Author Topic: Cavs Worse with Shaq?  (Read 3240 times)

Re: Cavs Worse with Shaq?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Props to the original poster on this thread.  I've been saying this since they acquired Shaq in the offseason.  I just do not think that he fits the mold for what is best in terms of building around James.

They need mobile big men that can play defense and get out on a break with him.  What he has is Z, Shaq and Side Show Bob.  I celebrated this move by Ferry because of how good it could be for us.  Not one of those guys can stay with the likes of KG, Sheed or Dwight Howard on a break if their life depended on it.  That is not to mention the big men in the West if they were so lucky to get to the Finals (Amare, Gasol, etc.) 

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The problem isn't exactly Shaq (although I'm not sure if Shaq still offers enough offensively and rebounding wise to make up for his defensive deficiencies), it's that there's too much slowness in that big man rotation.

Ferry would need to be crazy to not trade Ilgauskas.
That would leave them with only Shaq to play the 5, and their other bigs would be Hickson and AV. That's not enough depth to win a title.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The problem isn't exactly Shaq (although I'm not sure if Shaq still offers enough offensively and rebounding wise to make up for his defensive deficiencies), it's that there's too much slowness in that big man rotation.

That would leave them with only Shaq to play the 5, and their other bigs would be Hickson and AV. That's not enough depth to win a title.

AV can play the 5. Him and Shaq would be a good center rotation.

LeBron James can be the 4th big. Maybe Powe will be ready to contribute this season. And they can always get a big from the trade - it just needs to be different than Z, not necessarily better (plus, Z's value is being an expiring - very possible to have him pulling a McDyess).

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2429

AV can play the 5. Him and Shaq would be a good center rotation.

LeBron James can be the 4th big. 
Fully agree scoop -- that's the Cavs best plan of attack and if they fail to do it they'll be sealing their own fate in the process.

The Cavs desperately need more quickness + versatility.