Author Topic: Boston's lack of toughness and the Boston crowd are to blame.  (Read 3746 times)

Re: Boston's lack of toughness and the Boston crowd are to blame.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:25 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
5 years and I haven't missed a day of work for the flue. How many days off have this team had off for the sniffles? Come on!

This team needs to toughen up. The Pats are tough.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Face it Boston was behind the Red Sox and Pats. We need get behind this team. Give them a nice lift. They need it. Booing is not helping.

When the Red Sox weren't playing well last year, the players heard it from the fans. David Price and Joe Kelly in particular (in the summer when Kelly wasn't pitching well.)

If I am not mistaken, Price also got a smattering of boos in game 2 of the ALDS vs the Yankees.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the lack of free throws are a feature of Brad's system.

I'm not exactly sure how or why, but it's been a consistent trend over the years, with the lone exception of IT, who garnered tons of free throws two years ago during his peak season.

I wonder if it comes as a result of the emphasis on always finding a better shot.  It seems to me that maybe getting to the free throw line, sometimes, is a matter of deciding to force a shot up against pressuring defenders and pressuring the refs to call something.

If you're always passing the ball to somebody else that might be more open than you, that's generally a good thing -- open shots are better shots -- but it might also result in significantly fewer opportunities to draw contact.

I don't know.  Open shots are good and the Celts generate more than almost any other team in the league.  But free throws are vitally important as well, especially when your jumpers aren't falling and you want to maintain a lead.
I think that's a valid point, particularly when those shot are primarily outside jumpers. 

What's been an issue, IMHO, is that when the C's do go inside or drive to the basket, the refs tend to swallow their whistles while the other team will get a foul called for them if they drive to the basket.  I find it very hard to believe that players in a C's uniform are the only ones bumping/hacking/grabbing on defense.  The issue is raised regularly on the local broadcasts that C's are not beneficiaries of consistent officiating in that regard.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard for me to believe that the issue is referee bias, though.  The lack of free throws is a trend that has gone on for too long and has been consistent across too many matchups.

Maybe if you don't make a habit as a team of going inside and forcing contact, the refs are less likely to call a foul for you when you do get contact?

I suspect that the teams that get to the free throw line a lot have to work the refs in order to accomplish that.  It's not as simple as getting the call every time there's contact.  I think they have to put the refs in a position where they can't afford to look the other way.

If you only occasionally go inside and draw contact, it's easier for the refs to just "let them play."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Are we really blaming the last two games' losses on the refs as the critical factor?

I saw what I saw, the Celtics were just bad after the second quarter. The coaching was just bad. If the Celtics didn't blow 18-point leads to Lakers, they wouldn't need to stop Rondo from shooting a buzzer beater.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's hard for me to believe that the issue is referee bias, though.  The lack of free throws is a trend that has gone on for too long and has been consistent across too many matchups.

Maybe if you don't make a habit as a team of going inside and forcing contact, the refs are less likely to call a foul for you when you do get contact?

I suspect that the teams that get to the free throw line a lot have to work the refs in order to accomplish that.  It's not as simple as getting the call every time there's contact.  I think they have to put the refs in a position where they can't afford to look the other way.

If you only occasionally go inside and draw contact, it's easier for the refs to just "let them play."

I agree. There have clearly been poorly reffed games, but I have yet to meet an NBA fan who doesn't think that the refs are biased against their team.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
THE CROWD IS TO BLAME??

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
I wonder how old the above poster is? I've been around the game for a long time as player, coach, fan, etc.  I'm calling what  I see.

Boston fans to busy drinking beers while I watch Gordon Hayward get driven into tho standard and its ok because Brown get the put back. If that had been Bird the crowd would have been nuts. The outrage and weight of an angry crowd is immense. Boston has been to used to winning and become ho hum. No energy there like there used to be, but the potential is still there.

Notice Tommy H. has been stifled about commenting on refs and Mike Gorman has to keep him in check. That is purposeful. Also, Scal is wishy washy about officiating as if he is to aware of being considered a homer.

Every time someone goes to basket you breathe on them and there is a whistle. Boston thrived on physical defense last year and I'm convinced there was a mandate about cutting down on physical play. It has hampered the C's. Its a soft NBA which might as well be a skills contest. Go watch clips of how it used to be played. I do not like the present direction of this style.

Live on die by three, tough defense used to win championships.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Are we really blaming the last two games' losses on the refs as the critical factor?

I saw what I saw, the Celtics were just bad after the second quarter. The coaching was just bad. If the Celtics didn't blow 18-point leads to Lakers, they wouldn't need to stop Rondo from shooting a buzzer beater.

Not refs fault at all, but the fans were not riding those refs the way they needed.  Nor where the fans picking the team up as needed. It was like slowly watching a train wreck unfold.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 02:07:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Not refs fault at all, but the fans were not riding those refs the way they needed.  Nor where the fans picking the team up as needed. It was like slowly watching a train wreck unfold.

Gimmie a break. Blaming officials is a waste of time. They're going to make their calls, no matter what. Fans booing isn't going to make the officials change their mind on a call they've made.

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
There's a difference between a regular season Garden crowd and he playoff Garden crowd.  The playoff Garden crowd is an absolute advantage and they'll show up once again when the post season starts. 

For whatever reason this team can't stay focused, which is a bit mind boggling because this is the first team in the Stevens era that hasn't be able to do that - and it's not like they have a bunch of new players save for Hayward.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have been going to games every year since Havlicek and the old Boston Garden. First, the old building was louder. Don't think it had anything to do with the crowd, just the old building was smaller. The current Garden just isn't as loud. It has bad acoustics. Same loud crowd, just not as loud because of the building.

The game is packaged differently with a ton more entertainment before, during timeouts and after the game. But during the game I feel the crowd is as loud and responsive as it has ever been.

The crowd is nowhere near being a problem. I think they have been very supportive of the team given the many lackluster poor efforts the team has given them this year.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens

Gimmie a break. Blaming officials is a waste of time. They're going to make their calls, no matter what. Fans booing isn't going to make the officials change their mind on a call they've made.

You my friend are wrong. You can count on home and away being worth about 10 points. Part because of familiarity and part because of officials. They are human, they do change. Statistics will back it up.  In a close game that play off crowd makes difference.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
not the crowds fault. 

try play n better defense

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
There's a difference between a regular season Garden crowd and he playoff Garden crowd.  The playoff Garden crowd is an absolute advantage and they'll show up once again when the post season starts. 

For whatever reason this team can't stay focused, which is a bit mind boggling because this is the first team in the Stevens era that hasn't be able to do that - and it's not like they have a bunch of new players save for Hayward.

I agree, yes and yes. Right now we need a play off crowd type atmosphere. The switch can be turned quickly and the difference is subtle. A by product of spoiled fans I believe.