Author Topic: If Celtics get all 4 draft picks:  (Read 3682 times)

If Celtics get all 4 draft picks:
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Lets say we get all 4 picks..no way we can keep all 4 unless we get rid of some guys, not enough room on roster..let Morris, Rozier, and others walk after season end is only way...or big trade 😁😁😁
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: If Celtics get all 4 draft picks:
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
There aren't many Int'l prospects, unless the C's reach for one (just to stash him), that could be stashed so we could be looking to trade a couple of picks in a package (I see this as a very likely scenario if all 3 other picks convey), traded for future pick(s) or replace some players (Morris, TRoz & end of bench guys).

Edit: I think this is nice problem to have rather than having a real problem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:46:52 AM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There aren't many Int'l prospects, unless the C's reach for one (just to stash him), that could be stashed so we could be looking to trade a couple of picks in a package (I see this as a very likely scenario if all 3 other picks convey), traded for future pick(s) or replace some players (Morris, TRoz & end of bench guys).
I suspect the end result will be a combination of drafting to replace guys that aren't returning and trading multiple picks to move up for a higher pick.  Obviously there's a long way to go this season and the trading deadline to see how this is impacted.

Sac pick will end up in the lottery and will likely happen to the Memphis pick.  Clips may not convey because they're likely to miss the playoffs.  As of right now, C's are looking at getting the 17, 21, 23 and 25 picks.   not exactly what everyone was hoping for but I still think Sac ends up in top 5 with Memphis around 10.  Clips likely keep it by just missing the playoffs around 13 or 14.  C's will be somewhere 24 and higher.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nbadraft.net has us picking almost all 4 in a row around pick 19 to 23

Has any team ever picked 3 or 4 in a row?

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

couldn't help noticing they also predicted 3 of the top 4 picks are from Duke.  I don't think there's been any draft where 3 of the top 4 players taken were from 1 school. 

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

That would be kind of cool, although I'm assuming that Sacramento and Memphis will regress to the mean.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'd say there's no way Ainge will make all those picks, but I've said that before and been wrong.

For the sake of discussion it would be fun to assume all the picks convey and keep a discussion of who we should pick throughout the season.  We would likely have one early, two mid round, and one late first round pick.  At this point, I only have a little familiarity with a few of the top guys.  Obviously, Zion stands out as we need a big.

I will say I'd love to see them take a chance with one of the mid round picks on Jontay Porter assuming he goes pro.  I think he has the size, skill level, and basketball IQ to be an above average NBA player.  What held him back last year was his conditioning and lack of muscle.  That's all correctable especially considering how young he is.  With him missing the season, he will likely be available mid first round.

I'd also like to take a pg or combo guard with a mid or late first, but I have no one in mind at this point.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:52:36 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Clippers is such a long shot, Boston’s own easily Zizic’d or traded at DL

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Trade all four picks for a top five pick.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Phoenix ends up in the top 2 and the Sac pick is around 4-7 I could see a scenario where Ainge tries to package the Sac, Memphis and Clippers pick to trade up and grab  Zion Williamson or R. J. Barrett. Phoenix is in desperate need to rebuild around youth.

Zion would be a great addition at PF to replace Morris and Barrett a great replacement for Rozier as he could be the backup SG and have Smart play PG exclusively on the 2nd unit.

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The Clippers pick isn’t conveying, no way they make the playoffs.

SAC will be a top-8 pick, but hopefully closer to 2 than 8.

Doesn’t really matter to me if the Grizz pick conveys or not, as each year it doesn’t there is less protection. I believe it will convey around the 12th pick or so.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 01:35:44 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Trade all four picks for a top five pick.
A bunch picks near 20 won’t get you in the top five.  Of course, the sac pick on its own could still end up there.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Lets say we get all 4 picks..no way we can keep all 4 unless we get rid of some guys, not enough room on roster..let Morris, Rozier, and others walk after season end is only way...or big trade 😁😁😁

Why would you suggest letting Morris walk when he probably has been our 2nd best player so far this year and probably the most consistent. I want "Money" aka Morris to stay on this team.

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Why would you suggest letting Morris walk when he probably has been our 2nd best player so far this year and probably the most consistent. I want "Money" aka Morris to stay on this team.

If we can keep Morris for $8-10M annually, I’m with it 100%.

If he’s looking for $12-15M+ per, I don’t know.

And considering Smart basically got that, he may be worth it too.

He’s been great for us, he’s the only one getting the job done off the bench.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

Morris has been great so far.  He adds a toughness like Smart also.  At this point Morris is a solid cog to this team if we are to do anything in the playoffs.  He is producing better than most of the starters.  I would certainly keep him at Smart type money.  We have an issue with the overpay for Haywards contract.  I am not sure if he will ever live up to that contract and right now he is a shadow of his former self.  I hope that changes as the year progresses but it is not looking good so far. 

If we can keep Morris for $8-10M annually, I’m with it 100%.

If he’s looking for $12-15M+ per, I don’t know.

And considering Smart basically got that, he may be worth it too.

He’s been great for us, he’s the only one getting the job done off the bench.