Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120474 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1005 on: July 05, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Really really like Kawhi. Ever since this story broke out, I can't help but wonder

A) whether it's likely that the C's will trade for him
B) how the C's would look like with Kawhi on their roster

Personally speaking, I'd rather part ways with Kyrie instead of Brown. Here is my line of thinking:

Assuming

-Kawhi is willing to commit long term with the C's
or
-Danny believes that Kyrie is planning to leave next summer via free agency

I'd push for a Kyrie for Kawhi straight up deal. Worst case scenario, we include a non Kings/Grizzlies first as well.

Step 2
We trade Morris to the Clips for Beverley.

(obviously, these are 2 different trades)

Step 3
Since we can't afford both Smart and Rozier (going forward), I'd trade Rozier at the deadline for the best pick I could possibly get. No point in starting a score-first PG when we 'd already have far too many options on the offensive side of the ball (Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford).

So this is how the team would look like come playoffs time next season (hopefully everybody will be healthy for a change)

PG: Beverley, Smart, Wanamaker
SG: Brown, buyout market FA on the minimum (someone who can stretch the floor), Nader
SF: Kawhi, Hayward, Semi
PF: Tatum, Theis, Yabu
C: Horford, Baynes, Williams

First: I don't think the Spur will trade for Irving with one year left, they want future assests. Guys with multiple years left, young, and possible on rookie contracts, and picks, lots of picks. Irving would be a bad trade for them.

Second: NO way are we paying Hayward 30mil to come off the bench. If a trade of Irving for Leonard happened, it would be Leonard/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Leonard and Hayward would handle PG duty, and Leonard and Brown would guard the smalls.

- Kyrie had the Spurs on his list of preferred trade destinations last summer.

- Spurs are telling teams they prefer to remain competitive even with Kawhi Leonard trade. Kyrie is the best return they can possibly get. Not to mention he is just 26 years old.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250418/Spurs-Telling-Teams-They-Prefer-To-Remain-Competitive-Even-With-Kawhi-Leonard-Trade

Regarding your second point, neither Kawhi nor Hayward is a PG. I believe Hayward has what it takes to run a half court offense from time to time, but we need someone who can consistently bring the ball up the court.

Kyrie wanted to go to the Spurs to play with Leonard not be his replacement.

I'm pretty sure Leonard and Hayward can dribble a ball up the floor, and with their size if they get pressured from an other smaller PG, they just pass over them. The Bulls did just fine with Pippen and Harper taking the ball up the floor.

« Reply #1006 on: July 05, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
As time goes on, the odds are going up that we get him. It appears that LA is confident they don't need to make a deal this year. We aren't giving up a starter, and so far it doesn't look like Philly is giving up Fultz.

If no one blinks, I'm guessing our offer could very well be the best one on the table. San Antonio isn't going to have more leverage by going into the season with this stalemate.

« Reply #1007 on: July 05, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I am so confused by what Kawhi wants... That being said... I really want Nasir Little, who I believe will eventually become the next Kawhi. So... I'll wait, and be patient while we draft him, and create the dynasty in 2-3 years from now.

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1008 on: July 05, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The more recent developments are interesting.  SAS is asking for the moon to trade Kawhi to LAL and Kawhi may not even want to still go there now that LeBron is there.  Both of these scenarios seem plausible to me.

Then it is that Philly is interested but won't include Fultz.  If true, I find that dumb.  I don't know what else in addition to Fultz SAS may be asking for but I would not let Fultz hold up this deal.

Philly seems like a good fit for Kawhi.  He could be the guy on the court but also not have to be the guy off the court thanks to Embiid.

I don't think it would be smart to trade Kawhi for Kyrie.  I don't buy the line up of Brown, Hayward, Leonard, Tatum, and Horford.  Lot's of talent but not enough balance .  You need a PG to initiate things on offense and you need someone who can cover the PG on defense.  We have one of the best PGs in the game and we have a stable of good wings.  Why trade the PG for another wing to add to the stable.  Makes no sense to me.

« Reply #1009 on: July 05, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I am so confused by what Kawhi wants... That being said... I really want Nasir Little, who I believe will eventually become the next Kawhi. So... I'll wait, and be patient while we draft him, and create the dynasty in 2-3 years from now.

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.

Sounds like you have a sound mind for college basketball and related pedigree.  So, I concur, monksy
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1010 on: July 05, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.
right now, tankaton has the celtics picking at #4 and #10 and #28. ainge can most certainly move up if needed. so, nassir little is possible. hard to believe this team has this much talent AND a couple of potentially excellent draft picks.

we are all spoiled by ainge.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1011 on: July 05, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I am so confused by what Kawhi wants...
I think he pretty clearly wants to be traded before the season to LA, preferably the Lakers.

I don't think anything has actually changed, that leaks from Lakers/Kawhi Camp/San Antonio conflict isn't surprising. Its all just random attempts to change the leverage of the current stalemate.

« Reply #1013 on: July 06, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

« Reply #1014 on: July 06, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8wccld/wojnarowski_the_lakers_feel_like_we_arent_going/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8weew5/michael_c_wright_lakers_are_not_kawhis_preferred/

Jerry West will swoop in. Mark my words.

The Lakers are content with being relevant. That was the driving force behind their motivations.

Helps the Clippers pick if that happens.  I’m rooting for it.

« Reply #1015 on: July 06, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Last free agency domino!

« Reply #1016 on: July 06, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.

I'd take Little although Sekou is also extremely intriguing.

Either one and we're set for a decade.

Although I might be able to be sold on Rozier as the PG of the future..

« Reply #1017 on: July 06, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.

Was agreeing with everything you were saying, until you mentioned Rozier could be our PG of the future. Like the kid, he's a great teammate, but Kyrie is light years above him.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #1018 on: July 06, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.

Was agreeing with everything you were saying, until you mentioned Rozier could be our PG of the future. Like the kid, he's a great teammate, but Kyrie is light years above him.

Kyrie is obviously better but not sure if we can afford him long term with Tatum/Brown/2019 pick/Williams all needing big $.

« Reply #1019 on: July 06, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Irving
Brown/Smart
Nasir Little
Tatum
Williams

Oh lawd.
right now, tankaton has the celtics picking at #4 and #10 and #28. ainge can most certainly move up if needed. so, nassir little is possible. hard to believe this team has this much talent AND a couple of potentially excellent draft picks.

we are all spoiled by ainge.  ;D
I just looked it up. I wish we could get the Clips pick but if Kawhi goes there next summer than at least we'll get their 1st in 2020 instead of their 2nd rounder.
They also have Charles Bassey going #16...lol...no. way. in. hell. Kid is one of the best prospects and I do believe he has already reclassified and will attend classes. Easily a top 10 pick, especially in next year's draft. He's one to keep an eye on since not many WKU games are on the tube.