Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 19696 times)

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2024, 11:49:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Ohtani transferred 1 million dollars to an illegal bookmaker.  That is pretty clearly a rule violation even if he wasn't the one gambling. 

And it seems pretty obvious he knew what was going on.  I mean think about this.  Mizuhara told ESPN he got into trouble and Ohtani paid his 4.5 million in debts.  Then when it became apparent that was a rule violation, the story changed and it was stolen.  But to believe that you'd have to believe Ohtani didn't see direct transfers to the bookie of 1 million dollars and that 3.5 million in other money also disappeared without him knowing.  And if you are covering your tracks on a theft, why would you pay the bookie directly.  You'd steal that million the same way you stole the other 3.5 million and not create a paper trail. 

I also find it really hard to believe there wasn't a single bet on baseball.  It might very well be the first time ever a compulsive gambling had inside information didn't use it when chasing a massive debt. 

The MLB absolutely has to suspend Ohtani for so.e period of time. If they don't a flood gate will open.  They have to send a very strong message immediately.

Again, the transferring money to the bookie is a violation of state and federal law.  MLB doesn’t need to do anything, because if he actually did something wrong that is law enforcement’s job, so it’s moot.  If law enforcement lets him go, there is zero need for MLB to perform its own investigation, because either it will find he lied to law enforcement (why would MLB want to find that?) or it will find the same thing.

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2024, 01:13:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Time to call this FraudGate or WireGate  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2024, 02:58:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Ohtani transferred 1 million dollars to an illegal bookmaker.  That is pretty clearly a rule violation even if he wasn't the one gambling. 

And it seems pretty obvious he knew what was going on.  I mean think about this.  Mizuhara told ESPN he got into trouble and Ohtani paid his 4.5 million in debts.  Then when it became apparent that was a rule violation, the story changed and it was stolen.  But to believe that you'd have to believe Ohtani didn't see direct transfers to the bookie of 1 million dollars and that 3.5 million in other money also disappeared without him knowing.  And if you are covering your tracks on a theft, why would you pay the bookie directly.  You'd steal that million the same way you stole the other 3.5 million and not create a paper trail. 

I also find it really hard to believe there wasn't a single bet on baseball.  It might very well be the first time ever a compulsive gambling had inside information didn't use it when chasing a massive debt. 

The MLB absolutely has to suspend Ohtani for so.e period of time. If they don't a flood gate will open.  They have to send a very strong message immediately.

Again, the transferring money to the bookie is a violation of state and federal law.  MLB doesn’t need to do anything, because if he actually did something wrong that is law enforcement’s job, so it’s moot.  If law enforcement lets him go, there is zero need for MLB to perform its own investigation, because either it will find he lied to law enforcement (why would MLB want to find that?) or it will find the same thing.
that is a violation of MLB rules. He has to be suspended for the transfer.  In fact, it might not be a crime for Ohtani, but it is still a rule violation. Ohtani has to be suspended or there isn't a point in having any gambling rules in the MLB because they are meaningless.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2024, 03:57:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

that is a violation of MLB rules. He has to be suspended for the transfer.  In fact, it might not be a crime for Ohtani, but it is still a rule violation. Ohtani has to be suspended or there isn't a point in having any gambling rules in the MLB because they are meaningless.

Were any of the best on baseball? Because betting on other sports is allowed for MLB players
I'm bitter.

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2024, 07:45:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Were any of the best on baseball? Because betting on other sports is allowed for MLB players

Exactly. A wild amount of pearl clutching going on without knowing any details. Unless all the resources online are wrong Ohtani could have bet 5 million on the chiefs to win the super bowl if he wanted. If he did through an illegal bookie or in a state/country where sports betting is not legal the cops will take care of it. People got to much time on their hands to get all worked up about this stuff...

It is particularly wild cause both Mo and I bet. If he bet on baseball ban him. Otherwise who cares?

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2024, 08:03:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Doesn't matter.  It wasn't a legal betting site.  Betting isn't allowed in California.  The transfer of funds to the bookie is a violation of MLB rules and the transfer came directly from Ohtani.  That is the real issue.  Ohtani transferred 1 million dollars to an illegal book maker.

