Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43131 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 06:02:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think at least one of the 28 other teams can offer the Sixers something more considerable than what I want the Celtics to give up for him. However, Danny has shown no lack of confidence in trading away valuable assets for players that he likes.

I am interested in picking up Okafor. I'm curious what his # will be when he hits FA. Anything north of $15m.... I'm not interested.

Barring an incredible turnaround, I would say Okafor's # will be much closer to the league minimum than $15M. Even though salaries for average players have skyrocketed these past couple of seasons, that money is drying up quickly and basically only star-level players will be getting paid.

Seeing how Okafor is currently a 3rd string player on one of the worst teams in the NBA, it is safe to say that if we wanted to re-sign him for cheap next year, then that option would certainly be available. In fact, Danny may be just waiting until the offseason rather than trading any asset for him right now.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i am not convinced okafor will ever be able to play away from the basket. heck baynes, whom i had never really heard of before he became a celtic, has better range. where okafor fits in with CBS' offense is beyond me. okafor has taken zero 3 pointers since his rookie year.

defense? his feet are slow, but i guess he could play better if he decided to play with more passion in that area. can you coach passion and determination? not so sure for this kid. he is now in his third year and is trending downwards.

should we blame philly for this? maybe. but then, embiid seems motivated and plays well...when he can play. saric too.

but even were CBS able to "fix" Okafor with lots of coaching, he's unlikely to be a positive this year. if so all the celtics would be doing would be to help him get paid by someone else when he leaves after one year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I think at least one of the 28 other teams can offer the Sixers something more considerable than what I want the Celtics to give up for him. However, Danny has shown no lack of confidence in trading away valuable assets for players that he likes.

I am interested in picking up Okafor. I'm curious what his # will be when he hits FA. Anything north of $15m.... I'm not interested.

Barring an incredible turnaround, I would say Okafor's # will be much closer to the league minimum than $15M. Even though salaries for average players have skyrocketed these past couple of seasons, that money is drying up quickly and basically only star-level players will be getting paid.

Seeing how Okafor is currently a 3rd string player on one of the worst teams in the NBA, it is safe to say that if we wanted to re-sign him for cheap next year, then that option would certainly be available. In fact, Danny may be just waiting until the offseason rather than trading any asset for him right now.

Good point.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That's nice. They can trade him somewhere not called Boston
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
A big who doesn't rebound, doesn't play defense, and can't shoot with any range. He also missed 61 games over his first two seasons and isn't playing right now, so he's an injury risk.

Pass.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

76ers Pick Up Rookie Scale Options On Everyone But Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/league/2018

The Philadelphia 76ers have picked up their rookie scale team options on Ben Simmons, Dario Saric, Justin Anderson and Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, but they have yet to do so for Jahlil Okafor.

The 76ers are shopping Okafor in trade talks with other teams as both sides would like to move on.

Re: 76ers Pick Up Rookie Scale Options On Everyone But Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Philadelphia 76ers have picked up their rookie scale team options on Ben Simmons, Dario Saric, Justin Anderson and Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, but they have yet to do so for Jahlil Okafor.

The 76ers are shopping Okafor in trade talks with other teams as both sides would like to move on.

It feels like he would be very difficult to trade. I don't think a team would want to pay him 7 million dollars next year based on what he has shown. So then you are talking about trying to match 5 million for the rest of this year and you don't have his bird rights. Is buying him out and letting him move on the best way to go for everyone? The 76ers have been pretty tight with cash at times and I believe even sold one of the picks they got for Noel. If they had an opportunity to save one or two million dollars in a buyout I would have to think they would jump at it. Is that something that is allowed in CBA?

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It feels like he would be very difficult to trade. I don't think a team would want to pay him 7 million dollars next year based on what he has shown. So then you are talking about trying to match 5 million for the rest of this year and you don't have his bird rights. Is buying him out and letting him move on the best way to go for everyone? The 76ers have been pretty tight with cash at times and I believe even sold one of the picks they got for Noel. If they had an opportunity to save one or two million dollars in a buyout I would have to think they would jump at it. Is that something that is allowed in CBA?

