Author Topic: Crowder on Hayward - was it a dirty play?  (Read 10951 times)

Re: Crowder on Hayward - was it a dirty play?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Unless someone has an angle from underneath the basket or from the Cavs bench, I am not sure how anyone can say definitively that Crowder even touched Hayward with his back or hip.

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
People treating this like the Zapruder film. 

I don't see anything remotely conclusive that this was a dirty play.  I'm sure the league office sees it the same way.   It was just a freak act. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
People treating this like the Zapruder film. 

I don't see anything remotely conclusive that this was a dirty play.  I'm sure the league office sees it the same way.   It was just a freak act.
Exactly. Just ordinary contact that threw Hayward into a bad landing.

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2017, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This video offers a better view. Looks to me like Crowder used his hip to push under Hayward. I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Hayward, but I think some "blame" can be attributed to Crowder.

'Just not seeing it.

I'm watching it in super-slow-mo and I see Crowder trying to stay in front of Hayward's cut and then turning/ducking behind Hayward as Lebron leaped up to disrupt the pass.  The more I watch it, the more minimal Crowder's contact seems to be.

If anything caused Hayward's body to rotate it was actually the counter-impulse of Lebron's contact with Gordon's hands causing the top of his body to suddenly go slower than his legs (and thus they swing forward).    But that is clearly not a 'dirty play'.    It's just a basketball play (possibly a normal foul) that ended up with an awful result.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Even if it was, what's the point? Are we going to just hate Crowder for the rest of his life? I don't get some users here. Validating whether or not the play in question is considered dirty, wouldn't fix or change the outcome of Hayward's injury...

Its a sad state of affairs, but we must move on and hope for the best.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2017, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I haven't seen a lot of different angles on the play but it difn't appear there was a ton of contact, just ordinary contact when someone goes up. I don't see anything dirty and especially not malicious. Hayward was just thrown off bakance a bit and landed poorly. Freak accident is all. No one's fault.

Here's the one I'm seeing... Crowder clearly throws his hip at Hayward while he's in the air. I just can't sit here and accept that anyone would call that normal contact and ordinary when someone goes up. That's just completely false. Malicious intent or not aside. The play was just dirty.

https://twitter.com/jva4/status/920460872748797954

Great assesment. It was clearly a cheap play on Crowder.  Nobody throws their but out like that for no reason.  This aint dancing with the stars.  It was cheap, our guy got hurt and there should be accountability period.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
There is nothing to suggest that anything dirty was done here.  There is pushing and shoving on virtually every play in the NBA. To single out what Crowder did here, due to the injury that resulted, is patently unfair.  It's a physical game. A player takes a risk everytime he leaves the ground, every jump shot, every rebound, every attempted block.  It 's a miracle we don't see far more injuries like this.

Wish this thread would just go away. I find the question asked inappropriate and unfair to Jae.

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
There is nothing to suggest that anything dirty was done here.  There is pushing and shoving on virtually every play in the NBA. To single out what Crowder did here, due to the injury that resulted, is patently unfair.  It's a physical game. A player takes a risk everytime he leaves the ground, every jump shot, every rebound, every attempted block.  It 's a miracle we don't see far more injuries like this.

Wish this thread would just go away. I find the question asked inappropriate and unfair to Jae.

Funny.  Throwing a hip and causing an injury is ok.  Calling someone out for throwing a hip and causing injury...Inappropriate and unfair.   ****!!!!   Just wow. 
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This video offers a better view. Looks to me like Crowder used his hip to push under Hayward. I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Hayward, but I think some "blame" can be attributed to Crowder.

'Just not seeing it.

I'm watching it in super-slow-mo and I see Crowder trying to stay in front of Hayward's cut and then turning/ducking behind Hayward as Lebron leaped up to disrupt the pass.  The more I watch it, the more minimal Crowder's contact seems to be.

If anything caused Hayward's body to rotate it was actually the counter-impulse of Lebron's contact with Gordon's hands causing the top of his body to suddenly go slower than his legs (and thus they swing forward).    But that is clearly not a 'dirty play'.    It's just a basketball play (possibly a normal foul) that ended up with an awful result.

As Hayward goes up, Crowder places his right hip against Hayward's left, then Crowder backs into and somewhat underneath Hayward. At least, that's how I see it.

And I'm not saying it was a dirty play; I don't think it was. But it's clear (again, to me) that there's contact that contributed to Hayward's fall, though LeBron probably contributed as well (but also not dirty).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2017, 06:03:17 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think crowder turned towards Hayward to avoid LeBron coming in.

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nothing dirty. Stuff like that happens sometimes when guys are jumping so hard and weigh so much.