Author Topic: The Refs  (Read 2694 times)

Re: The Refs
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I can only tolerate watching the Celtics these days.  I'd watch other NBA games if officials didn't guess on half their calls, reward out of control offensive players, and generally blow the whistle because they're terrified to let play go on for more than a minute without a whistle.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
that is a catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 10:55:21 PM »

Offline Seymour scagnetti

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I can only tolerate watching the Celtics these days.  I'd watch other NBA games if officials didn't guess on half their calls, reward out of control offensive players, and generally blow the whistle because they're terrified to let play go on for more than a minute without a whistle.
imo, officials aren't guessing at calls. They are making the calls they are told to make , same as it ever was for the last 50 yrs. that is what the nba calls good for business. I, like you , disagree. But we are real fans of basketball, not highlight watchers, or box score readers.just my opinion, could be mistaken.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 02:13:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
imo, officials aren't guessing at calls. They are making the calls they are told to make , same as it ever was for the last 50 yrs. that is what the nba calls good for business. I, like you , disagree. But we are real fans of basketball, not highlight watchers, or box score readers.just my opinion, could be mistaken.
I've thought similarly for quite some time
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw the title, and immediately thought the topic would be about the bad NFL officiating this weekend. I guess, bad referring knows no limits.

However, getting back to that Atlanta game, the Marcus Smart ejection may have helped the Celtics win the game. The Celtics defensive intensity was off the charts after that, and the Hawks simply couldn't match it.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Win or lose, this was an extremely poorly reffed game.  As I said in the game thread, there were at least a half-dozen bad-to-horrible calls in the second half alone.

Why does a billion dollar industry put up with it? There need to be fines or suspensions for the officials after tonight.

Its not just the NBA - the NFL is terrible too.  I've always comapred NBA refs to the WWF.  Remember watching that stuff and they'd hit each other with chairs, etc.?  Refs in the NBA and the NFL are scum of the earth.  I have more respect for prostitutes that do 20 guys a night.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Tatum gets little respect from the refs. I’m glad he’s going to hoop more now (instead of 99% settling for a bad jumper) but he deserves to be on the line more.

I thought Tatum got fouled almost every time down the stretch in that Hawks game. Fortunately Horford cleaned up those boards for put backs. Thrice I think that happened?
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Win or lose, this was an extremely poorly reffed game.  As I said in the game thread, there were at least a half-dozen bad-to-horrible calls in the second half alone.

Why does a billion dollar industry put up with it? There need to be fines or suspensions for the officials after tonight.

It actually ruining the sport.

Incompetent, poorly trained, figures of authority controlling the pace and flow of a sporting event. Very sad indeed.

Head coaches need to have a number of challenges per game to question the exceptionally poor calls by refs. Officials with a high number of challenges then need to be addressed by the league.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

It actually ruining the sport.

Incompetent, poorly trained, figures of authority controlling the pace and flow of a sporting event. Very sad indeed.

Head coaches need to have a number of challenges per game to question the exceptionally poor calls by refs. Officials with a high number of challenges then need to be addressed by the league.

Well said.  Good idea, but the final decision in a challenged call should not be made by the floor officials but by a person/team put in charge of reviews.  I wonder if the threat of a few challenges will help light a fire under these lazy whistle happy refs.  probably not, as someone above suggested, they are doing what they're told. 

Bottom line:  if the league wants to be taken more seriously, they need to put resources into accountability.  When there's a phantom call on Morris where he doesn't even touch the guy, someone in charge needs to sit down with that official and say:  Okay what did you see exactly that made you blow the whistle?  Of course, this is not really a solution. There has to be a penalty for missed calls.  Otherwise you just have a bunch of officials basically agreeing that they suck and then continuing to suck.  This is where the NBA has no vision.  They have no clue how to teach these refs nuance.  They are taking away gray area and saying: well he was near him and the guy didn't score so safe bet to blow the whistle.  Terrible approach!!!

Bad calls in NFL can have dramatic consequences, but there are usually very few serious mistakes.  NBA officiating is Trumpian, covering up one mistake with the next...