I just think if you are going to regulate gambling at all, the league has to suspend Ohtani.  I'd say at least a month.  The message has to be sent, otherwise why bother. 

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2024, 08:22:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Doesn't matter.  It wasn't a legal betting site.  Betting isn't allowed in California.  The transfer of funds to the bookie is a violation of MLB rules and the transfer came directly from Ohtani.  That is the real issue.  Ohtani transferred 1 million dollars to an illegal book maker.

I just think if you are going to regulate gambling at all, the league has to suspend Ohtani.  I'd say at least a month.  The message has to be sent, otherwise why bother.

What MLB rule prohibits giving money to an illegal bookie, if that person isn't gambling themselves?  I mean, it doesn't look great, but is there a specific rule against it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2024, 06:26:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
FWIW, MLB is now investigating the Ohtani situation.

Also I don't pretend to be an expert on this kind of stuff, but I have seen a lot of reports out there saying that this could even go "higher up", meaning the FBI and other agencies get involved too. This isn't going away. It's gonna be a cloud on Ohtani and the Dodgers at least for a while to start the season. We'll see what happens, but I really think his interpreter is being made out as the "fall guy" in all of this. I mean, Ohtani just lends him 4.5 MILLION dollars willingly? Please... and if it's the other story, the interpreter just happens to steal 4.5M rather easily... there's way more to this
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:06:43 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2024, 07:32:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
FWIW, MLB is now investigating the Ohtani situation.

Also I don't pretend to be an expert on this kind of stuff, but I have seen a lot of reports out there saying that this could even go "higher up", meaning the FBI and other agencies get involved too. This isn't going away. It's gonna be a cloud on Ohtani and the Dodgers at least for a while to start the season. We'll see what happens, but I really think his interpreter is being made out as the "fall guy" in all of this. I mean, Ohtani just lends him 4.5 MILLION dollars willingly? Please... and if it's the other story, the interpreter just happens to steal 4.5M rather easily... there's way more to this

Ah, I remember the days when Tom Brady and the Patriots were getting railroaded by Roger Gooddell on Deflategate. Since Dodgers is a big market team, there will be tons of haters licking their chops and start calling for asterisks on their season and all.

It's more probable than not that Ohtani was fully aware of these allegations since he made the call to wire money transfer lol. Controversies make the world go round!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2024, 08:39:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
The league has to suspend him to start the season. At least a month.

« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2024, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

There is still a chance that Ohtani just was robbed by a close friend. The demands for a pound of flash without any information is pretty outrageous. This article has all the kind of possible outcomes of this.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/3/23/24109952/shohei-ohtani-gambling-intepreter-mlb-investigation-biggest-questions

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2024, 01:34:59 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 422
Got to have legit proof but MLB will try and sweep this under the rug..they don’t want the face of MLB or their major market player overseas to get ban for life
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2024, 01:42:09 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2498
Got to have legit proof but MLB will try and sweep this under the rug..they don’t want the face of MLB or their major market player overseas to get ban for life

Bingo. The odds of Ohtani going down for this are about equal to the odds of Adam Silver banning LeBonds for steroids or whatever.

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2024, 01:50:21 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
On a side note, I know technically the MLB season begun with the Korea series recently (Padres-Dodgers). But Red Sox (and others) have Opening Day this week. Can you feel the excitement Red Sox fans!  :P

That Red Sox rotation looks electric!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2024, 04:33:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

There is still a chance that Ohtani just was robbed by a close friend. The demands for a pound of flash without any information is pretty outrageous. This article has all the kind of possible outcomes of this.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/3/23/24109952/shohei-ohtani-gambling-intepreter-mlb-investigation-biggest-questions
If you believe that I'd like to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn.

I mean seriously, his friend steals 4.5 million, but directly transfers 500k on 2 different occasions directly to a book maker.  Why not steal all of the money the same way.  why create such a blatantly obvious paper trail?  It didn't happen.  It makes no sense.  Ohtani paid the bookie directly either 1. because he was helping a friend who got into trouble or 2. because the friend was betting on Ohtani's behalf.  Either way it is 2 direct payments from Ohtani to an illegal bookmaker.  That is a suspendable offense by itself.  That is why he has to be suspended.  That actually happened.