Author Topic: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?  (Read 30614 times)

Re: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2019, 02:28:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Now that the draft is done, I think we can get a bit closer to the realistic aspect of the question.

I fully expect us to pursue D'Angelo Russell in free agency. He's an All-Star PG, which is a position of need for us, and he fully fits the timeline we're seemingly pursuing. Much more so than guys like Kemba or Vucevic. I then seeing us bringing in a Dedmon/Bryant type big man. Probably a guy like Bryant, because of his age. I also see us adding a 3&D wing to round out our bench. Someone like Ennis or Darius Miller.

I think, and hope, we roll out with:

PG: D'Angelo Russell / Marcus Smart / Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / Carsen Edwards
SF: Jayson Tatum / Darius Miller / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Gordon Hayward / Grant Williams / Robert Williams
C: Thomas Bryant / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams
Love you Gouki, but I hope Hayward/Tatum/Brown don't start at PF after last year's fiasco. We need some more size in the frontcourt, and I'd rather Hayward be our sixth man while we use the room exception to sign a real PF ala Markieff.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2019, 03:09:35 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Now that the draft is done, I think we can get a bit closer to the realistic aspect of the question.

I fully expect us to pursue D'Angelo Russell in free agency. He's an All-Star PG, which is a position of need for us, and he fully fits the timeline we're seemingly pursuing. Much more so than guys like Kemba or Vucevic. I then seeing us bringing in a Dedmon/Bryant type big man. Probably a guy like Bryant, because of his age. I also see us adding a 3&D wing to round out our bench. Someone like Ennis or Darius Miller.

Love you Gouki, but I hope Hayward/Tatum/Brown don't start at PF after last year's fiasco. We need some more size in the frontcourt, and I'd rather Hayward be our sixth man while we use the room exception to sign a real PF ala Markieff.

I rather not pay Hayward $120M to come off the bench. He needs to be slotted back into the starting lineup next season. Either Brown gets traded or all three of them start SG/SF/PF.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2019, 03:41:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think with the loss of Horford we need some passing in our starting lineup. Russell isn't an especially good passer, so we need to have one guy who prefers passing to shooting for me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
edit: Never mind. I forgot about the Arenas provision. :-[ It seems rather unlikely to pry Bryant away from Washington after all.

My scenario is pretty much what gooki88 has already proposed, expect that I'm not sure whether we would be a able to keep Theis-Wanamaker.

The cap holds for Theis and Wanamaker stand at $1,803,638 and $1,537,872 respectively. It's possible that we could keep one of them (depending on what we offer Bryant). Chances are that we couldn't keep both (unless D'Lo signed for less than the max). In any case, I don't think it makes a big difference. In this scenario, I renounce both Theis and Wanamaker in order to entice Bryant with a bit more money. After all, the Wiz can offer Bryant five years with 8% annual raises, whereas the C's can offer him 4 years with 5% annual raises.

So here's how the scenario would play out:

- Kyrie, Horford both walk.
- The C's renounce Rozier, Morris, Theis, Wanamaker.
- The C's dump Yabu to a team with cap space, sacrificing a second rounder in the process.

The Nets sign KD-Kyrie. In order to do so, they have to renounce D'Lo first.

- The C's sign D'Lo for the max. Given that he's a 4-year vet, his max starts at 25% of the cap. The C's can offer him up to 4 years with 5% annual raises.

$27,250,000
$28,612,500
$29,975,000
$31,337,500

I'm OK offering D'Lo that kind of money. We 'd still have about $10.5 mil in cap space to go after a starting-caliber center.

Quote from: CBAFAQ
Since teams are required to have at least 13 players on their rosters (see question number 79), the roster charge reserves a minimum amount of cap space to sign 13 players. For example, if a team has 11 players on its roster, the roster charge reserves cap space to sign the team's 13th player, and the remainder can be used to sign the 12th player.

