Author Topic: Potential Buyout Candidates  (Read 2436 times)

Potential Buyout Candidates
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Should the C’s be interested in any of these guy? I do like George Hill...

“Some players who have been rumored to be potential buyout candidates are point guard George Hill, wing Tony Snell, sharpshooter Wayne Ellington and wing Otto Porter Jr., who is a player long desired by Olshey. Big man DeMarcus Cousins was waived last month by Houston, but a source said the Blazers will not consider him.”

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/otto-porter-free-agency/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:51:14 PM by Redz »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Potential buyout candidates
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:20:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’d take any of those guys other than Snell.  I’d be surprised if some were bought out rather than traded though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I view development of Langford and Nesmith as a critical element of the most likely path to a title. They are both #14 picks, and while they've both failed to contribute much so far, there is no long term reason why one of them shouldn't evolve into a starter while the other becomes an important bench anchor. If that were to happen that would change the team's future.

Rob Williams, Pritchard, Langford and Nesmith can become what this team needs.

If we can get a high quality starter like Barnes at the deadline, that's one thing, but adding some older rotation level player who just gives us a little more right now isn't worth pushing those two back. We aren't that close, not without player development.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:52:46 PM by td450 »

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I view development of Langford and Nesmith as a critical element of the most likely path to a title. They are both #14 picks, and while they've both failed to contribute much so far, there is no long term reason why one of them shouldn't evolve into a starter while the other becomes an important bench anchor. If that were to happen that would change the team's future.

If we can get a high quality starter like Barnes at the deadline, that's one thing, but adding some older rotation level player who just gives us a little more right now isn't worth pushing those two back. We aren't that close, not without player development.

I don't think all #14 picks are created equally.  I do see Langford as a critical piece -- he was a top 5ish high school talent (5-7 on the three major ranking services) who's suffered injuries in both his lone college season and early pro career.  The major injuries were both contact-related, which means they could both just be a product of bad luck and not mean he's actually "injury-prone".  If he's able to get beyond these injuries and develop, he has a considerable ceiling that could project in 2-3 seasons be the third wheel to the Js.

Nesmith, on the other hand, was in the 60s in the same high-school class as Langford.  Good on him for using an extra half-season of college to work his way up to 14, but his draft position is also a function of the lack of quality in his draft, and perhaps an inability to get players into workout settings due to the pandemic.  His projection is much more that of a role player than a star, and even a version of him that reaches his ceiling is still likely a player you can find in free agency most years.  I wouldn't trade him for an expiring reserve (i.e. a 2021 Rodney Rogers), but I wouldn't reject out of hand any trade for much more than that.  And (getting back to the main point of the OP) I certainly wouldn't worry about burying him even further on the bench for the remainder of the season if we find someone useful in the buyout market.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:24:14 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I’d take any of those guys other than Snell.  I’d be surprised if some were bought out rather than traded though.

I’d rather have Snell over Grant Williams, Green, Edwards, Waters, or Tacko. Snell is at least a legit NBA player. good size for a 2/3 at 6’6” and he’s still only 29 years old. This year he’s shooting 56% from 3pt and 48% from the field. Career 39% from 3pt. Wouldn’t mind adding him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:24:53 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I don't think all #14 picks are created equally.  I do see Langford as a critical piece -- he was a top 5ish high school talent (5-7 on the three major ranking services) who's suffered injuries in both his lone college season and early pro career.  The major injuries were both contact-related, which means they could both just be a product of bad luck and not mean he's actually "injury-prone".  If he's able to get beyond these injuries and develop, he has a considerable ceiling that could project in 2-3 seasons be the third wheel to the Js.

Nesmith, on the other hand, was in the 60s in the same high-school class as Langford.  Good on him for using an extra half-season of college to work his way up to 14, but his draft position is also a function of the lack of quality in his draft, and perhaps an inability to get players into workout settings due to the pandemic.  His projection is much more that of a role player than a star, and even a version of him that reaches his ceiling is still likely a player you can find in free agency most years.  I wouldn't trade him for an expiring reserve (i.e. a 2021 Rodney Rogers), but I wouldn't reject out of hand any trade for much more than that.

I agree with everything you said, but projections often don't end up accurate, and we already incurred costs to get them here. Teams that do the best player development allow room for players to exceed expectations, and make sure the playing time is actually available to find out difference between projected and actual abilities of their picks.

