Author Topic: Could Langford be a player?  (Read 20170 times)

Re: Could Langford be a player?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I went back and read a lot of the NBA player comparisons when Romeo was coming out of college into the NBA.  There were some interesting ones to say the least, but two that caught my attention were Kelly Oubre and Harrison Barnes.  I think it will be a higher ceiling for Romeo than these two, but if these two are the floor, still not too bad!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I hope so. He seems to fit well on an NBA court when he's out there. I just wish he was able to be out there more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If he didn't have an injured hand, I wonder how much higher he would have went in the draft

I still believe he has a higher ceiling than Herro

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 07:19:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good to see comedy is alive and well despite the cancel culture.

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:27 AM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
If he didn't have an injured hand, I wonder how much higher he would have went in the draft

I agree. He just needs to get healthy.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agree. He just has to stay healthy. His instincts and his quickness and length for position are very very good. He can make plays.

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I went back and read a lot of the NBA player comparisons when Romeo was coming out of college into the NBA.  There were some interesting ones to say the least, but two that caught my attention were Kelly Oubre and Harrison Barnes.  I think it will be a higher ceiling for Romeo than these two, but if these two are the floor, still not too bad!

Those comparisons don’t make any sense. Romeo is a slasher.

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This post is a goldmine on numerous levels
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 08:48:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Romeo has the gift i always look at wingspan and good lateral pursuit.His wing span is deceptive  because he has a solid physique at a young age .It allows him to catch up and over screens and interrupts the passing lanes.
That step back three  from corner area  was beautiful example of putting in the work.The 2nd three was laser quided so couldn't judge that one  BUT  the play that forever erases any James Young comparison was his two handed vertical block against dunk contestant coming over as weakside help.
That was the special play .Tommy would have levitated on that one "this kid is going to be special" "told yah this kid could play"..TP TP
His 4 offensive boards takes toughness ,BBIQ and wingspan.   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:53:56 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 08:52:01 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
This post is a goldmine on numerous levels

Must of meant it for another thread?....idk....maybe I'm just dense

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
My gut reaction is that people are over-hyping him because they haven't seen much and he's still a mystery, but I actually think the hype is pretty well deserved. I don't think we're looking at a future all-star, but consider:

- 21 years old and already plays very sound defense, as well as how to play team defense.
- Very good physical skills, including a wingspan of 6'11".
- Has the tools to grow into a pick-and-roll ballhandler, just as Jaylen has (his handle is way better than Jaylen's at age 21).
- Has shown a good knack for spacing on offense, including cutting and re-locating.

The floor for this player is a big-bodied, solid defender in the backcourt to come off the bench and inject energy, but struggles with his jump shot. That alone is a useful player to have.

But that's the floor. What we've seen is that this player can develop into a good jump shooter, and showed in college that he can be dynamic with the ball in his hands.

Ultimately the value of Romeo to this team is going to be:
- The team becomes comfortable parting with Brown in a trade for a superstar.
- The team becomes comfortable letting Fournier go, if it can't negotiate a reasonable contract, giving it more cap flexibility in future years.
- Romeo as an attractive piece can be packaged with, say, Rob Williams in a trade for a superstar (think Al Jefferson and Gerald green for Garnett), allowing the Celtics not to have to unload its whole draft future like the Nets, Bucks, and Lakers have recently done.

So yeah, there are reasons to be optimistic and Romeo developing will help this team a lot in the present and future.

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Langford will take the leap if he stops deferring so much to Jaylen and Jayson.  Needs to be more alpha dog. It can come with time; he is several years younger, and has very low NBA court time.  He has the capability based upon his HS track record. I'm pretty encouraged by his shooting; I don't think that is what will hold him back.  I'd like to see him attack the hoop more and make plays. We have a shortage of guys like that. This team desperately needs more playmaking.

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
We’ll probably see some combo of TT, Kornet, Grant and Semi in the playoffs based on matchups

If we are playing Grant there is 99.9% chance we are losing that matchup.

In fairness, Grant was our best defender vs Bam in last season's playoffs. I'm disappointed in his development this season, but feel short stints as small ball 5, rather than back up 4, is optimal use of his skill set.  Poor man's PJ Tucker circa 3-4 years ago. Thoughts?

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I'm with you, Tr1boy.  Will be interesting to compare the two of them 5 years out.  Some of the Tyler Herro hype has burned off this season. Still solid player, but future all star talk seemed ridiculously premature.

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In fairness, Grant was our best defender vs Bam in last season's playoffs. I'm disappointed in his development this season, but feel short stints as small ball 5, rather than back up 4, is optimal use of his skill set.  Poor man's PJ Tucker circa 3-4 years ago. Thoughts?

I think I would like to buy what your smoking JK :)

Let's look at his stats:

Grant scored 3 points was a -6 and Bam scored 18 points and was +12  in game 1
Grant scored 0 points was a +9 and Bam scored 21 points and was +8  in game 2
Grant scored 5 points was a -11 and Bam scored 27 points and was +1  in game 3
Grant scored 0  points was a +/- 0 and Bam scored 20 points and was +8  in game 4
Grant scored 0 points was a -3 and Bam scored 15 points and was -13  in game 5
Grant scored 0 points was a +4 and Bam scored 32 points and was +/- 0   in game  6

What does all this mean?   Grant is completely dependent on his team mates how his +/- is as he adds almost nothing statistically during a game.   Oh, he has done well here or there but most of the time his contributions are nil.  He well small ball 5 one game last year against LA but most of the time when he plays C it's let's build a blowout for the other team.    Him being able to play the 5 is pretty much a myth.   Bam killed us and he killed Grant too.

Here is the head to head stats.

https://www.nba.com/stats/vs/#!/?PlayerID=1628389&VsPlayerID=1629684

Grant historcally is  holding him to 19 PPG  4.5 APG and 9.5 RPG  on 50% shooting.

This shows me he was not that good of a matchup even though the two have a long and storied history ( high schools and college rivals).  He is too small and does not have the athletic ability to guard BAM.  The same was true of Theis to a large extent.

We should be looking to move on, not experiment with him at the five,  it was and is a complete and utter fantasy that he can guards fives or even fours.  Your asking for the other center to go off.  He also can't rim protect or rebound enough at either position.   

He is ranked 452 with a PIE of 4 this year out of the whole league.  Player Impact Estimate aka PIE is a metric to gauge a player’s all-around contribution to the game. Almost all statistical categories in the box score are involved in the PIE formula.

PIE Formula=(PTS + FGM + FTM – FGA – FTA + Deff.REB + Off.REB/2 + AST + STL + BLK/2 – PF – TO) / (Game.PTS + Game.FGM + Game.FTM – Game.FGA – Game.FTA + Game.Deff.REB + Game.Off.REB/2 + Game.AST + Game.STL + Game.BLK/2 – Game.PF – Game.TO)

The reason we stink is we have low level talent on half our roster.   I believe if we upgrade the Grant Williams, Semi, Carsen  Edwards, Waters and Tacko Fall, Kornet and add Mo Wagner to the list it would help our depth considerably.  It's sad he is a good guy and a team mates but those are ok if they contribute to the team effort but cost you if they do not.  I use Grant as an example, be honest were you one of the folks who thought he could start?

I think fixing this would be the first step.   Danny has been ruthless in the past and cut throat but he seems to love these young guys.   One would think the GM who cold heartedly dealt Perk, PP and KG would still do what he has to do.