1. Hayward $32,700,690
2. D'Lo $27,250,000
3. Smart $12,053,571
4. Tatum $7,830,000
5. Brown $6,534,829
6. Langford $3,454,080
7. G Williams $2,376,840
8. R. Williams $1,940,160
9. Semi $1,618,520 
10. rookie min $897,158
11. rookie min $897,158
12. rookie min $897,158 
Jackson $92,857

Total: $98,543,021

$109,000,000 - $98,543,021 = $10,456979 in cap space

- Offer Thomas Bryant a 4-year contract starting at $10,000,000. The Wizards won't be able to match, cause they only have early Bird rights, hence they can offer him up to $9,073,050 (=105% of the league average salary in the previous season).

Wizards have only "early Bird" rights. From CBAFAQ.COM - The Early Bird exception allows teams to re-sign their own free agent for up to 175% of his previous salary (in Bryant's case $2,411,923); OR 105% of the league average salary in the previous season ($9,073,050). Since Bryant is a Restricted Free Agent (RFA), the Wizards can offer him a salary, or match any offer up to $9,073,050. The contract can be up to 4-years with raises of up to 8% of the salary in the first year of the contract (other teams can only offer 5% raises). The Wizards can match any offer up to $9,073,050; HOWEVER another team could offer Bryant a larger contract using cap space, and the Wizards would be unable to match.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/2/10/18219817/bird-rights-or-lack-thereof-will-limit-what-the-wizards-can-offer

PG: D'Angelo Russell / Marcus Smart / Carsen Edwards
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford
SF: Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Jayson Tatum / Grant Williams
C: Thomas Bryant / Robert Williams

- Use the room exception (up to $4,760,000 in year 1) to sign a veteran big.

- Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:33:37 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I keep looking at these teams with D'Angelo Russell in them and my reaction every time is -- hmm, that team is only a .500 team. I just do not believe he moves the needle much at all. In terms of delivering wins and bettering the team.

I thought he got far too much credit last season for his role on that Nets team. Did not deserve to be an All-Star at all. He is a lousy defender and a high volume mediocre efficiency scorer. His passing is his best quality.

« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
First renounce Horford/Irving/Morris/Rozier/Gibson/Larkin/Hunter.

If my calculations are correct that will leave us with exactly 31,87 million in capspace. I want to use that money to improve our frontcourt. I'd sign Julius Randle for 80/4 (20 million a year) and go after Thomas Bryant.

Edit: didn't know about Gilbert Arenas provision, so Wizards will very likely match any normal offer for Bryant

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/after-breakout-season-thomas-bryant-wants-stay-wizards-why-would-i-want-leave

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

There's the possibility of clearing more cap room (renounce Theis, Wanamaker, Dozier / trade Yabusele), but I don't think that's necessary. In that case I want to resign Theis, Wanamaker and Dozier for small deals. I'd like some continuity and experience on the team, both Wanamaker and Theis have shown to be capable back-up NBA-players. There are minutes and opportunities on this team for our rookies and young guys. Could be nice to see who will take advantage. The roster:

PG: Marcus Smart / Carsen Edwards / Brad Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / PJ Dozier
SF: Jayson Tatum / Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Julius Randle / Grant Williams / Guerschon Yabusele
C: Thomas Bryant ?? / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:23:02 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
I keep looking at these teams with D'Angelo Russell in them and my reaction every time is -- hmm, that team is only a .500 team. I just do not believe he moves the needle much at all. In terms of delivering wins and bettering the team.

I thought he got far too much credit last season for his role on that Nets team. Did not deserve to be an All-Star at all. He is a lousy defender and a high volume mediocre efficiency scorer. His passing is his best quality.

Rather.

And his passing is pretty close to Irving's. Even their advanced stats on pass/assists are uncannily similar. Except D'Angelo Russell is far more turnover prone (only counting turnovers off bad passes).

It'd be mad if after having first-hand experience of the limitations a Kyrie Irving type of player brings, the Celtics decided to go after a lesser version of him.

« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Danny is bringing back Rozier.
He will use cap space to offer Vucevic a contract first. Then he will re-sign Rozier using Bird rights.
Use the Room Exception on Ed Davis.
Sign Zaza Pachulia Jared Dudley with vet min contracts

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley
Hayward/Davis/Yabusele/GWilliams
Vucevic/Pachulia/RWilliams

« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
He will use cap space to offer Vucevic a contract first. Then he will re-sign Rozier using Bird rights.

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley
I would be very upset with dirty ZaZa in our uniform

« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

Yeah, nick, what happened to Noel? Much rather have him than Zaza.

I’m also definitely not all in on Vucevic...or Russell for that matter (although I prefer him to Vuc). I’m really not sure of the real plan here, but starting to think there may be merit to the Horford for Capela/CP3 idea (or Adams). Danny seems to already know what he is doing so I doubt it has to do with non-max FAs since there is too much variation in what they would make.

« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

Yeah, nick, what happened to Noel? Much rather have him than Zaza.

I’m also definitely not all in on Vucevic...or Russell for that matter (although I prefer him to Vuc). I’m really not sure of the real plan here, but starting to think there may be merit to the Horford for Capela/CP3 idea (or Adams). Danny seems to already know what he is doing so I doubt it has to do with non-max FAs since there is too much variation in what they would make.
Realistic is this scenario...not desired. Noel hasn't decided on his player option yet. And after Danny uses the Room Exception on Ed Davis I am not sure a vet min gets Nerlens even if he does opt out. And Nerlens is a bit of a knucklehead so maybe Danny stays away from that.

Also, I see no way we do a sign and trade.

« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

You are vastly under-rating GWilliams usage if you peg him as 4th string Power Forward. See him first 4 off bench, and maybe gets some starts.

« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Rozier/Smart/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Ojeleye/Dudley

You are vastly under-rating GWilliams usage if you peg him as 4th string Power Forward. See him first 4 off bench, and maybe gets some starts.
Yeah, especially not behind Yabu

« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I rather not pay Hayward $120M to come off the bench. He needs to be slotted back into the starting lineup next season. Either Brown gets traded or all three of them start SG/SF/PF.

This!

Brown, Hayward and Tatum are all starter level talent, easily. As much as I like brown, I hope the C’s trade him for like Drummond or something and we sign Randle (he’s FA right?) with the lion’s share of our cap space.

Smart
Tatum
Hayward
Randle (via FA)
Drummond (via trade)

If Randle develops his jumpshot more (which I think he can do this offseason), I think we have a strong running team. Drummond’s motor can be a little suspect at times but I think being part of a predominantly high character team helps in that regard.
- LilRip

« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
First renounce Horford/Irving/Morris/Rozier/Gibson/Larkin/Hunter.

If my calculations are correct that will leave us with exactly 31,87 million in capspace. I want to use that money to improve our frontcourt. I'd sign Julius Randle for 80/4 (20 million a year) and go after Thomas Bryant.

Edit: didn't know about Gilbert Arenas provision, so Wizards will very likely match any normal offer for Bryant

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/after-breakout-season-thomas-bryant-wants-stay-wizards-why-would-i-want-leave

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

There's the possibility of clearing more cap room (renounce Theis, Wanamaker, Dozier / trade Yabusele), but I don't think that's necessary. In that case I want to resign Theis, Wanamaker and Dozier for small deals. I'd like some continuity and experience on the team, both Wanamaker and Theis have shown to be capable back-up NBA-players. There are minutes and opportunities on this team for our rookies and young guys. Could be nice to see who will take advantage. The roster:

PG: Marcus Smart / Carsen Edwards / Brad Wanamaker
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / PJ Dozier
SF: Jayson Tatum / Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Julius Randle / Grant Williams / Guerschon Yabusele
C: Thomas Bryant ?? / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams

you backload the contract and Wizards cannot match as they would go deep into lux tax with Walls syupid salary, beals extension and a backloaded bryant contract?

No chance they take that on.

4 year 50 mill. Starting at 9.5 or whatever it is, then years 3 and 4 have the contract jump to 15 mill/year.

they wont match that, at it is essentially paying 12.5 mill per season.