Author Topic: Per Shams...C's going hard after a center  (Read 17224 times)

Re: Per Shams...C's going hard after a center
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why does AH and Kyrie leaving only net $23 million in cap space? Didnt they both earn more?

There are a few reasons:
(1) Because we were over the cap last year by about $25 million, and with those two lost about $48 million in salary.
(2) Even though we have subtracted about $50 million from the payroll, the Celtics still have cap holds for Mook and Rozier that take cap space.
(3) Any time there are fewer than 12 men on your roster, there is still an allotted amount of cap space taken for what essentially becomes an imaginary player.

Sorry for the extreme layman's terms

Thank you

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sounds like Baynes is going to be traded

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1141688710666346498?s=21

Looks like Brad is going really, really small ball.
We may finally get a chance to find out whether Yabusele can actually play or not

I think most of us here have already found that out.
A solid point - one I agree with btw - but I'd also ask why Danny bothered to pick up his option?

Mostly I have no idea and was against it at the time.  That said, his option had to be picked up last October, following only one season in the NBA, and perhaps he had shown enough in practices for the team to be willing to give him another year.

I always thought it was just 3 million extra to be used in a trade. I still would have decline it, guy isnt an NBA player.

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Does going hard after a C mean paying a lot of money for a C?

Who can fit the Celtics need a short term mid money type deal?

« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I just read that Vucevic is 7' (probably in shoes) with a 7'4" wing span. Is this true? I did not realize he was that long. Also, he averaged 21 points, 12 rebounds and 3.8 assists last season.

I am probably going to retract all the cold water I have been pouring over him the last 24 hours. Maybe he is a perfect candidate for us to target with a big FA offer.

« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I just read that Vucevic is 7' (probably in shoes) with a 7'4" wing span. Is this true? I did not realize he was that long. Also, he averaged 21 points, 12 rebounds and 3.8 assists last season.

I am probably going to retract all the cold water I have been pouring over him the last 24 hours. Maybe he is a perfect candidate for us to target with a big FA offer.
I didn't think he was a good signing until I checked his stats and saw some games highlights this Morning. He would be a very good fit here. He can shoots, rebound, pass, drive to the hoop against slower centers.
I would prefer signing Brogdon and having an athletic center next tô Hayward as a PF. But would be fine with Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Vucevic as plan B in case an offer for Brogdon is matched
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

I didn't think he was a good signing until I checked his stats and saw some games highlights this Morning. He would be a very good fit here. He can shoots, rebound, pass, drive to the hoop against slower centers.
I would prefer signing Brogdon and having an athletic center next tô Hayward as a PF. But would be fine with Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Vucevic as plan B in case an offer for Brogdon is matched

As good as Vucevic is, he isn't that great of a defender either. Also, FWIW, he got cooked by Gasol in the previous playoff series to Toronto and was pretty much a no-show in all but one game that series.

I'd be fine with Vucevic but if his price is actually near max or even max, then forget it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
if no player will make us a contender just TANK. JB and JT are young enough to endure a few years of tanking to get some real good players. just play the youngsters. if we get killed so be it. bigger picture. do not waste money on a guy who will not make a big difference in the grand scheme.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
if no player will make us a contender just TANK. JB and JT are young enough to endure a few years of tanking to get some real good players. just play the youngsters. if we get killed so be it. bigger picture. do not waste money on a guy who will not make a big difference in the grand scheme.

Celtics have too much talent to really tank.  Not to mention it leads to bad habits from the current young players. 

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Celtics have too much talent to really tank.  Not to mention it leads to bad habits from the current young players. 

unfortunately you may be right. we could not tank properly because of brad in the past. but no FA will come here and put us over the top now. we are in NBA hell. no TANK? no contention? sad. draft was terrible IMO.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

unfortunately you may be right. we could not tank properly because of brad in the past. but no FA will come here and put us over the top now. we are in NBA hell. no TANK? no contention? sad. draft was terrible IMO.

Get a grip with this tanking garbage. I'm not going to watch a team that plans on tanking as I'd have better things to do, like rearranging my sock drawer.  Are you?

« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

As good as Vucevic is, he isn't that great of a defender either. Also, FWIW, he got cooked by Gasol in the previous playoff series to Toronto and was pretty much a no-show in all but one game that series.

I'd be fine with Vucevic but if his price is actually near max or even max, then forget it.

Speaking of Gasol in Kawhi leaves the Raptors maybe he would be open to signing here on short money.  Sign Kemba Walker to the max, and use one of the exceptions on Gasol. Ha

« Reply #146 on: June 21, 2019, 12:26:26 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
What's really frustrating is that even with the space available for a max guy there just isn't that perfect fit out there to spend it on.

Since Horford is leaving, we desperately need a Myles Turner, Chris Bosh, Jaren Jackson Jr. type. Somebody who can shoot a little, protect the rim, and isn't an old fashioned plodding dinosaur-type center.

You can always find guards and wings in the draft, but big men who are tall, athletic, and have some range are exceedingly rare.

Frankly, if we're going to spend 25-30 million of cap space on a guy, it better not be a traditional center.

« Reply #147 on: June 21, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Speaking of Gasol in Kawhi leaves the Raptors maybe he would be open to signing here on short money.  Sign Kemba Walker to the max, and use one of the exceptions on Gasol. Ha

Said this before: Vooch anchored a top-10 defense and playoff team in Orlando all season. Playoffs are a different animal - but that said defense is more about scheme and effort and the sum of the parts. Few guys in the league are true defensive anchors a la Garnett.

Toronto just won the Finals. Don't care how Vucevic looked against not-that-long-ago DPOY Marc Gasol.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Said this before: Vooch anchored a top-10 defense and playoff team in Orlando all season. Playoffs are a different animal - but that said defense is more about scheme and effort and the sum of the parts. Few guys in the league are true defensive anchors a la Garnett.

Toronto just won the Finals. Don't care how Vucevic looked against not-that-long-ago DPOY Marc Gasol.

Add to that vooch was the primary offensive focus as well. He should be used like horford.

But team would need to getba big defensive pf beside him.

Maybe williams is that guy. That remains to be seen though, but the team absolutely MUST have a distributing point guard.

Ideallt Vooch can be had for a cheap enough price to throw am offer at a true facilitator at point. (Rubio)

I hold out hope that hayward is used to bring in a point or center on sign and trade.

« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I don't think there's a discussion needed whether Vucevic is good enough, but the question should be: is Vucevic the guy the Celtics need? And just as important, is that the best use of our cap space to work our way back up?