Author Topic: Lakers salary cap situation  (Read 8848 times)

Re: Lakers salary cap situation
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Don't listen to people who aren't willing to do the cap math or listen to those who do.

Unless we hear the Pelicans are willing to wait till June 30th the Lakers are going to have sub-max cap space in the 20s. (the other variable is the trade kicker though it has been consistently stated Davis is taking that money)

July 30th, but otherwise, yes, this.
oops, good catch tp.

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm not up to speed on what the Lakers cap situation will look like on July 1st, prior to trading for Davis, but if there is the possibility that holding off on the trade until they've used their cap space leads to a 3rd max free agent you can rest assured the Lakers will attempt to do so.
All reports have the trade being done on July 6th, the Pelicans do not want to wait for the 4th pick to sign and become eligible to move as salary as that impacts their ability to deal that pick.

The Lakers did not negotiate the trade to keep their max cap slot, still blows my mind.

The only saving grace from this whole thing is that the lakers scored Davis, not from savy managment but simply because they're LA and that's where Davis wanted to go.  That front office is still a dumpster fire.  It might work out but I hope so much that they crash and burn.

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Don't listen to people who aren't willing to do the cap math or listen to those who do.

Unless we hear the Pelicans are willing to wait till June 30th the Lakers are going to have sub-max cap space in the 20s. (the other variable is the trade kicker though it has been consistently stated Davis is taking that money)

July 30th, but otherwise, yes, this.
oops, good catch tp.

If I'm NOP there's no way I agree to the July 30th date. Why give LAL the opportunity to sign another max guy and devalue all those future picks they are giving you?

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
So did the lakers just screw up here regarding when the trade will go down and all the ramifications?

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So did the lakers just screw up here regarding when the trade will go down and all the ramifications?

Probably a combination of them screwing up and the Pelicans demanding the early date.  They want to trade that pick — delaying the trade lessens the value due to an increase in uncertainty.

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

I doubt it. I would be horrified if there isn't a single person in their front office that understands cap math.

Everyone saying that the Lakers had all of the leverage are mistaken. It was either make this trade or
1) sign another non elite max free agent, get the 6th seed, have no cap space for AD next season
2) hold for next year (another lottery trip) and hope AD doesn't reconsider like PG did. Oh BTW LeBron is 35 next year.

The Pelicans would have moved him somewhere.

This was the only way that the Lakers could guarantee that AD is a Laker. They needed this deal.

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup.

John Karalis has a theory that they didn't account for empty roster space cap charges eating into their cap space. So they thought they still had a max slot even with the July 6th trade formulation.

I cannot imagine the Pelicans would refuse to do the deal on July 30th if the Lakers held firm.

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I doubt it. I would be horrified if there isn't a single person in their front office that understands cap math.

It does look strange but competence is not the first word it comes to mind to describe the whole LAL organisation

IMHO the screwed up (possibly i am biased)

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm not up to speed on what the Lakers cap situation will look like on July 1st, prior to trading for Davis, but if there is the possibility that holding off on the trade until they've used their cap space leads to a 3rd max free agent you can rest assured the Lakers will attempt to do so.
All reports have the trade being done on July 6th, the Pelicans do not want to wait for the 4th pick to sign and become eligible to move as salary as that impacts their ability to deal that pick.

The Lakers did not negotiate the trade to keep their max cap slot, still blows my mind.

The only saving grace from this whole thing is that the lakers scored Davis, not from savy managment but simply because they're LA and that's where Davis wanted to go.  That front office is still a dumpster fire.  It might work out but I hope so much that they crash and burn.

And it will start with how they fill that roster out with thoroughly incompatible or head case veterans
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:27:07 PM by LatterDayCelticsfan »
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
Yup.

John Karalis has a theory that they didn't account for empty roster space cap charges eating into their cap space. So they thought they still had a max slot even with the July 6th trade formulation.

I cannot imagine the Pelicans would refuse to do the deal on July 30th if the Lakers held firm.

He also said this might save them from themselves as the better course of action would be to spend it on several players instead of of one max guy.

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yup.

If they move the #4 pick, that team is not going to want to wait til July 30th to get their player into the organization.

As of right now, the trade has already been announced. If LA tries to rescinds the offer, if you thought last season's drama was bad, imagine navigating this. Again, LA has no leverage. Everyone already knew AD was leaving -- no drama for the Pelicans.

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Yup.

why though?  as someone else mentioned, going sooner cuts the cap room available to the Lakers and thus their ability to sign another max FA.  whomever they sign would have an impact on those future picks.  why help the Lakers convey picks of lesser-quality?

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Yup.

Yes, I heard Karalis talk about this theory on the Locked On podcast and it made sense to me. Don't assume every front office in the league is on top of their salary cap math, and certainly don't assume that of the Lakers with Pelinka.

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2019, 02:31:30 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Yup.

Listening to yesterday's Lowe Post with guest Kevin Arnovitz (great listen, contained about 20 mins of Celtics talk too), but one of them floated the idea that the Pelicans would/did demand more to push the trade back to 7/30.

It's possible the Lakers did push for that, but the Pels held firm, and they ended up negotiating down to 7/6.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
Just for the sake of argument lets say they did get a max free agent for a discount (ie used all their cap space on one player).  They would have I think seven players under contract.  How do they sign additional players?