Author Topic: Celtics Recall Fab Melo From D-League  (Read 9602 times)

Celtics Recall Fab Melo From D-League
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
The Celtics have recalled rookie center Fab Melo from the D-League, the team announced today in a press release. Melo almost certainly won't be a part of Boston's postseason rotation, but he'll available if needed.

Melo, 22, had been playing with the Maine Red Claws for the last several weeks. However, the club was eliminated from the D-League playoffs over the weekend, losing in the first round to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the Rockets' affiliate. Melo averaged 8.5 PPG and 7.5 RPG in Maine's two postseason losses.

Does this mean Melo time for the last 2 games!? ;D

He did not dominate in the d league so he most dominate in the nba! ...
Dutch Celtics Pride

Re: Celtics Recall Fab Melo From D-League
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:50:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Lets cross our fingers that the last game of this season is Melo's coming out like the knicks game was for avery two seasons ago.

not likely.....
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Means KG is probably gonna be doing some sittin?

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Does this mean we might play him, or Danny just remembered he had a guy there?

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
If Hibbert is playing tomorrow night I would start Melo and play him for 40 minutes or until he fouls out, whichever comes first.

Seriously, why not?

1. New York has secured the #2 spot and Boston has secured the #7 spot -doesn't matter if we win or lose.

2. Great opportunity for Melo to match up against a true NBA big man in Hibbert - a player with a body type somewhat similar to Melo.

3. Have Hibbert (figuratively) punch Melo right in the head. Great way to end the season with a measuring stick of where you're at versus true NBA big guys. I'm serious - great motivation.

Who knows, maybe Melo will have a decent night.

The D-League doesn't really have many true seven footers - It would be great for Melo tyo get some serious burn against some bigger players in the league.

Rest Wilcox - he's injury prone anywway - start:

Melo / Shavlik
Bass / DJ White
Green / TWill
Lee / Crawford
TWill / Crawford

That's nine players - take a look at them...

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Does this mean we might play him, or Danny just remembered he had a guy there?
Means the d-league playoffs are done for the Red Claws so he might as well practice with the C's instead heading right into an offseason.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Hibbert is playing tomorrow night I would start Melo and play him for 40 minutes or until he fouls out, whichever comes first.

Seriously, why not?

1. New York has secured the #2 spot and Boston has secured the #7 spot -doesn't matter if we win or lose.

2. Great opportunity for Melo to match up against a true NBA big man in Hibbert - a player with a body type somewhat similar to Melo.

3. Have Hibbert (figuratively) punch Melo right in the head. Great way to end the season with a measuring stick of where you're at versus true NBA big guys. I'm serious - great motivation.

The D-League doesn't really have many true seven footers - It would be great for Melo tyo get some serious burn against some bigger players in the league.

Melo / Shavlik
Bass / DJ White
Green / TWill
Lee / Crawford
TWill / Crawford

Its time to start getting the playoff rotations down and getting those players into a rhythm entering the playoffs. Its not time to be giving little used scrubs some playing time.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Its not time to be giving little used scrubs some playing time.

If we can steal one of the first games they may crumble it is NYC afterall.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Seriously, why not?

Melo / Shavlik
Bass / DJ White
Green / TWill
Lee / Crawford
TWill / Crawford

Its time to start getting the playoff rotations down and getting those players into a rhythm entering the playoffs. Its not time to be giving little used scrubs some playing time.

If Garnett isn't playing, I am fine with it.

If KG is playing, I say go with playoff rotation.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Seriously, why not?

ha, ha. i can guarantee you which would come first for melo. but i still agree with your basic premise. play the guy, let him learn, let him foul, if he fouls out he fouls out. so what?

actually, i hope to see more of shavlik. he has a better chance of helping in the playoffs than melo. and i really am curious what the celtics have in him. just how good is he?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yeah its time to throw him in the fire

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Don't get all the hate towards Fab Melo... Anyone who had huge or high expectations need to snap back to reality...

A 7 footer who made the transition from playing soccer, to basketball for 7 years now from dominating college to playing professional didn't pan out? Surprise surprise.

Big men like him are always going to take a couple years, hence why he's a project. Hence, why you can't call him a bust. Yet.

I actually have high hopes for Fab Melo. I can clearly tell he has the ability to be a great defensive center, and with the amount of work and skills the Celtics teach him. I actually believe he'll be a 11 PPG, 9 RPG and 1.7 BPG sort of center in 2-3 years. Give him time, I don't know why people expect him to be dominant right now. Cause he plays sloppy?

Forcing him into D-League doesn't help him at all... There aren't that many natural 7 footers. And even then Fab Melo was doing playing well in D-League. Granted, there were plenty of bone headed plays but that comes with the territory of whether or not Melo can learn from his mistakes. I just know all this information and experience, and practicing with the team can help him in the off season.

If we could get Hakeem to teach him...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
I would only suggest this if the choice was made to rest our top "older" guys the last two games. For me, that means KG, Wilcox, Pierce, Jet, etc.

Then I'd definitely start Melo and play him until he fouled out.

We already know what the vets can and will do...but I've loved watching the young kids getting slapped around and trying to figure things out. Good for 'em.

We won't see it but I'd love it if we did.

Given our injury luck this season, just rest all the key guys the old guys the last two games.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't get all the hate towards Fab Melo... Anyone who had huge or high expectations need to snap back to reality...

A 7 footer who made the transition from playing soccer, to basketball for 7 years now from dominating college to playing professional didn't pan out? Surprise surprise.

Big men like him are always going to take a couple years, hence why he's a project. Hence, why you can't call him a bust. Yet.

I actually have high hopes for Fab Melo. I can clearly tell he has the ability to be a great defensive center, and with the amount of work and skills the Celtics teach him. I actually believe he'll be a 11 PPG, 9 RPG and 1.7 BPG sort of center in 2-3 years. Give him time, I don't know why people expect him to be dominant right now. Cause he plays sloppy?

Forcing him into D-League doesn't help him at all... There aren't that many natural 7 footers. And even then Fab Melo was doing playing well in D-League. Granted, there were plenty of bone headed plays but that comes with the territory of whether or not Melo can learn from his mistakes. I just know all this information and experience, and practicing with the team can help him in the off season.

If we could get Hakeem to teach him...
Not sure where you are getting that people are hating on Fab Melo. I called him a scrub but as of right now, that is what he is.

He has potential and he has a possible future in this league but as of right now, he isn't really very good at all. He might be one of the top 20 worst players in this league. So I think "scrub" isn't to far off or extremely insulting.

I hope he does become something. I'm not sure from the bit I have seen from him he will but I hope he does. But for now, let's just give him a towel and let him wave it from the bench. We need to prep our players that will be playing in the playoffs right now, not giving players who aren't that good playing time because fans want to see them play because they always think the bench scrub at the end of the bench is great and can't understand why he isn't playing.

Melo will get his chance at playing time next year. Let him practice with the team now, go to Summer League, work out in Waltham with the coaches this summer and have a good training camp. That is probably the best thing for him mentally and for his confidence right now.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Agreed Monkhouse -

melo strikes me as a Hibbert type center. I'm not saying he's going to put up Hibbert numbers - just that he's a lumbering, true seven footer.

I think his main value is going to be that he can just clog up the lane and be "big and long" around the rim.

He has one definite ability which is to affect and block shots around the rim. That skill doesn't just go away because you moved to the next level - but it may take more than 8-9 months to get that skill to translate to that next level.

A little more time before we call him a bust.