Author Topic: Could Langford be a player?  (Read 20095 times)

Re: Could Langford be a player?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 10:23:01 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Energy, toughness, and poise. He's got a lot to learn but he's still only played 37 NBA games. He has a great foundation to build on.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://youtu.be/3vqWhyB8eVY

Highlight vs Nuggets. Mainly defensive details

Langford is a strong defender.   He is making an impact on the floor even if not putting up ritzy offensive numbers

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
He moves like he belongs out there. Looks like a legit rotation player at least. Who knows where he builds from there.
#JKJB

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
He moves like he belongs out there. Looks like a legit rotation player at least. Who knows where he builds from there.

Agree!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2021, 01:50:12 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I’ve been highly intrigued by Langford’s potential and desperately want to see him succeed and become a solid and reliable contributor. He has shown great effort on the defensive end, with some noticeable misjudgments along the way, but that’s to be expected due to his lack of playing time. However, it’s on the offensive side that is concerning to me. For now, I’m chalking it up to lack of playing time and on-court chemistry. He plays far too passive offensively and doesn’t look to score. Last night, when Romeo was playing, I wanted Stevens, Kemba, or Marcus to call plays for him, where the play was designed for Langford to score. Even during “garbage time” last night, he didn’t try or even hint at wanting to be the lead scorer. Is he too far removed from his high school scoring days, due to his hand injury, that he’s having trouble finding his confidence offensively?

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2021, 02:10:19 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
His defense is exceptional, especially individually, once he excels on team defense he’ll be a fixture in the rotation. He’ll get spot minutes in the playoffs until he does or provides decent spot up shooting.

He looks indecisive with the ball and needs to increase his confidence on offense and once he trusts himself to make the right play, it’ll reflect in his game and he’s going to be a very good player. When he makes his leap, they’re going to have to give him minutes.

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You can see that Langford hasn't got a complete handle of the offensive system. Often you see other players telling him where to go and when to rotate. Last night there was a spot where Jaylen, who was off ball, had to tell both Romeo and Payton where to be on the possession. A lack of practice time is seriously hurting guys like Romeo, Aaron and Payton. I can't help but think in a normal season, they all might be ahead of where they are if they were practicing 1-3 times a week.

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »

Kiorrik

You can see that Langford hasn't got a complete handle of the offensive system. Often you see other players telling him where to go and when to rotate. Last night there was a spot where Jaylen, who was off ball, had to tell both Romeo and Payton where to be on the possession. A lack of practice time is seriously hurting guys like Romeo, Aaron and Payton. I can't help but think in a normal season, they all might be ahead of where they are if they were practicing 1-3 times a week.

Yeah - I figure this COVID thing has hit mostly the young guns of the league - in general.

All the vets already know what to do where, instinctively.

Our squad's so fresh, so young. Must be hard!

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2021, 10:58:36 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I missed last night's game so I'm curious to hear from someone who watched about Langford's game.

Langford gets the start and plays almost 32 minutes. He goes 1-4 and has only 2 points but finishes +7. Stevens seems to trust him. How did he look out there?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I missed last night's game so I'm curious to hear from someone who watched about Langford's game.

Langford gets the start and plays almost 32 minutes. He goes 1-4 and has only 2 points but finishes +7. Stevens seems to trust him. How did he look out there?

He played great D.  Missed a few open shots.  Had a fantastic put back for his only made 2.  Wasn't aggressive at all with his offense.  Tatum also missed him for a dunk in the game as well.  Romeo plays extremely good D.  He needs to be a little more aggressive like PP.  PP isn't afraid to shoot the open shot and he's gonna get his.

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Not ready to contribute on both sides of the ball.

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

He played great D.  Missed a few open shots.  Had a fantastic put back for his only made 2.  Wasn't aggressive at all with his offense. Tatum also missed him for a dunk in the game as well.  Romeo plays extremely good D.  He needs to be a little more aggressive like PP.  PP isn't afraid to shoot the open shot and he's gonna get his.

I wonder when this starts happening?

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

He played great D.  Missed a few open shots.  Had a fantastic put back for his only made 2.  Wasn't aggressive at all with his offense. Tatum also missed him for a dunk in the game as well.  Romeo plays extremely good D.  He needs to be a little more aggressive like PP.  PP isn't afraid to shoot the open shot and he's gonna get his.

I wonder when this starts happening?

Probably next year, which (knock on wood) would be his first healthy offseason/training camp as a pro.  He wasn't shy on offense in college, and it seems likely he just needs to feel out his spot in the NBA.  We might see a flash or two of it in May, but he's been on the court for all of three weeks after having not played in a game since August, so I wouldn't expect much.  He's really bought in on the defensive end, which was a questionable attribute in the pre-draft process, so that is as encouraging as anything.  (He showed good defensive potential in college, but had a tendency to take off a lot of plays.  Maybe the positive aspect of him missing so much time is a change in mindset from him to maximize his minutes on the floor.)

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I feel that Langford is playing about as well as GWill or Ojeleye at this point.  You can put him in the game and get good defense and nothing that hurts the team.  So far, he is not shooting even with the same confidence that he had at the end of last season.

I think Langford has promise.  Certainly in the Avery Bradley range.  Probably will not see it this season though.

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He played great D.  Missed a few open shots.  Had a fantastic put back for his only made 2.  Wasn't aggressive at all with his offense.  Tatum also missed him for a dunk in the game as well.  Romeo plays extremely good D.  He needs to be a little more aggressive like PP.  PP isn't afraid to shoot the open shot and he's gonna get his.

He is fantastic on the defensive side of the ball. Those who were calling him a bust were totally wrong. His potential has already surpassed somebody like Matisse Thybulle, who looks to only be a defensive player.

I agree that he should be a little more like PP. Perhaps he has seen a bit of the blow-back guys like Semi and Grant get when they try to do too much, and is just trying to not upset the flow of the offense. The thing is, he has skills - and we do want to see them - but if he starts being too aggressive to the detriment of the offense, then he will get pulled.

I think things will begin to come naturally soon enough, but that's just the life of a role player. With Fournier coming back, his offensive opportunities will be even more limited, but his defensive presence will always be welcome.