Author Topic: Whats it worth to find Rob Williams and Romeo in 2021  (Read 7406 times)

Re: Whats it worth to find Rob Williams and Romeo in 2021
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 03:29:11 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think either Romeo or Nesmith will get traded this offseason. I also anticipate the Celtics selecting a PG or PF if they end up using their 1st rounder this season.

I agree that the young guys are continuing to develop, and that's nice to see. I hope that we can get a Lauri Markkanen type for next season.

I don't see a reason to trade either unless there is a big trade that they are needed for parts.   If any player get trade to just clear a spot it is Edwards.
agreed.  C's are looking at very solid swing rotation in Tatum, Brown, Fournier, Romeo and Nesmith that can be kept together for a number of years.  no need to break that up. 

You mean ‘wing’, not ‘swing’.

You’ve left out Marcus Smart, who shares a majority of his lineups with a point guard. - So even if you call him a ‘point guard’, he’s using a lot of wing minutes. That makes six.

The trouble with keeping both Romeo and Nesmith is that they’ve got four guys in front of them who already merit starter’s or high rotation minutes. It’s a math problem, not a talent problem.

Imo both of them have NBA rotation upside, so likely one of them won’t last in Boston.

Roster space can be obtained by moving Edward, Semi, GWill.

Semi is on an expiring contract, so that’s very unlikely in his case.

Just what happens to him after this season is a fascinating subject. He’s very good at two highly desirable skills: he’s a switchable defender who shoots 20 points over league-average from 3. He’s a 3-and-D swing.

In addition he doesn’t need the ball to be effective, executes reliably on both ends, protects the paint, runs the floor like a deer, and seldom turns it over. He will certainly land somewhere. Whether or not it’s Boston depends on the price.

Boston will not be dumping Grant to clear a roster spot. No one is untouchable, but he’s hard to replace. He’s a Celtic - some people will know what I mean.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think either Romeo or Nesmith will get traded this offseason. I also anticipate the Celtics selecting a PG or PF if they end up using their 1st rounder this season.

I agree that the young guys are continuing to develop, and that's nice to see. I hope that we can get a Lauri Markkanen type for next season.

I don't see a reason to trade either unless there is a big trade that they are needed for parts.   If any player get trade to just clear a spot it is Edwards.
agreed.  C's are looking at very solid swing rotation in Tatum, Brown, Fournier, Romeo and Nesmith that can be kept together for a number of years.  no need to break that up. 

You’ve left out Marcus Smart, who shares a majority of his lineups with a point guard. - So even if you call him a ‘point guard’, he’s using a lot of wing minutes. That makes six.

The trouble with keeping both Romeo and Nesmith is that they’ve got four guys in front of them who already merit starter’s or high rotation minutes. It’s a math problem, not a talent problem.

Imo both of them have NBA rotation upside, so likely one of them won’t last in Boston.

Just what happens to him after this season is a fascinating subject. He’s very good at two highly desirable skills: he’s a switchable defender who shoots 20 points over league-average from 3. He’s a 3-and-D swing.

In addition he doesn’t need the ball to be effective, executes reliably on both ends, protects the paint, runs the floor like a deer, and seldom turns it over. He will certainly land somewhere. Whether or not it’s Boston depends on the price.

Boston will not be dumping Grant to clear a roster spot. No one is untouchable, but he’s hard to replace. He’s a Celtic - some people will know what I mean.
Semi is very movable == don't resign him.  clears a spot there.  maybe a S&T for a TPE but I don't see that as likely.  The goal is to get someone better in that slot.  Can't tell me you see Semi come into a game and think "he's going to make things better".

GWill and Edwards are under contract another year and while I wouldn't move GWill if Semi is leaving, Edwards is clearly someone we can jettison.  question is if it just costs us a second rounder and cash to buy him out or something more than that. 

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 06:11:45 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Can't tell me you see Semi come into a game and think "he's going to make things better".

He contributes to winning basketball games, bottom line.

Your attitude is not uncommon among fans, but clearly the coaching staff doesn't agree with you. He's gotten rotation minutes since his rookie year. Before he got hurt this year he was averaging his highest per-game minutes.

Clearly the management team doesn't agree with you, either. He got a make-good contract and was re-upped twice.

I don't know what you're looking at, frankly. I figured posters around here would change their minds when his 3-pt% went above league-average last season (it's higher still now, if you haven't looked), since that was the main criticism of his game; but no.

Edwards is clearly someone we can jettison.  question is if it just costs us a second rounder and cash to buy him out or something more than that.

Again, can't tell what you're looking at. You'd give a team Edwards, a second-round pick, and cash just to get off of his tiny contract? He's exactly where they expected him to be with his game. They gave him a developmental contract and he's fulfilling on it. He's coachable, improved tremendously in his dribble drive and finishing skills, as they asked him to. He has a total of two turnovers on the season.

It's smart management to have young developing players with potential, like Edwards and Nesmith and Langford and Grant. Boston has a lot of youth right now, and I suppose it's not surprising that posters' notions about how good they'll be are depressed by irregular court time, lack of shots for them, and the inevitable growing pains.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Personally i'm sorry to see Theis moved for so little but it opened up more time for Rob.Having Romeo bounce back after all that time just reaffirms the underlying talent.

Rozier is getting good press and the time he needs .He is producing at high level but would he have collided with the with Brown,Smart and  Tatum..
Everything is about chemistry is better being unshackled.Now we have Romeo and Aaron Nesmith and Rob with Romeo almost a 7ft wingspan and Aaron around 6-11.Both have great frames and work ethics..
Danny has stuck with our young guys like he is  afraid to let go.

I like that Rob has gotten more opportunity, I've liked his potential since the day he was drafted.   

