Author Topic: Are refs too chummy with players / coaches?  (Read 2706 times)

Are refs too chummy with players / coaches?
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting read through ESPN.com (link).  The argument is basically that refs are losing credibility because they're too friendly with the players and coaches.  There used to be a rule that refs couldn't fraternize with coaches and players, and couldn't initiate conversation.  Now, that's allowed, and some former refs and current coaches don't like it.

It's worth reading, or betting yet, watching on Outside the lines.  I agree with the premise:  refs should act professional.  Enough with the butt-patting and the calls to coaches' cell phones during non-work hours. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Are refs too chummy with players / coaches?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I don't like the chumminess, either.  Bavetta is probably the worst...Although the players flirt with Violet, also.  She doesn't reciprocate like Bavetta does.

But I don't think it affects the officiating nearly as much as the obvious directive from the league concerning star calls.  Until the games are evenly officiated, every conspiracy theory will be credible and plausible.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
there needs to be more of a wall between the officials and the players/coaches.

Whether or not it effects out come of the games doesn't matter now.   It just one more nail in the trust of fans in the officials. 

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline dorschrm

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
I have full confidence that Ronald Johnson, the new head of officials, will make it a clear point to take care of this.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i watched the video on espn where the retired ref stated that dick brought cookies for one of the coaches for a game. that's just ridiculous. i think stricter laws should be set for refs/coach/player interaction.

however, with that said, some people must remember that refs are humans too, and that if they have a coaches number... why why can't they? they can have whoever's number they want really. that's invading someone's personal life.

this leads me to a back and fourth argument between the lives of refs. as people, they should be allowed to really befriend whoever they want. retired refs complain about refs now a days getting autographs of players and having coaches numbers... but why can't they be fans too?

however forbidding them to do so might just end up being part of the job description. spies for our government have hard lives too but they still accept. not saying that a ref's regulations should be that strict, but hey, its a possibility.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
I watched that on Outside the Lines yesterday. While I agree with there being a problem with outside fraternization, Phone calls, lunch, dinner, etc. I don't have a real issue with refs patting a guy on the back or putting his hand on his back while speaking to them. I think it tends to help defuse potential problems with players and coaches by being more personal. I do high school games and I tend to chat with the player and coaches, yet it has never affected me on how I call a play. I find that the coaches and players tend to respect my calls many a little more because they know I have no negitive adgenda towards any of tham.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
i watched the video on espn where the retired ref stated that dick brought cookies for one of the coaches for a game. that's just ridiculous. i think stricter laws should be set for refs/coach/player interaction.

however, with that said, some people must remember that refs are humans too, and that if they have a coaches number... why why can't they? they can have whoever's number they want really. that's invading someone's personal life.

this leads me to a back and fourth argument between the lives of refs. as people, they should be allowed to really befriend whoever they want. retired refs complain about refs now a days getting autographs of players and having coaches numbers... but why can't they be fans too?

however forbidding them to do so might just end up being part of the job description. spies for our government have hard lives too but they still accept. not saying that a ref's regulations should be that strict, but hey, its a possibility.

If there wasn't the Donaghy scandal and so many games oddly officiated, this wouldn't matter and wouldn't be a story.

But because of this, any possible link reads badly for the league.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
At first, I liked it when they changed the rules to allow refs to talk to players.  Before, if they made a horrible call and the player/coach complained to them, they'd be instructed to ignore the player/coach, which would annoy them even more and lead to technicals and ejections.  I felt like the refs should have to justify their calls to a degree, and not pretend like they're infallable.

But I think it's gone a little too far now.  Refs are acting too friendly with players/coachs and vice versa.  They should be mediators.  We don't need to know their names, where they live, etc.  They should do their job and move on.