Even if the Sixers do decline to pick up his option by the end of today, they still will have full bird rights, as will any team that trades for him. What it will mean, though, is that Okafor will be a UFA instead of a RFA.

As for a buyout, sure, you can always ask the player to take less money than they are guaranteed. Doesn't mean the player has to accept, though. I have no idea if Okafor would be receptive to that.

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Even if the Sixers do decline to pick up his option by the end of today, they still will have full bird rights, as will any team that trades for him. What it will mean, though, is that Okafor will be a UFA instead of a RFA.

As for a buyout, sure, you can always ask the player to take less money than they are guaranteed. Doesn't mean the player has to accept, though. I have no idea if Okafor would be receptive to that.

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously this is speculation on my part, but if Okafor is not having his option picked up it seems like it would be kind of common sense to accept the buyout to sign on with a team that promises him minutes before he reaches free agency. Brown has said he is not playing based on performance and at this time it is not close and he is not in the rotation. He will get further buried on the bench when Richaun Holmes returns from a wrist injury. I hope for all involved he gets out of there...

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW:  I would be interested in taking a flyer on Okafor, for the right price.

I think it's still way too early to completely give up on him.   He has size, wingspan and skills.  He didn't win that NCAA title by being a lousy basketball player.   I just think he has always been a total square peg since being picked by Philly for their round hole.   I think in the right environment and system he could be coached to be a good NBA player.

That said, due to the expiring nature of his contract and the risk that he cannot be salvaged. the price would have to be very reasonable.   Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think it's still way too early to completely give up on him.   He has size, wingspan and skills.  He didn't win that NCAA title by being a lousy basketball player.   I just think he has always been a total square peg since being picked by Philly for their round hole.   I think in the right environment and system he could be coached to be a good NBA player.

That said, due to the expiring nature of his contract and the risk that he cannot be salvaged. the price would have to be very reasonable.   Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.

I wouldn’t give more than a single second.  If Okafor plays reasonably well, the Celtics will be unlikely to keep him in free agency.  If he doesn’t play well, then obviously that’s a waste too.  The sweet spot for the Celtics in the deal is that he’s okay enough to be situationally useful, showing a enough promise to warrant a one year deal to return next year to prove himself for free agency 2019, and plays terrific next year.  Or he totally explodes into an elite player this year, making it worth the one year rental.  Both of those sweet spots are pretty unlikely.

I would absolutely do it for a 2nd.  But the likelihood of even getting value equivalent to the Clippers pick seems too low to offer more.

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.

Philly is crazy if they think they can get any 1st round pick for Okafor at this point, especially if he's going to be a UFA.

If I'm the Celtics, the most I'm willing to give up is the DPE and maybe our own 2nd round pick. The cap saving alone should be worth it to the Sixers.

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Another possible victim of the new small ball era. He can't draw a defender away from the hoop if he can't shoot. And he can't just hang out under the hoop to be a rim protector if his man can shoot.

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Yeah, the contract is probably the BIG issue as to why he's still on the team. I don't see why they can't buy him out but like you said, there may be something in the CBA about rookie contracts and buyouts but maybe not. We shall see.

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I wouldn’t give more than a single second.  If Okafor plays reasonably well, the Celtics will be unlikely to keep him in free agency.  If he doesn’t play well, then obviously that’s a waste too.  The sweet spot for the Celtics in the deal is that he’s okay enough to be situationally useful, showing a enough promise to warrant a one year deal to return next year to prove himself for free agency 2019, and plays terrific next year.  Or he totally explodes into an elite player this year, making it worth the one year rental.  Both of those sweet spots are pretty unlikely.

I would absolutely do it for a 2nd.  But the likelihood of even getting value equivalent to the Clippers pick seems too low to offer more.

Yeah, a 2nd round pick sounds about right.  I wouldn't get upset if the price was into the bottom of the 1st round, but no more than that.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.