But Romeo has looked absolutely useless to me since the day he was drafted, and in the minutes hes played the past few days haven't made me think any different.  He looks like D-League fodder to me, maybe the 14th or 15th guy on a roster at the best.  The guy has shown no indication that he can shoot, handle the ball or make plays for others and I've seen little to impress me defensively either.  BBIQ seems non-existent, and his body language on the court just indicates indifference and a total lack of passion.   I really have no clue what the hell anybody sees in him and will be surprised if he's averaging >22 MPG by the end of his rookie deal.

I also disagree on Rozier.  I think he'd be a fantastic fit with the current team.  He played with Smart, Tatum and Brown during that ECF run a few years back and they always seemed to have fantastic chemistry. I can't see why he wouldn't play well with them now.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 01:59:18 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Personally i'm sorry to see Theis moved for so little but it opened up more time for Rob.Having Romeo bounce back after all that time just reaffirms the underlying talent.
Rozier is getting good press and the time he needs .He is producing at high level but would he have collided with the with Brown,Smart and  Tatum..
Everything is about chemistry is better being unshackled.Now we have Romeo and Aaron Nesmith and Rob with Romeo almost a 7ft wingspan and Aaron around 6-11.Both have great frames and work ethics..
Danny has stuck with our young guys like he is  afraid to let go.

Next year it is Yam Madour a European point guard that is quick and edgy on defense and has European fundamentals
Fournier i hope we keep a really hard worker and role model , a desperate winner losses eat at him and he loves everything about basketball from lacing up his sneakers too,late nights in gym.
We need a power forward some young banger.
Here we go again with the undeserved optimism for Romeo. He’s averaging 2, 3, 2 on 33% shooting. Yes he plays nice D but if his offensive game doesn’t improve significantly he’ll never move the needle.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Can't tell me you see Semi come into a game and think "he's going to make things better".

He contributes to winning basketball games, bottom line.

Your attitude is not uncommon among fans, but clearly the coaching staff doesn't agree with you. He's gotten rotation minutes since his rookie year. Before he got hurt this year he was averaging his highest per-game minutes.

Clearly the management team doesn't agree with you, either. He got a make-good contract and was re-upped twice.

I don't know what you're looking at, frankly. I figured posters around here would change their minds when his 3-pt% went above league-average last season (it's higher still now, if you haven't looked), since that was the main criticism of his game; but no.

Edwards is clearly someone we can jettison.  question is if it just costs us a second rounder and cash to buy him out or something more than that.

Again, can't tell what you're looking at. You'd give a team Edwards, a second-round pick, and cash just to get off of his tiny contract? He's exactly where they expected him to be with his game. They gave him a developmental contract and he's fulfilling on it. He's coachable, improved tremendously in his dribble drive and finishing skills, as they asked him to. He has a total of two turnovers on the season.

It's smart management to have young developing players with potential, like Edwards and Nesmith and Langford and Grant. Boston has a lot of youth right now, and I suppose it's not surprising that posters' notions about how good they'll be are depressed by irregular court time, lack of shots for them, and the inevitable growing pains.
I see you love to make p----poor, condescending assumptions about what I'm seeing on the court. 

bottom line, we need a better option at PF than Semi or Grant and Edwards needs to be off the roster next year.   Edwards is not developing.  I have no idea what YOU'RE seeing.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Here we go again with the undeserved optimism for Romeo. He’s averaging 2, 3, 2 on 33% shooting. Yes he plays nice D but if his offensive game doesn’t improve significantly he’ll never move the needle.

I know it is hard to continue to be patient with Langford but you have to adjust expectations for the fact that this is really his preseason.  They are using this time to see if they can get him ready (or more ready) for the playoffs.

It's funny, plenty of people see a lost cause, I see a very young player with NBA talent.  I don't necessarily believe we will see that talent come to fruition this season with such a late start for him but I do believe it is there.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 09:25:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I know it is hard to continue to be patient with Langford but you have to adjust expectations for the fact that this is really his preseason.  They are using this time to see if they can get him ready (or more ready) for the playoffs.

It's funny, plenty of people see a lost cause, I see a very young player with NBA talent.  I don't necessarily believe we will see that talent come to fruition this season with such a late start for him but I do believe it is there.
I like Langford better than Nesmith at this point.  He seems like a better defender and is more comfortable out there.  Nesmith has a slow release on his shot and generally seems like he has deer-in-the-headlights body language, but I guess Romeo was too as a rookie.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 09:47:41 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Just substitute Saddiq Bey for Nesmith in the 2020 draft and you've got your wish

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Cs need a stud PF who can shoot 3s at over37% and average about 15 and 8.
Collins?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
Collins?

Works for me and it should work for the Cs. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Collins?

Can a player be considered a “Stud” PF if they are only averaging 15ppg and 8reb?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
Collins?

Can a player be considered a “Stud” PF if they are only averaging 15ppg and 8reb?

Yes as opposed to a wimp at 15 and 8. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 05:04:13 PM »

Online Silas

• Danny Ainge
I just checked some current stats. Not saying that I want the Cs to go after these guy but I think they would meet my definition of a needed PF. 

Richaun Holmes....14 and 8
Wendell Carter Jr.....12 and 8
Michael Porter Jr.....17.5 and 7.8
John Collins....18.2 and 7.8
and finally, Ben Simmons.....14.9 and 7.6

Edit:  just realized I didn’t look at their 3 point %.  Obviously Holmes, Carter and Simmons don’t meet the 3 point shooting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:22:10 PM by Silas »

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 05:29:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Collins?

Al Horford and Draymond come to mind.

So yes, if they’re elite passers and defenders
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)