Author Topic: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: Draft over. Playoffs coming soon!  (Read 193389 times)

Re: 2020 Historical Draft Thread: Draft over. Playoffs coming soon!
« Reply #1920 on: April 02, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Ohhh a few more - Kenyon Martin, Keith Van Horn, Kukoc.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #1921 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Undrafted players I felt were of some notice:

Jerry Stackhouse -- 29ppg scorer, but I just feel like every time he was traded in his prime, the teams got better when he left.  That was a main reason he was a DND for me.

Roy Hibbert -- DPOY runner up.  He was on my short list of guys to draft in round 10, but just ultimately went with a different style of player in Okur.  I think there are some teams that he could have been useful on.  At worst, a 7'2" 270 lb body at the end of the bench to throw at Shaq for 6 fouls.

Demar Derozan
-- Only 2nd team all-nba player undrafted.  Not so surprising considering what he offers isn't really useful in this game.  Stackhouse would probably be a better fit than him.

Third team all-nba players undrafted:  Starbury, Andre Drummond.  Much more surprised that Drummond was undrafted than Starbury.  Drummond at least could be a 6-foul Shaq wall.

In the final few rounds I was really trying to sell myself on taking Jeremy Lin's Linsanity season.  I was a huge fan of him during that stretch.  But looking back it wasn't quite as impressive as I remembered it being.

I thought Kevin Martin would get taken as a 3 point sniper.  I didn't have that much separating him and Michael Redd.

I like that phrase "Shaq wall" from whoever used it a few days ago.  The other end-of-bench guys who could have been fun Shaq walls IMO were Nikola Pekovic and Boban.

What were the players that you guys found interesting or noteworthy that weren't drafted?

In addition to the guys on your list, some of the names I had written down included Ty Lawson, Jameer Nelson, Luis Scola, Kenny Anderson, Eric Snow, Al Harrington, Jeff Teague, & Ja Morant.

Similar to a few of those names were the randomly decent Jamaal Tinsley and Raymond Felton years. Jamal Crawford. Devin Harris.

This might get me in trouble but Raef LaFrentz's 15 / 7 / 3 blocks year on 43% three point shooting.

Yeah, Raef LaFrentz was on my shortlist towards the end. I thought he could be a late draft steal.

So, I started watching a Mavs game from 2003. Man, I had forgotten how bad his defense was outside of that weakside shot-blocking. What a disappointment that viewing was. Decided to drop that idea.

« Reply #1922 on: April 02, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Ohhh a few more - Kenyon Martin, Keith Van Horn, Kukoc.

Oh Kenyon Martin. That was the one. He was one of two players from my third tier (All-Stars) that went undrafted. The other was Buddy Hield.

Kenyon Martin was terrific. His impact on the Nets was underrated. His departure was the reason NJ never came close to getting out of the East again and that was despite getting Vince Carter for pennies on the dollar. That man's (Kenyon Martin) defense, rebounding and interior toughness was huge.

« Reply #1923 on: April 02, 2020, 02:55:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He probably didn’t deserve to be drafted, but I really wanted to take  Perkules.  Another binkie was Thabo Sefolosha due to some elite years of perimeter defense.

And, of course there were the Hall of Famers.  Hakeem and Barkley.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1924 on: April 02, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Jose Calderon is another one. He was fourth on my 3rd string PG list behind Dragic, T.Brandon and Bibby.

50-40-90 club
12ppg 9apg only 2 turnovers a night

Just hugely efficient. Lots of complementary offensive skills to boost offenses without impeding your stars.

« Reply #1925 on: April 02, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just found my actual list, rather than the one I keep in my head. The only player I had on there who was not drafted was Elden Campbell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1926 on: April 02, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just found my actual list, rather than the one I keep in my head. The only player I had on there who was not drafted was Elden Campbell.

There is a name that I have not heard in a very, very, very long time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1927 on: April 02, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
6th MOY - Bobby Jackson (SAC), Rodney Rodgers, Corliss Williamson, Ben Gordon

Others: Dale Davis and Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley, Matt Barnes

Was seriously considering my man Lance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3wvCNnF98

Just to be an irritant to LeBron James and whomever drafted him, lol....

But realized that making such a move would've more than likely been a BLOW to my team's chemistry.

