Author Topic: Red's Mistakes  (Read 6505 times)

Red's Mistakes
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »

Offline laverdad34

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Hi guys, I'm a young celtic fan from argentina, so i want to know what was some of red's mistakes in the history of a franchise, like players that he choose in the draft and was terrible bad players, or trades he didn't make cause some reason...

PS: We miss you red, i make this post just to know more about you, no hard feelings at all ;D

Re: Red's Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Hi guys, I'm a young celtic fan from argentina, so i want to know what was some of red's mistakes in the history of a franchise, like players that he choose in the draft and was terrible bad players, or trades he didn't make cause some reason...

PS: We miss you red, i make this post just to know more about you, no hard feelings at all ;D

Joe Forte

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:15:33 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Red is infallible!

But, if he wasn't, I'd say his strong recommendation to draft Joe Forte was flawed.

Also, I wasn't enamored by the deal shipping Danny Ainge out of town for Joe Kleine and Ed Pickney.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I hate to say it but Len Bias. I know it wasnt Red's fault but that was Red's guy through and through I mean Red spoke at his memorial service right?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
red's positive contributions/decisions for this organization FAAAAAAAAR outweigh any negative decision/moves he has made. hell, he IS the boston celtics.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Cigar smoking.  He would have made it to 90 (and seen another championship) if he'd quit smoking  ::)
Yup

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Michael Smith
Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I hate to say it but Len Bias. I know it wasnt Red's fault but that was Red's guy through and through I mean Red spoke at his memorial service right?

Yeah, good call. Bias marked the beginning of the end for Red as a successful GM in the league. Imagine if he sold Cleveland on Bias and Daugherty was able to step in for that late 80's run? Who Knows.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Red is infallible!

But, if he wasn't, I'd say his strong recommendation to draft Joe Forte was flawed.

Also, I wasn't enamored by the deal shipping Danny Ainge out of town for Joe Kleine and Ed Pickney.
Even at 14 years old, that Ainge trade baffled me.  But from my life experiences, Red Auerbach is to Boston as Bear Bryant is to Alabama.  Sacred.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Historically one of the decisions most criticized in his otherwise stellar career, was Red's loyalty to the big 3 near the end of their careers.  Danny Ainge has said before that when he was a player he tried to convince Red to trade one or all of the big 3 in order to receive some young talent to rejuvenate the team for the future.  Who knows what would have happened if Red had indeed traded Bird or any of the big three, but it is often considered that his decision to stick with them through their respective declines left the franchise in a position where they were without talented young players or any leverage in trades.  This was of course compounded by the deaths of Len Bias (and Reggie Lewis a few years later.)

It was followed by over twenty years of futility and frustration.  I'm not saying that any of this is indeed true, because there are a lot of hypotheticals involved, but if you want to know about historical mistakes made by Red, this one is often considered one of the biggest.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
As for huge franchise mistakes...I present to you Rick Pitino.   :-X

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
As for huge franchise mistakes...I present to you Rick Pitino.   :-X
:-[Sometimes I shudder when I think about the bad times and frustrating people/players involved with this franchise over the last two decades.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Wanting Joe Forte over Tony Parker or Gilbert Arenas (We made promises to both players)

Trading Danny, not trading Parish or McHale could be argued by some.

That's all I can really think of.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
He thought Bob Cousy wasn't going to be a good player and passed on him in the draft.  He only got given him later when the Tri-City Blackhawks were disbanded (and even then, he wasn't Red's first choice).  

The drafting of Michael Smith wasn't stellar either.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
There were a few moves that seemed questionable, but they always sort of worked out. For example, the Celtics gave up three first round picks in the 79 draft (3, 9 and 21 - eventually Bill Cartwright, Larry Demic and Sly Williams) to acquire Bob McAdoo, who didn't do much in Boston. However, they used McAdoo to get the two first round picks in 80 (1 and 13) that were then traded for Parish and McHale. So Red made it all work out in the end.

A lot of people mentioned Ainge for Pinckney and Kleine, but honestly, at that point we had Reggie and Shaw to play the 2, while Bird was out for the season (89) and we needed frontcourt help behind the aging McHale/Parish combo. We should have gone younger with it if anything, but both those guys actually gave us decent service.

Other than that, no really bad trades I guess, just some poor draft choices, though that happens to everybody. We gave up the second round pick that turned out to be Gerald Wilkins, a pretty good player but not a world changer, to get the Knicks to agree not to resign Ray Williams. In 85, we traded up to get Sam Vincent and gave up the pick that turned out to be Terry Porter, another pretty good player who would have helped us in the late 80s more than Vincent did. In the Maxwell for Walton trade, we also gave up a first round pick that turned out to be Arvydas Sabonis, though he didn't come to the NBA until more than a decade later. 
Go Celtics.