Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 57225 times)

Neurotic Guy, tazzmaniac, liam and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
One of my concerns of Brad when he took over the GM role, was that he may have been too close to the players and may be reluctant to trade them. Apparently, he is all about winning and will do anything to get there. Hey trader Danny, hold my beer.

I legit thought Smart would never get traded for as long as Brad was calling the shots. He seemed like Brad’s guy

- LilRip

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967
Would you trade Brogdon, Timelord, a 2024 GSW first & a 2029 unprotected first for Marcus Smart?

No? why would you do it for Jrue Holiday?

What will Jrue Holiday do as a 4th option that is so much more valuable than what Smart was doing for us?

Jrue is not going to have the touches / shot attempts to be a 17-20ppg 7-8apg guy here. Not unless they are coming at the expense of someone else's offense. His role is going to be much more similar to what Smart's role has been on offense in the playoffs over the last few seasons.

You’re devaluing context here. Holiday is a significantly better three point shooter and distributor than Smart, and he’s going to be basically out there alone given the spacing the rest of the team provides him. Given that Holiday and Smart are essentially equal defensively - if not slight advantage to Jrue given Smart’s downgrade last year - I’d much rather have Holiday out there than Smart being the recipient of those looks.

Again, you have to consider role here. Jrue is absolutely better situated to play that role than someone like Smart. I also don’t think the touches will be that much of an issue, as Jrue doesn’t seem to be the type that would be insistent on a certain amount of touches.

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Anyone checking on Forsberg right now?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2023, 01:22:51 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I have no idea if this is gonna work but I’ll give Stevens this: the man is fearless and aggressive and making moves.  I love Jrue Holiday as a player though and think he’s a great fit for this team. The issue now is depth and filling out the big men spots.

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2023, 01:23:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Anyone checking on Forsberg right now?
Currently on the Zeikim Bridge ready to jump. He must be gutted right now.

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967
Just because Holliday and Porzingis made an All-Star team or two in the past…. does not make them “All-Star Players”. Neither of them are All Stars.

Uh, Jrue *literally* made his second All Star team last year, and beyond his previous All Star year (in 2018?), KP was nearly voted an All Star last year.

They are both quite literally All Stars and excellent additions, even though we don’t even need them to be All Stars, particularly Jrue. By your logic then JB isn’t an All Star, even though he had the same situation as Jrue.

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2023, 01:28:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Just because Holliday and Porzingis made an All-Star team or two in the past…. does not make them “All-Star Players”. Neither of them are All Stars.

Uh, Jrue *literally* made his second All Star team last year, and beyond his previous All Star year (in 2018?), KP was nearly voted an All Star last year.

They are both quite literally All Stars and excellent additions, even though we don’t even need them to be All Stars, particularly Jrue. By your logic then JB isn’t an All Star, even though he had the same situation as Jrue.

I was surprised Porzingis did not make the ASG last year. He deserved to.

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2023, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 700
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Well...media day tomorrow will be interesting.

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2023, 01:30:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 543
We will have only one average to above average bench player next season. Now that bench guy will be one of the top bench guys in the league whether it is D White or Horford.

I reckon our next best bench player is Sam Hauser.
Then Payton Pritchard.
They've got an excellent starting lineup right now. White/PP/Hauser + Brissett and their other bit pieces is good enough. If you need a shot blocker/rim protector you can find that skill set for cheap in the free agent/spare part market later in the season.

Given the window they have now - which isn't super large given the contracts involved - this move absolutely makes sense. I'm liking Brad the GM better than Brad the coach - and Brad, the coach wasn't bad.

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2023, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I expect the Cs will be looking for a big. Stevens doesn't make this move without having a plan there.

« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2023, 01:34:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
So we have gone from an 8 man team to a 6 man team.

G: Smart, Brogdon
G: Jaylen, D White
F: Tatum
F: Horford, G Will
C: R Will

to

G: Jrue
G: D White
F: Jaylen
C: Porzingis, Horford

I am not sure we are better. The top of the roster is certainly better but I thought that quality depth was a major advantage over others. It feels more like swapping strengths / weaknesses for different strengths / weaknesses than actual improvement to me.

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2023, 01:38:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Would you trade Brogdon, Timelord, a 2024 GSW first & a 2029 unprotected first for Marcus Smart?

What will Jrue Holiday do as a 4th option that is so much more valuable than what Smart was doing for us?

Jrue is not going to have the touches / shot attempts to be a 17-20ppg 7-8apg guy here. Not unless they are coming at the expense of someone else's offense. His role is going to be much more similar to what Smart's role has been on offense in the playoffs over the last few seasons.

Relax man. We aren't winning the chip this year without Jrue. We may not win it this year or next,  but definitely not winning it without him.

If he goes to the Heat we are in trouble. We will now beat the Bucks guaranteed.  We are the second best team in the league as it stands right now.

Like it or not Brad is playing for Titles. It's not for the weak. Just ask the Bucks. Holiday was the heart if that team.

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2023, 01:38:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Feels like D White is going to be the guy responsible for tying everything together and keeping everyone happy. Then Jrue in 2nd place.

I don't think Jaylen, Tatum or Porzingis are capable of this. And I expect Horford to be even further into the background on offense next season (in order to make way for new scorers) so incapable of doing this also.

D White the guy to identify whatever holes there are and fill them in order to make a group of individuals a team. Then Jrue in support of D White. Leadership certainly looks like it is going to come from the backcourt.

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2023, 01:39:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Relax man. We aren't winning the chip this year without Jrue. We may not win it this year or next,  but definitely not winning it without him.

If he goes to the Heat we are in trouble. We will now beat the Bucks guaranteed.  We are the second best team in the league as it stands right now.

Like it or not Brad is playing for Titles. It's not for the weak. Just ask the Bucks. Holiday was the heart if that team.

Who do you have as the best team?

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2023, 01:40:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So we have gone from an 8 man team to a 6 man team.

G: Smart, Brogdon
G: Jaylen, D White
F: Horford, G Will
C: R Will

to

I am not sure we are better. The top of the roster is certainly better but I thought that quality depth was a major advantage over others. It feels more like swapping strengths / weaknesses for different strengths / weaknesses than actual improvement to me.

Will be fun looking through this thread if the Cs win the title. You still have yet to tell everyone what you would have done this offseason differently. I think we all agree they could not stand pat.