?

Weber. Smokey Mountain ala 1999ish.

Holds up to a 28lb turkey on top (if you curl the cooking trays) and/or 20-22lb ham or Turkey on the inner part.

If I use the water tray it adds to the cooking time but softens the meat. I usually take out the water tray for the last 2 hours and stoke the fire to crisp the skin and them lather it with butter to give it the dark brown color I like. I think you could save some bones getting a used one. It's pretty sturdy and besides maybe changing the meat thermometer it's good to go. I had a car back into this and it left a really tiny dent..the mark on the car was bigger so I was fine.

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2013, 04:45:10 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Jeez you need a foreman, a crew of teamsters, and a guy with a degree in engineering to BBQ with you!

Reading this (right after the charcoal discussion) reminds me of this, apologies if it was posted earlier:

http://www.davebarry.com/misccol/charcoal.htm

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2013, 05:21:46 AM »

• Al Horford

Reading this (right after the charcoal discussion) reminds me of this, apologies if it was posted earlier:

http://www.davebarry.com/misccol/charcoal.htm

The Rapidfire chimney starter is a thing I woulda passed on but it was a gift and it's a life saver/time saver/stress reliever/cool thing to watch.

It's in the pick glowing with coals...sounds like a little jet the way the fire sucks the air through and just dump them in to avoid the start time/when the coals are ready differential mistake some folks make with big birds and beef. Dump a load of red hot coals and you can consider it the official start time ;D

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Anyone know where I can get penguin meat

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Anyone know where I can get penguin meat
I hear the South Pole weather station settlement has a decent stock   8)

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
tried something a little different.

grilled buns with olive oil to toast them, covered with garlic and salt to season.  added thinly sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and shredded fresh basil. 

mini margharita pizzas. 

came out pretty tasty