I'd rather play Nesmith than Wayne Ellington. Ellington might be better this year, but he's no long term solution to anything, and we aren't teetering on the edge of winning a title.

Also consider that the two of them are giving the team close to zero right now. If Langford became a starter who scored 12-14 ppg and played the defense we've seen from him in spurts, and if Nesmith gave them 8-10 ppg as a quality shooter off the bench, that would change this team's fortunes considerably. That's pretty much exactly what your projections expect.

Re: Potential Buyout Candidates
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

With all due respect, Romeo has benefited Boston's Medical Professions more than the Celtics thus far. But I hope your right though.

I agree, the person should fit our timeline.  PJ Tucker is big no, old, in decline and you sign him on the buyout market not use assets to get him.

In all honesty, I think we have bigger holes in terms of the bench than we can make trades to fix.   Glaring lack of shooters.   Rob is great, Pritch is decent.   I like what I have seem from Nesmith at times, the effort is there.   I am not a big fan of Grant Williams, I don't trust Edwards or Waters or Romeo's health.

I would definitely give up Edwards, Grant and Romeo with some picks to get an asset that fits our timeline.   Trouble is who would want them.

If Ainge is smart, he puts it out that Robs hip issues have flared up until after the trade deadline so teams don't ask for him.   I would bench him and " give him some treatment"  wink.   Take him off the market for the time being and let him come back after we have made a deal.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Nesmith, on the other hand, was in the 60s in the same high-school class as Langford.  Good on him for using an extra half-season of college to work his way up to 14, but his draft position is also a function of the lack of quality in his draft, and perhaps an inability to get players into workout settings due to the pandemic.  His projection is much more that of a role player than a star, and even a version of him that reaches his ceiling is still likely a player you can find in free agency most years.  I wouldn't trade him for an expiring reserve (i.e. a 2021 Rodney Rogers), but I wouldn't reject out of hand any trade for much more than that.

I agree with everything you said, but projections often don't end up accurate, and we already incurred costs to get them here. Teams that do the best player development allow room for players to exceed expectations, and make sure the playing time is actually available to find out difference between projected and actual abilities of their picks.

I'd rather play Nesmith than Wayne Ellington. Ellington might be better this year, but he's no long term solution to anything, and we aren't teetering on the edge of winning a title.

Also consider that the two of them are giving the team close to zero right now. If Langford became a starter who scored 12-14 ppg and played the defense we've seen from him in spurts, and if Nesmith gave them 8-10 ppg as a quality shooter off the bench, that would change this team's fortunes considerably. That's pretty much exactly what your projections expect.

I guess the point is that Nesmith isn't going to get many minutes down the stretch barring injury with Smart returning.  Getting a Wayne Ellington off the buyout market or for a 2nd is only likely to push Nesmith from a bunch of DNP-CDs to not even dressing some nights.  He offers no help right now, and he's not going to be force fed minutes because that is simply not how the Celtics operate.  If he develops, it will be due to work put in on off days and the offseason, and accordingly Nesmith offers no reasons to forego someone who can help this year.

Re: Potential Buyout Candidates
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 08:15:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I tend to agree with the Bill Simmons idea that your team needs 8 guys on the roster who you trust in the playoffs. I see the Cs as currently having 6. Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Smart, Theis and then R Will and Thompson (I count them as 1 because of role redundancy). After that I think Pritchard, Langford, Semi and Grant are all realistically the 9th guy you want in the playoffs. ( they can play but are matchup dependent and not ready to be counted on).

As DA approaches the trade deadline and buyout market I think the ideal situation would be to land a player via a 2 for 1 and sign a decent buyout vet. Ex trade Thompson, Nesmith and pick (likely 3 team deal) in a package for Nance Jr and sign Porter. (start nance and move smart back to 6th man) top of the bench then becomes Smart, Porter, and R Will.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Where would you fall on Otto Porter?

He’s the type of guy who could be an important piece moving forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I’d rather have Snell over Grant Williams, Green, Edwards, Waters, or Tacko. Snell is at least a legit NBA player. good size for a 2/3 at 6’6” and he’s still only 29 years old. This year he’s shooting 56% from 3pt and 48% from the field. Career 39% from 3pt. Wouldn’t mind adding him.
Tony Snell is no longer good at defence, which makes him not ideal. He's better than all but Grant W of those you listed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)