Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46617 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I had to go back and see what I had said to be sure I am being consistent.  There was criticism that Walker is too offensive minded and doesn't get enough assists, that he won't adjust his game even when it appeared as though his game had diminished.  I had said that I felt Kemba could get 5-6 assists per game combined with more efficient scoring and that he had come right out and said that he was willing to adjust his game so that Tatum and Brown didn't have to.

I would say that Kemba is at about 90%-95% right now which is great but that last 5%-10%, if it is still there, would make a big difference.  He looks good out there, good speed up the court in particular.  Still forcing it some to finish on drives but there has been improvement there.  It is very clear to me that he is taking pressure off Tatum and Brown (neither of which are on the top of their games right now either), so in that respect, he is complementary.

I had said earlier that I see no point in trading him mid-season.  In the off season, for the right deal, who knows.

« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Kind-of bummed that I didn't respond earlier in this particular thread since it is apparently the official Kemba 'I told you so' thread.

Either way, I love seeing Kemba out there dominating and carrying the team when we have needed it. I was always confident he would round back into form and he is showing why he was an All-Star prior to this season. His fit has also been great as he gives a whole new dynamic to the offense in terms of his playmaking, ability to penetrate the defense, and of course his shooting.

« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2021, 08:51:08 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Just remember. He has not been in a practice. He will get to practice a few times before we play after the Break. Things are looking up.  Hopefully Harrison Barnes will be a Celtic March 25th.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2021, 09:23:33 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Kemba is getting closer to where he will end up for the next 1-2 years. He's made some adjustments, with less of those screeching stop and pop moves that was his bailout shot for his prime years, and his shooting is coming back. He's going to be 85-90% of what he was before. The improvement does help, and some games he will look good.

I maintain that he is a bad fit for this team. He's not a point guard that makes other players better. Brown has taken it on himself to adjust, while Kemba and Tatum just keep dribbling and firing. When Hayward was here and we had more bench scoring, his shortcomings didn't matter much, but now it does. He has gotten back more of his scoring capacity, but it's pretty clear he hasn't adjusted one iota to what this team needs.

I truly hope we can get rid of him and get something back. The team has fixed nothing, other than him shooting better, and Smart will be back soon to slow the offense even further

« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2021, 07:03:45 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm still in the "trade-Kemba-camp".

That he's playing better will help to increase his market value.
If he keeps this up he could become a positive trading asset.

Just don't see a role for Walker on this Celtics team.

« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why not? His comfort in the role of the 3rd option who can still easily put up 20 points is part of why we're on a winning streak.

I would like a more balanced guard as the starter (feel like Dejounte Murray would be a great fit) but Kemba is still pretty handy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2021, 08:03:48 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Harrison Barnes: savior of the Celtics season.

Who says that?

« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2021, 09:39:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Kemba is getting closer to where he will end up for the next 1-2 years. He's made some adjustments, with less of those screeching stop and pop moves that was his bailout shot for his prime years, and his shooting is coming back. He's going to be 85-90% of what he was before. The improvement does help, and some games he will look good.

I maintain that he is a bad fit for this team. He's not a point guard that makes other players better. Brown has taken it on himself to adjust, while Kemba and Tatum just keep dribbling and firing. When Hayward was here and we had more bench scoring, his shortcomings didn't matter much, but now it does. He has gotten back more of his scoring capacity, but it's pretty clear he hasn't adjusted one iota to what this team needs.

I truly hope we can get rid of him and get something back. The team has fixed nothing, other than him shooting better, and Smart will be back soon to slow the offense even further
Except that Smart can pass the ball.  I don’t think it’s ideal but Smart has size/D and he passes well (while Brown is also  improving his passing), and Kemba-Smart backcourt had played zero minutes this year.   

Smart (I think) won’t take long to get back close to 100% and Kemba is climbing back to near his former self.  I’m looking forward to seeing what Kemba-Smart will do. And I’ve enjoyed watching Pritchard-Kemba - too small but moving the ball.

« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2021, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

Why not? His comfort in the role of the 3rd option who can still easily put up 20 points is part of why we're on a winning streak.

I would like a more balanced guard as the starter (feel like Dejounte Murray would be a great fit) but Kemba is still pretty handy

I’m with you on this. I love Kemba as a person, so I feel a bit bad lobbying so hard to trade him. He’s just taking his time getting better before going all-out. Got a feeling he’ll be playing at a high level for the duration of his contract here.

« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

We have that more balanced guard in Smart (obviously Murray is better offensively, but guys like him don't grow on trees) imo. What we need is more wing depth so we can trot out defensively inclined lineups around Tatum/Brown and have Kemba come off the bench ala Ginobili to anchor our second unit.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2021, 12:36:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

We have that more balanced guard in Smart (obviously Murray is better offensively, but guys like him don't grow on trees) imo. What we need is more wing depth so we can trot out defensively inclined lineups around Tatum/Brown and have Kemba come off the bench ala Ginobili to anchor our second unit.
That really would be ideal. Hopefully that TPE goes to that pursuit (like Barnes or Aaron Gordon)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Should we trade kemba? Without question, considering we shouldn't have brought him in here in the 1st place as he presents the same issues IT did. Stupid move.

But the problem is no one wants kemba because of the IT similarities and now the injury.

So we are stuck with him, the best we can hope for is kemba becomes more of a PG now because everything that made him what he was is gone. He needs to reconstruct his game.

« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2021, 01:02:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Kemba continues to play well and remain healthy, I could see a few teams whom Ainge offered Kemba to last offseason to get Holliday (eg Bulls, Knicks?) suddenly getting interested in trading for him during the next off-season (but not sooner because need track record), and Ainge being amenable for the right deal.

« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2021, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kemba finally gets himself healthy to the point of playing like the Kemba that was so, so good before last year's ASG, and people are just aching to trade him?

Kemba is fitting in great next to the Jays. He isn't stealing any of their offense. He can come up big and carry the team if the Jays are having a bad game. He is the 2nd best or best playmaker on the team. Though small, he draws charges at an incredible rate and still has lightning quick hands to create turnovers.

You don't trade the dollar that is Kemba for the various two quarters and a dime packages being bandied about. Do people realize how close to a title this team is with a Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Timelord core? You add to that core. You don't start moving some of those guys for the, in many of the trade proposals I have seen.

« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2021, 09:16:04 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Kemba finally gets himself healthy to the point of playing like the Kemba that was so, so good before last year's ASG, and people are just aching to trade him?

Kemba is fitting in great next to the Jays. He isn't stealing any of their offense. He can come up big and carry the team if the Jays are having a bad game. He is the 2nd best or best playmaker on the team. Though small, he draws charges at an incredible rate and still has lightning quick hands to create turnovers.

You don't trade the dollar that is Kemba for the various two quarters and a dime packages being bandied about. Do people realize how close to a title this team is with a Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Timelord core? You add to that core. You don't start moving some of those guys for the, in many of the trade proposals I have seen.

If kemba keeps looking like this, trading him does nothing but create another hole.

right now we are missing Haywards 17ppg