Author Topic: NBA Broadband  (Read 1974 times)

NBA Broadband
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline A_Dubbs

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I am interested in getting this service, however, I have not had much luck on finding information about it. I have signed up on the site to get an email about the upcoming season but it would be nice to get some information now. I have a few questions and concerns about what I have read around the internet on this service. I haven't gotten any specific info, just bits and pieces, so if any of you have used this service I would love some input.

First off, I live in Maine so I can get every Celtics game. I am getting this service to watch teams like the Spurs, Wizards, Magic, Hawks, Clippers, Thunder, etc. I want to watch other teams that intrigue me and other superstar players. I hear there are blackouts when games are played on national TV which is ok, but will I be able to watch the majority of the games? Hypothetically, if I wanted to watch all 82 Spurs games minus the ones blacked out, could I? Also, I have read complaints that games NOT on national TV have been blacked out. Anybody know anything about that?

I have fast internet (I'm at a State University) so I wouldn't think i'd have problems with the games. However, I have read people complaining about buffering and that the video doesn't load fast enough to watch the game smoothly. Will this be an issue?

Price is another thing I haven't been able to pin-point. I recall prices thrown out like $100 or $200. Which is it closer to?

Final thing is that I hear the games replaying from a previous day show the final score and are looped, meaning if I click to watch it I could end up starting halfway through the 4th quarter. I could probably try to not look at the final score, but I'd like to be able to watch the games from the very beginning. Do they loop?

Sorry for the long post, but I really want some information on this service! It's been so hard to find. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Re: NBA Broadband
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Games on National TV and NBA TV are probably not carried through NBA Broadband. At least when I've had League Pass at home, that's been the case.

If I have to watch games through the internet, I'd rather look for some non legal streams and watch those. It's too expensive as far as I'm concerned for the hassle. If your cable provider does offer League Pass, I'd go for that myself, since that is worth it, but you being in college that might not be available for you.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:55:44 AM »

Offline christuffa

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 70
  • The Sniper
I live in Australia so I will offer you what advice I can. I got the International league pass last year.

First off, I live in Maine so I can get every Celtics game. I am getting this service to watch teams like the Spurs, Wizards, Magic, Hawks, Clippers, Thunder, etc. I want to watch other teams that intrigue me and other superstar players. I hear there are blackouts when games are played on national TV which is ok, but will I be able to watch the majority of the games? Hypothetically, if I wanted to watch all 82 Spurs games minus the ones blacked out, could I? Also, I have read complaints that games NOT on national TV have been blacked out. Anybody know anything about that?

There is no reason you can't watch the 82 games. If you had the time you could actually watch every single game played throughout the season (minus the ones blacked out in your area). I actually watched every single celtic game last year and about 200 odd other highlight games, but only watched that many because I had no time to watch more :( Fortunately there were no blackouts in Australia.

I have fast internet (I'm at a State University) so I wouldn't think i'd have problems with the games. However, I have read people complaining about buffering and that the video doesn't load fast enough to watch the game smoothly. Will this be an issue?

In Aus the buffer problem was due to server issues. The lakers game on xmas day (boxing day over here) was unwatchable live because too many people were watching it. There were another few marquee games which were horrible to try and sit through. A lot of other games were bad as well, but the people at RayV (the distributor of the games) finally worked out a couple of tricks which really helped sort out the bugs and I can't recall any problems in the last half of the season. I am not sure if these are the same problems in the US.

Price is another thing I haven't been able to pin-point. I recall prices thrown out like $100 or $200. Which is it closer to?

I bought it as earlybird for US$80 but after the earlybird time it went to about US$100 (from memory). I would hope that they don't go anywhere near the price of the NFL game pass this year which is currently at about US$220 for one team for 16 games.

Final thing is that I hear the games replaying from a previous day show the final score and are looped, meaning if I click to watch it I could end up starting halfway through the 4th quarter. I could probably try to not look at the final score, but I'd like to be able to watch the games from the very beginning. Do they loop?

I think that the international playback program was a lot different to the US, but I will share my experience.
In the first half of the season they would start the replays about 3 hours after the game finished. The first replay would start from the beginning and when it finished the second replay would start straight after. There was no way to tell how far through the game the replay was when you turned it on...very frustrating to see the 4th quarter score!!! About January they actually set up a schedule for the replays where they might replay the game every 2.5 hours...so much better!
I don't know if this is the same in the US, but from screenshots I think it's not. But you get the idea that the operators may not be the brightest sparks.

Hope I helped.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:04:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I live in Australia so I will offer you what advice I can. I got the International league pass last year.

There is no reason you can't watch the 82 games. If you had the time you could actually watch every single game played throughout the season (minus the ones blacked out in your area). I actually watched every single celtic game last year and about 200 odd other highlight games, but only watched that many because I had no time to watch more :( Fortunately there were no blackouts in Australia.

In Aus the buffer problem was due to server issues. The lakers game on xmas day (boxing day over here) was unwatchable live because too many people were watching it. There were another few marquee games which were horrible to try and sit through. A lot of other games were bad as well, but the people at RayV (the distributor of the games) finally worked out a couple of tricks which really helped sort out the bugs and I can't recall any problems in the last half of the season. I am not sure if these are the same problems in the US.

I bought it as earlybird for US$80 but after the earlybird time it went to about US$100 (from memory). I would hope that they don't go anywhere near the price of the NFL game pass this year which is currently at about US$220 for one team for 16 games.

I think that the international playback program was a lot different to the US, but I will share my experience.
In the first half of the season they would start the replays about 3 hours after the game finished. The first replay would start from the beginning and when it finished the second replay would start straight after. There was no way to tell how far through the game the replay was when you turned it on...very frustrating to see the 4th quarter score!!! About January they actually set up a schedule for the replays where they might replay the game every 2.5 hours...so much better!
I don't know if this is the same in the US, but from screenshots I think it's not. But you get the idea that the operators may not be the brightest sparks.

Hope I helped.

I think that reply deserved a TP. This is what CB is all about: Helping fellow fans.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:34:41 PM »

Offline A_Dubbs

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

Hope I helped.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I gave you a Tommy Point (new to the forums) but anyways, great reply.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:56 AM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
If u cant get cable and thats the only means of watching games go for it i guess. That said the quality is crap to the point where things are blurry and at times hard to even see if the ball is going in. lol I had it last year I'll never get it again!