Poll

Where do the Rockets end up if they were in the East this season?

Contending with Cavs and Bulls for first
5 (50%)
Contending for first place in regular season standings but have no chance come playoff time
0 (0%)
clear cut 3rd best team behind Bulls/Cavs
2 (20%)
About the Wizards level, as good or slightly better than Toronto
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Where would the Rockets finish in the Eastern Conference?  (Read 1169 times)

Where would the Rockets finish in the Eastern Conference?
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We were terrible, but that Rockets team are nothing to what they were last year. Ariza was very poor for his standards tonight, but the Rockets in general appear to be a very average team with an average coach that are built for the regular season of all offense and relying on a single rim protector for defense. Losing Parsons is probably going to be bigger than people think for them.
 We had no answer for Harden, Howard or Jones. Sully put up a good fight, and Bass gave a veterans effort, but I thought everyone else was simply terrible on the Celtics- I mean I can't remember the last time I saw them play so badly- it was almost comical at times.

Anyway, that got me thinking...where do the Rockets end up in the East this year?
Are they top 3 or more like 4th or 5th now they've lost Parsons?

Cavs 1/2
Bulls 1/2
Wizards 3/5
Toronto 4/6
Charlotte 4/6

Are they as good as the Wizards or way better?
I'm just not impressed by them this season and was never impressed by them last season assuming that Portland would kill them.

Although Harden and Howard did have a very good night.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Where would the Rockets finish in the Eastern Conference?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have to say personally I think Harden was outstanding last night.  Avery Bradley is not a bad defender.  Smart isn't either.  His ball handling was really top level and it got him basically any play he wanted no matter who was on him.   He also attacked our bigs in transition perfectly.  He is a genius for drawing fouls. His passing is great too so he basically has a complete offensive game. 

I have always really liked Harden for his all around game, but he is reaching a level this year possibly even I didn't think he'd get too.  Really dominant.

His defense needs work no doubt, but on offense that's a great player.

As for the Celtics, I do think Olynyk needed to respond physically and didn't.  At least he could have hit threes to space the floor, which he didn't.

Looking at it myself, missing that many threes, which are crucial to our plans but we can hit, gives us no shot.  If we only made a very reasonable amount we are closer in this game and at least don't look so bad.  Not saying we should be content with a loss but personally I think Houston is a contending type team.  Howard is playing with the best all around offensive player he has (and that there may be in the whole league right now) and he is really focusing on the key things he should and being put in position to succeed.  He also is a great player.

I expected to lose this game and be closer.  With the threes hitting a bit more it would have been exactly what I expected.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:06:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Rockets can't and won't go on the road and play another 79 games at that intensity level.  They were up for the challenge and ambushed a tired looking lackluster young Celtics team. 

C's couldn't get their offense going, no passing, poor ball handling , bad everything.

They came at us ..like they were shot out of a cannon.  Celtics weren't ready for that punch and could not shoot their way out of a wet paper sack last night.  Was just miserable to watch.

I don't think the Rockets will move far in a playoff series.  They have to keep Harden or Howard ...one of them on the court all the time to maintain their points.  Rare to see both sitting.

Probably 4 th seed in east
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:13:38 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Rockets can't and won't go on the road and play another 79 games at that intensity level.  They were up for the challenge and ambushed a tired looking lackluster young Celtics team. 

C's couldn't get their offense going, no passing, poor ball handling , bad everything.

They came at us ..like they were shot out of a cannon.  Celtics weren't ready for that punch and could not shoot their way out of a wet paper sack last night.  Was just miserable to watch.

I don't think the Rockets will move far in a playoff series.  They have to keep Harden or Howard ...one of them on the court all the time to maintain their points.  Rare to see both sitting.

Probably 4 th seed in east
Um Houston won by 14 points in a game they shot 42% from the field and Howard only went for 14/9 and Harden was only 5 of 14 from the field.  This was anything but a stellar performance by Houston and they won by 14 points. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Top 3 easy. Then again many teams in the West would be. East truly is a disaster.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Rockets aren't that great, shot 50 free throws lol. Celtics went 0-20 at one point for three. Also at one point we were only down by 9.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Competing for 4th seed. IMO they are worse than Miami (let alone Cleveland and Chicago).

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think they'd have a very legitimate chance of finishing in the top three in the East.  Heck, I think they have a good chance to finish top three in the West. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rockets are a better team than us, not sure they can beat SA.  Portland is tough and Dallas made some nice additions.