Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43110 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Pass.

He just doesn’t want it bad enough, acts as if he is entitled to his NBA career. 

Too much effort involved to get this guy to the level Baynes plays at now.  And for what?  So he and his agent can pretend they deserve an eight figure offer this summer.   No thanks, I’d rather he be someone else’s headache.   

« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Kid is what, 22 years old? I would take the chance.

He's obviously talented, and just needs to be motivated to be able to do everything else he needs to be a solid NBA player. Maybe we could provide that. There's so much potential in him not to take a chance on.

We have two guys in Horford and Baynes to teach him how to properly defend. We have a coaching staff that can help revive careers.

Seriously, why not?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:52:19 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
A big who doesn't rebound, doesn't play defense, and can't shoot with any range. He also missed 61 games over his first two seasons and isn't playing right now, so he's an injury risk.

Pass.

Can't see the forest for the trees. Good thing you aren't a GM. It's not that he Doesn't have the tools to play, he just hasn't played for the right team. He is still exactly who we knew he was when he was drafted third and people were screaming at LA for passing on him. He's a freak scorer that needs work. He's 21 years old.

You should hurry up and apply for a GM job, since you know better than every NBA GM who has refused to offer up a decent asset for Okafor, know better than Philly who won't even bother to pay him next year on a rookie deal instead letting him walk, and know better than every advanced stat created to measure actual effectiveness, in which he's arguably one of the worst players in the league.

Yeah, he'll get a couple more chances, and every 10 years we get a miracle like Hassan Whiteside, but right now his trajectory is basically Anthony Bennett. Spare us the condescension about how good *you* know he'd be outside of Philly. We all know he has physical tools or he wouldn't have gone top 3 in the draft. But, right now, he's a major bust and you can't just blame it all on Philadelphia.

Perhaps he is just TRUSTING Coach K, who stands by him and believes that he is a good kid.  I think that Coach K, having recruited and COACHED him, might KNOW something MORE about his character than other GMs outside of Philly.

Smitty77

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He has formally asked for a buyout.

Interesting scenario: if he agreed to a buyout or was otherwise waived by Philly, we could use the DPE to claim him if desired.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
He's been on the market for awhile now at this point the 6ers have killed his value.

I can't imagine he's out of the rotation because he's not talented I'm going to guess he tried to get by on his talent alone and at some point just mentally checked out when it wasn't working out.

We all know sometimes top picks just washout but how many 21 year olds washout after the rookie season he had? 17.5pt 7rbs 1.2blks

Didn’t MCW have a great rookie season? Won RotY too. He’s barely getting playing time last time I saw him.

Sometimes you get talented players whose elite talent gets beat by their poor work ethic. The game passes them by. Sixers aren’t playing him for a reason, and it’s more than just he’s not a good basketball player right now.

I would rather hold the exception for someone else. I like watching Baynes get physical down low and hit that mid-range. I like seeing Theis all over the place. And of course what Horford is doing out there is great basketball, looking like an All-Star again.

I think you misunderstood my point. He's insanely talented and has proven it in his rookie season. The question is why did the 6ers write this guy completely off 2 seasons in. There has to be something more that we don't know. My guess is he doesn't put in the work and has no desire too.
ok fine

« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline Raul C

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
That could be it, or it could be that that organization is not a very good one and relies on plug and play talent as opposed to developing players.

Honestly, they don't seem to demonstrate good decision-making skills.

With his size, his age, and the skill he displayed under well-respected coaching at Duke I'd take a flyer on him.

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Kid is what, 22 years old? I would take the chance.

Seriously, why not?

21 actually.  Turns 22 on Dec 15.

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
QUESTION: We have DPE AND Vet. minimum to use right?

In that case, I'd take a flier on Okafor and we still have one of the exceptions to use on a future buyout candidate if anyone good pops up.

Look at what CBS has done with Irving and his defense/passing. If anyone can maximize Okafor's potential at age 21, it's Brad...

Also people seem to forget that our depth behind Horford and Baynes isn't that great either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Okafor can still be salvaged, the man clearly has talent. He also has some glaring flaws, but being in such a terrible situation I guess he never saw a path to reach his goals and didn't bother to work on those flaws.

I mean, Philly didn't exactly do right by Nerlens Noel either. The Sixers stupidly drafted elite big men prospects in three consecutive drafts. Only a franchise run by the biggest of idiots does that. It doesn't excuse Okafor from not working on his game, but it does set the stage for bringing out a person's worst traits. Sometime people like that need a better support system to bring out their best.

Which is why I would be content if the C's took a flier on the kid. Maybe a better structure and player development culture is all he needs to be the best version of himself he can be. It's worth the gamble if the cost is low enough, and at this point I'm betting Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than the DPE alone, without including any other assets.

« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
He has formally asked for a buyout.

Interesting scenario: if he agreed to a buyout or was otherwise waived by Philly, we could use the DPE to claim him if desired.

I don't like the news. If he's bought out he can pick where he wants to be. He could very well pick a developing team that he can get lots of minutes. I'd rather give a couple second rounders and lock him up. He will learn to love us. 10 minutes a game on a team like ours or the Spurs is worth 20 elsewhere for his development.

I really believe in him. I'm always in awe when I watch him play and effortlessly score the ball and I say to myself [dang]it philly is finally going to realize what they have... and then they just bench him for scrubs.

You know what p---es me off the most about trust the process... it's not just gaming the system... they're ruining careers by benching talented players and ignoring development. I don't know how much more of this has to go on before the NBA does more than change management or change rules. Ownership can obviously be pulled... we've seen it already.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:14:12 PM by Erik »

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Okafor would be a third stringer on the team right now, given the way Baynes and Theis have provided solid defense and rebounding, which is what the team asks of its backup bigs.

Jahlil should go to a team with some structure and good coaching in place that also needs some big man depth.  If I were his agent I'd want him playing 20 minutes a game or so on a team with no expectation of winning now but with a coach who will hold him accountable.

He should look at guys like Monroe, Kanter, Brook Lopez as models for how he can find a place in the league.  To do that he'll need to demonstrate he can be a good team player, first and foremost, and second he'll need to improve his defensive rebounding and/or his shooting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Can they just do the right thing for everyone involved here?

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/925756643891187713

I am Okafor I start making a really loud stink and talking to the media if they don't budge on this for a week. They are potentially costing him tens of millions of dollars over trying to get second round picks. At a certain point it is bad business.

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

I am Okafor I start making a really loud stink and talking to the media if they don't budge on this for a week. They are potentially costing him tens of millions of dollars over trying to get second round picks. At a certain point it is bad business.

I agree with you they are doing him dirty and costing him $$.
ok fine

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I agree with you they are doing him dirty and costing him $$.

One of the reasons they used for running Hinkie out of town was that he was terrible with player and agents relationships. This is getting to be a bigger mess than anything Hinkie did. He is their 3rd/4th string center.

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Buyout of his rookie contract?  Isn't salary fixed by the rookie scale?  How could philly pay less than he's due on the rookie scale?  Is that allowed?  There may be no precedent for this.