« Reply #1928 on: April 02, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
6th MOY - Bobby Jackson (SAC), Rodney Rodgers, Corliss Williamson, Ben Gordon

Was seriously considering my man Lance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3wvCNnF98

Just to be an irritant to LeBron James and whomever drafted him, lol....

But realized that making such a move would've more than likely been a BLOW to my team's chemistry.

Ha!  I thought the exact same thing on Lance.

Other guys I considered not yet mentioned were Emeka Okafor, Bargnagni (stretch 4), Vin Baker (No), and Rudy Gay.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #1929 on: April 02, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think people looking for a great defensive PG missed the boat on Eric Snow in his years playing along Iverson and being the backcourt stopper. Never much of a scorer but he had some very good passing skills.

I thought Andersen Varejao would have been a pretty great one year wonder to pick up for the end of the bench. He had a 14.1/14.4/3.4 year with great defense in 2012-13.

Ben Gordon was a 6MOY and was a tremendous 3 point shooter.

« Reply #1930 on: April 02, 2020, 04:21:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Ah yes, Varejao.  I did give him a good hard look towards the end.  Another guy was Kenneth Faried.  He should have led the league in ORB% a few times if he reached the qualifying minutes.  A fun, while flawed, guy to have on your team.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #1931 on: April 02, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
A guy that was always high on my list, but I just didn't really have a spot for in my rotation was: Brent Barry - Seattle SuperSonics (01/02 season).

Stats: 14.4/5.4/5.3/1.8/0.5 with 2.0 3PM at 59/42/85 (2FG%/3FG%/FT%), so .65 TS% and 2.65 AS/TO, ADV: 12.1 WS and 5.8 VORP.

« Reply #1932 on: April 02, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Quote from: GreenFaith1819 link=topic=102343.msg2788940#msg2788940

Definitely disappointed Roy's Big Beef squad didn't draft Dale Davis or Antonio Davis (both All-Stars in the era too!), Perk (as Roy already mentioned he considered), would have fit right in too, could have gone all muscle and just drafted all pf/c!  Or bring in Kevin Willis!  Then just have your team run full court box outs!

At same time, I look at Denver has a huge rough-n-tumble knucklehead team, the guys I mentioned above plus Rodman, Derrick Coleman, Oakley would have fit right in at the end of that bench.

You can never go wrong drafting championship experience, so I might have given Kerr a spot at #14.

And, of course there were the Hall of Famers.  Hakeem and Barkley.

Just like my Jordan opinion from when he was drafted in Round 8, I really like the idea of reduced role for Hall-of-Fame vets.  Think those guys would give you more at 10mpg off the bench, than some career role players and fringe All-Stars drafted ahead of them would.  When you don't need them to play 30 or even 20mpg, I really believe they can turn back the clock a lot more often.

And as others have mentioned, Brent Barry, thought that guy was one of the best role players ever, especially in '02.  Lead the league in TS% and eFG% with 51/42/85 shooting splits.  Gave you 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals per game.  Basically played 1-3.  Like James Posey was for the '08 C's, (being able to fit in and play 3-5 in any lineup: small, defensive, shooting, etc.), that was Barry but for 1-3 spots.  And then you argue with a reduced role in this souped up league, Barry's shooting would get even better (like in '01, '04) when he's not asked to do as much.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1933 on: April 02, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Glad I was able to nab another ex-Celtic in Barbosa, as per my 13th & 14th round strategies.

Will be making a post in the ‘How’s My Team Look’ thread soon - thanks a lot Nick :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1934 on: April 02, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think people looking for a great defensive PG missed the boat on Eric Snow in his years playing along Iverson and being the backcourt stopper. Never much of a scorer but he had some very good passing skills.

I thought Andersen Varejao would have been a pretty great one year wonder to pick up for the end of the bench. He had a 14.1/14.4/3.4 year with great defense in 2012-13.

Ben Gordon was a 6MOY and was a tremendous 3 point shooter.

Ben Gordon was TOUGH as nails and seemed to torch us quite a bit..any dude that could weather KG

and then go on to be a thorn in our sides gets my vote.

KG is AWESOME, btw....dude didn't HAVE TO be on the sidelines that critical series but it helped us.

I'm certain that our opponents got quite a few expletives from him that series, LOL........

They don't quite make em' like KG anymore.