Author Topic: What happened to the Current Events section?  (Read 19957 times)

Re: What happened to the Current Events section?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 01:10:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I suggest you consider how much you enjoy posting on the forum at large before proceeding further, S87.

Huh? I don't get this post. What do you mean by proceeding further?

I think it was a version of "don't poke the bear mod".

But, rest assured, I've been accused of worse than logical fallacy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I suggest you consider how much you enjoy posting on the forum at large before proceeding further, S87.

Huh? I don't get this post. What do you mean by proceeding further?

I think it was a version of "don't poke the bear mod".

Pretty much.

It was more the openly accusing a mod of bias / abuse of power in a disciplinary decision that I was warning against.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Phosita & Granath both banned from CE? 

Ouch, looks like we lost two of the more thoughtful posters from Current Events. 

That's a shame. 

Just another example of how our society is further distancing itself from the spirit of the 1st amendment.  Viva la trump I suppose...

It fascinates me how much more important a majority of Americans feel the 2nd amendment is than the 1st. 

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
For some reason, people invest a lot of themselves in politics. They get offended very easily when someone challenges their deeply entrenched points of view. Instead of simply saying "I disagree" (a completely valid view point), many will get overly emotional.

In this new world order (ie Trumpland), people are going to have to develop thick skin, or they are going to be constantly offended/hurt.

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Just another example of how our society is further distancing itself from the spirit of the 1st amendment.  Viva la trump I suppose...

It fascinates me how much more important a majority of Americans feel the 2nd amendment is than the 1st.

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to Internet forums. CelticsBlog is probably a better place due to that.

As for restricted members, some of the "NCE" folks are voluntarily removed from seeing political posts. For those actually banned, they're allowed to appeal their ban or apply for reinstatement once.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The Current Events forum operates under, essentially, a "one strike" policy. There's no notice or warnings given. If you break our rules in there, your posting privileges are likely to be revoked.

Other than that, we won't publicly comment on discipline, but are happy to discuss matters privately.
thanks for the explanation. may i make a suggestion on these procedures?

i am assuming that one reason behind such banning is so that the offender "learns a lesson", repents, or at least ceases their offensive behavior.

perhaps it would increase the likelihood of the above happening if mods were to actually either warn a person prior to a ban, or, explain why the ban occurred. this would turn the experience into more of a learning experience.

on top of that, it would be a basic curtesy for everyone at cb, since we are all liable to be banned sooner or later.

i dont think it is a rewarding experience to suddenly be shut out of a forum without warning. i have seen numerous posts by such people wondering if their computer is malfunctioning. if their phone is in trouble. or if CB itself is experiencing technical troubles. then the person banned often is at a loss as to why they are banned. in these cases, no "learning" takes place, or does so imperfectly.

all of this adds frustration and irritation not related to the offense. it also creates a clutter of threads from people trying to figure what what happened to them, a waste of everyone's time.

therefore, i respectively request that in the future, when issuing bans the mods also send a quick PM alerting the offender and providing a very brief explanation.

that would make this place even better than it already is.  ;D

thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Out of curiosity how come there is so much banning in the current events compared to the rest of the board?

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:48:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Out of curiosity how come there is so much banning in the current events compared to the rest of the board?
Politics seems to get pretty ad hominem pretty quick.

Also, Id imagine the trigger fingers are a bit quicker as its a basketball blog, so a CE ban is almost a slap on the wrist. Nobody (i assume) signed up for Cs blog to talk politics. They did it to talk basketball then current events is a nice bonus.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Politics seems to get pretty ad hominem pretty quick.

Also, Id imagine the trigger fingers are a bit quicker as its a basketball blog, so a CE ban is almost a slap on the wrist. Nobody (i assume) signed up for Cs blog to talk politics. They did it to talk basketball then current events is a nice bonus.
Also, as Roy pointed out, voluntarily accepting NCE tags is a way for people to eliminate the need to sift through current event threads in recent topics (this applies to some folks that want to talk strictly basketball/sports).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
This will be my last post on this subject because I don't otherwise care that much.

I did notice that some of the moderators were some of the more aggressive posters. I don't think it had as much to do with their personal politics as it did with their knowing they could get away with being a bit more direct. But it's not a big deal because we're not going to solve the world's problems on a basketball forum anyway.
pessimist

;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to Internet forums. CelticsBlog is probably a better place due to that.

As for restricted members, some of the "NCE" folks are voluntarily removed from seeing political posts. For those actually banned, they're allowed to appeal their ban or apply for reinstatement once.

To whom?

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
You'll enjoy this place more without trying to make any headway in the CE forum.  Trust me.

Ain't that the truth!  The CE forum now seems to exist primarily to provide a venue to be dominated by one single member. 

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
You'll enjoy this place more without trying to make any headway in the CE forum.  Trust me.

Ain't that the truth!  The CE forum now seems to exist primarily to provide a venue to be dominated by one single member.
who? just curious since i dont go to CE very often.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

who? just curious since i dont go to CE very often.

Who?  You guessed it - Frank Stallone.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

To whom?

Shoot a request to myself and Donoghus. Basically, explain why you'd like a second chance, including anything you find relevant.