Author Topic: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons  (Read 14707 times)

Re: “Reboot scenario” floated by Bill Simmons
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • GOT IT!!!
OMG, this is getting unbearable. I am glad Ainge is in charge and not any of us. Building around Tatum and Brown would be like the Lakers building around Ingram and Kuzma. DA will do everything in his power to maintain and acquire as much top end talent as possible for this team moving forward. He will basically lock Kyrie in a room and not let him leave until he signs a new contract in Boston.

I really hope the Hayward injury isn't the catalyst that removes us from championship contenders for years to come to the Orlando Magic. This season has been disappointing, but going back to an average team with little chance to improve would be devastating.

Nah you’ll get over it, it’s all entertainment anyways.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Does he even want to win??
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm in favor a "reboot" scenario EXCEPT I would 100% want Al Horford to stick around.

The ideal would be for him to opt out this summer and then re-sign him to something like 4 years $85 million or whatever.  Maybe a bit overpaid on the back end but I'm OK with that especially if we're looking at a soft rebuild / youth movement for a few years.

Horford is exactly the kind of guy you want leading the way if you're going to have a team of mostly young guys.

I'd want Smart around as well.

Keep those guys in green till they retire as far as I'm concerned.

so unless you are proposing just stretching hayward or something, this basically just means letting irving and morris walk right?

Irving, Morris, Rozier -- set them all free, as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't stretch Hayward, I still have hope for him, and even if he's never much more than he is now, he's still a team player who does positive things on the court without taking anything away from the other guys.  He's just not the scorer we need.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

Rebooting a team when already in such a strong position is stupid.

Yup.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 06:36:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well some think the team plays better without Irving (not me) so why reboot? To some it's addition by subtraction. For me I still believe you don't reboot. Brown and Tatum are supposed to develop. Hayward is getting healthier.
Say the worse thing happens Irving and the other FAs walk. Its

Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Williams and Semi are your top six without signing anyone.

Likely still a playoff team in the East. C's  have two or three first round picks in 2019. Grizz pick in 2020. Also back under the tax. Not the end of the world.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yup.

Kinda seems like we're not all on the same page about what a "reboot" would mean.

To be fair though I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know the exact details of what Simmons is suggesting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 06:41:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum's and Brown's year of not developing really makes me wonder if building only around them is a non-option.

We all figured after last year's playoffs like the Celtics had a future Jimmy Butler type player that could hit the three and a future, KD-lite player that would be an awesomely efficient #1 offensive option.

Not sure I have the confidence in the Jay's becoming superstars as I did last year

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • GOT IT!!!
Tatum's and Brown's year of not developing really makes me wonder if building only around them is a non-option.

We all figured after last year's playoffs like the Celtics had a future Jimmy Butler type player that could hit the three and a future, KD-lite player that would be an awesomely efficient #1 offensive option.

Not sure I have the confidence in the Jay's becoming superstars as I did last year

I think they like most young players will look a lot better with more shots and bigger roles. No that’s doesn’t necessarily translate to winning games though.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I hate it.

If both Kyrie and Horford leave, won't we have max space for a max contract?

That's about 50 million off the books
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:59:56 PM by gpap »

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I agree that their stagnation is concerning.  The question is to what can we attribute their stagnation?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 07:04:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yup.

Kinda seems like we're not all on the same page about what a "reboot" would mean.

To be fair though I haven't listened to the podcast yet, so I don't know the exact details of what Simmons is suggesting.

If you're letting all veterans walk (I'd like to know exactly how BS is defining veteran here), that's not a reboot.  That's a blowup and a rebuild.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Does he even want to win??
I'm starting ask this question about some of the posters here...
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I've never had confidence in Jaylen developing into a star - the BBIQ just isn't there IMO. Seeing Jayson become more Melo than Pierce has given me serious pause. He still has time to right the ship, but constantly watching him call for clear outs to ISO for shots he misses makes me nauseous.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I've never had confidence in Jaylen developing into a star - the BBIQ just isn't there IMO. Seeing Jayson become more Melo than Pierce has given me serious pause. He still has time to right the ship, but constantly watching him call for clear outs to ISO for shots he misses makes me nauseous.
It makes me so angry seeing him do that. He's playing a lot like he did at Duke (inefficient with bad shot selection), but with probably worse defence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
   just like paul pierce said yesterday prior to the game " one of the reasons the Celtics are where they are is because Jaylen and Jason not taking the next big step from last year". and hes 1000 percent correct. what makes us think it will happen next yr.