Author Topic: Celtics (33-15) at Hawks (13-37) Game #49 2/3/20  (Read 33560 times)

Re: Celtics (33-15) at Hawks (13-37) Game #49 2/3/20
« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2020, 04:17:35 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Anyone give me an update on the Theis injury?

Sprained his ankle coming down and trying to avoid Young's foot. Was initially available to go back in but once he sat down it tightened up and he was ruled out for the game. He's hopefully of playing against Orlando so hopefully it's not too serious.

yeah, it didn't look to bad, but maybee the'll be caucious with him for the next game or two. Theis has been all that we have hoped for, going into the season.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2020, 07:51:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Sprained his ankle coming down and trying to avoid Young's foot. Was initially available to go back in but once he sat down it tightened up and he was ruled out for the game. He's hopefully of playing against Orlando so hopefully it's not too serious.

yeah, it didn't look to bad, but maybe the'll be cautious with him for the next game or two. Theis has been all that we have hoped for, going into the season.
I missed the 2nd half, but on highlights Grant looked really good.  What a life-saver up front!  Kid is just high IQ and tough as nails.

« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

yeah, it didn't look to bad, but maybe the'll be cautious with him for the next game or two. Theis has been all that we have hoped for, going into the season.
I missed the 2nd half, but on highlights Grant looked really good.  What a life-saver up front!  Kid is just high IQ and tough as nails.
Yeah, with Theis going down and Kanter still a bit ginger it was really good to see Grant step up. Good that we didn't need to go to VP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2020, 08:22:07 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

TP

« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Watching the highlights from last night, it's absolutely shocking how many of the Celtic highlights happen against John Collins. Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and even Grant Williams scored so many and so easily against him.

He might be the worst defender in the NBA. He's certainly right up there with Jordan Clarkson, Isaiah Thomas, and Trae Young, but he might be the worst. He's almost definitely the worst  big man defender that gets 30+ minutes a game.

« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
John Collins isn't as bad as you'd think based on the Celtics highlights. He's just wildly inconsistent.(like every Hawk to tell the truth)

He'll have some really nice highlight defensive plays as well, using his athleticism and size well to impact plays with steals/blocks/etc.

But you absolutely cannot count on him to do so on any given play. Even worse you cannot count on him even trying each play, but that again is a team wide issue. (*cough Trae *cough*)

Edit: most of the +/- advanced stats have him rated out as a somewhat positive defensive player. Which probably says something about the rest of the Hawks rotation as much as it does him.

« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2020, 10:42:44 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
John Collins isn't as bad as you'd think based on the Celtics highlights. He's just wildly inconsistent.(like every Hawk to tell the truth)

He'll have some really nice highlight defensive plays as well, using his athleticism and size well to impact plays with steals/blocks/etc.

But you absolutely cannot count on him to do so on any given play. Even worse you cannot count on him even trying each play, but that again is a team wide issue. (*cough Trae *cough*)

Good thoughts. Just to be clear, my assessment is not based solely on the highlights, but I did notice it in the highlights.

« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Good thoughts. Just to be clear, my assessment is not based solely on the highlights, but I did notice it in the highlights.
Oh certaintly not. I'm right there with you.

I watched the game and said the same thing you did "worst defender in the league among "star" players". Something like that.

Then he had like 3 plays with good defensive rotations, a nice vertical contest on Tatum, stuff like that. Would get the loose ball or hunt down a nice rebound. My opinion on him the whole game was so up and down, he must drive his coaches nuts.

Its one thing if you're dealing with guy like Trae who's going to suck no matter what based on his physical tools. But Collins has the length, strength, and athleticism to be an impact defensive player.

There a ton of losing habits going on in Atlanta and they need to stamp those out as much as they need to grow into or upgrade their talent.

« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Moved to Grant Williams thread...thanks