Author Topic: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England  (Read 8931 times)

Re: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:38 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
McDaniels agent has left him, claiming McDaniels is committing professional suicide. 

As for the Colts, Irsay took over the team outright when his father died in 1997.  The first two seasons the Colts were 3-13 in each, but since then they have had just 3 seasons below .500, 2001 when they were 6-10, 2011 they were 2-14 (that was the year Peyton missed), and then this year without Luck when they were 4-12.  They went to 2 Super Bowls winning 1 during that time.  Let's not pretend the Colts are the Browns.  They aren't.  And sure Irsay at times acts like a spoiled brat, but by and large he has been at the helm of a highly successful franchise.
They may not be the Browns but they proudly hoist "AFC Finalist" banners after getting whooped 45-7 in the AFC Championship game.  A great franchise would have more pride than that...

Would a team proudly hoist an undefeated regular season banner, that lost the Super Bowl?
Only one team in history has had an undefeated 16 game regular season.  Four teams a year are conference finalists.  I think one of these feats is at least reasonably banner worthy.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a banner that reminds me of one of the biggest disappointments in sports history. I thought it was completely embarrassing when they put that banner up, especially from a franchise that had prided itself in winning three titles at that time.
I am indifferent to the 16-0 banner and likely lean towards not having it but again it is a historic feat so I think it is at least reasonable.  AFC Finalist banners are pretty pathetic.  Of course I could be blinded by my disdain for Irsay and the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.
The Red Sox have American League East championship banners hanging (or at least have fairly recently). 

For example, this PHOTO shows banners from 67, 75, 86, 88, 90, 95, and 04.  Only 1 WS title and 3 AL East titles on teams that didn't even make the WS. 

You are just being ridiculous because it is the Colts.
1) I have already said that I could be blinded by my disdain for the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.

2) Plentu of teams in all sports raise banners/celebrate division titles.  Like it or not that is common.  There may be others but the Colts are the only team I know of that celebrates being runners up in any fashion.

3) Again, this may be me taking a shot at a team I despise.

Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
McDaniels agent has left him, claiming McDaniels is committing professional suicide. 

As for the Colts, Irsay took over the team outright when his father died in 1997.  The first two seasons the Colts were 3-13 in each, but since then they have had just 3 seasons below .500, 2001 when they were 6-10, 2011 they were 2-14 (that was the year Peyton missed), and then this year without Luck when they were 4-12.  They went to 2 Super Bowls winning 1 during that time.  Let's not pretend the Colts are the Browns.  They aren't.  And sure Irsay at times acts like a spoiled brat, but by and large he has been at the helm of a highly successful franchise.
They may not be the Browns but they proudly hoist "AFC Finalist" banners after getting whooped 45-7 in the AFC Championship game.  A great franchise would have more pride than that...

Would a team proudly hoist an undefeated regular season banner, that lost the Super Bowl?
Only one team in history has had an undefeated 16 game regular season.  Four teams a year are conference finalists.  I think one of these feats is at least reasonably banner worthy.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a banner that reminds me of one of the biggest disappointments in sports history. I thought it was completely embarrassing when they put that banner up, especially from a franchise that had prided itself in winning three titles at that time.
I am indifferent to the 16-0 banner and likely lean towards not having it but again it is a historic feat so I think it is at least reasonable.  AFC Finalist banners are pretty pathetic.  Of course I could be blinded by my disdain for Irsay and the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.
The Red Sox have American League East championship banners hanging (or at least have fairly recently). 

For example, this PHOTO shows banners from 67, 75, 86, 88, 90, 95, and 04.  Only 1 WS title and 3 AL East titles on teams that didn't even make the WS. 

1) I have already said that I could be blinded by my disdain for the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.

2) Plentu of teams in all sports raise banners/celebrate division titles.  Like it or not that is common.  There may be others but the Colts are the only team I know of that celebrates being runners up in any fashion.

(1) true. 

(2) an AL East Title or a WS appearance, is in fact a team celebrating being runners-up.  the exact thing you are disrespecting the Colts for the Red Sox do.  The Boston Bruins have all sorts of non-Title banners.  Heck even the Patriots have the perfect season banner, you know a season they didn't win the Super Bowl.

(3) true.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

(1) true. 

(2) an AL East Title or a WS appearance, is in fact a team celebrating being runners-up.  the exact thing you are disrespecting the Colts for the Red Sox do.  The Boston Bruins have all sorts of non-Title banners.  Heck even the Patriots have the perfect season banner, you know a season they didn't win the Super Bowl.

(3) true.
No it isnt. This isn't just Colts haters. This is a widely ridiculed thing that people rip on the Colts for doing.

There's a reason people Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on the Colts for it. Its not just bias.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

No it isnt. This isn't just Colts haters. This is a widely ridiculed thing that people rip on the Colts for doing.

There's a reason people **** on the Colts for it. Its not just bias.

By "people" you mean crazed Pats fans, sure.  No one else cares at all and other teams do it, like they said.  No one else cares.

Sorry to break it to you but if you go around the country (living in different areas as I have) the Pats and their fans are disdained in many cases, more than any team or fanbase these days, and it can be for this exact kind of thing.  And seeing it for years now the craziest part is the complete lack of awareness of it, as this post hints at.  I think it's the victim complex that does it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

There's a reason people **** on the Colts for it. Its not just bias.

By "people" you mean crazed Pats fans, sure.  No one else cares at all and other teams do it, like they said.  No one else cares.

Sorry to break it to you but if you go around the country (living in different areas as I have) the Pats and their fans are disdained in many cases, more than any team or fanbase these days, and it can be for this exact kind of thing.  And seeing it for years now the craziest part is the complete lack of awareness of it, as this post hints at.  I think it's the victim complex that does it.
Pats fans obsess over it more than other for sure.

However, many Colts fans and non-biased people around the league roll their eyes at the idea of an AFC Finalist banner. There were plenty of articles written about it from outside the Boston media. Colts fans have fun with it to.

It's not evidence of a ****ty organization by any means, but its something that plenty of people chuckle about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colts/comments/7vsbp5/to_be_raised_at_the_2018_home_opener/

Also, I've lived in the DC area, Chicago area, and in Indiana. I'm well aware how most people view the Patriots and our loud fanbase.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.