Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46594 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2021, 10:25:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Serious question.... who makes the Celtics better over the next two years, Kemba Walker or Al Horford and George Hill?  Kemba and Horford have two more years on their deals after this one, George Hill is a FA after next season. Money is basically a wash in terms of dollar amount.  If they traded Kemba(plus picks) for those two they would still have the TPE(insert Barnes or Thad Young). Could totally transform the roster and would have depth at every position.

Kemba. Literally last game he hit a clutch shot that helped us win the game. He's stinking up the joint right now but he still has the clutch gene we need for late in the season. Horford's just a nice player.

I don’t recall Kemba hitting many clutch shots Since he’s been on the C’s, maybe a handful.. You’d rather have Kemba taking big shots over Jaylen and Jayson? I certainly wouldn’t.

According to nba.com he had the 2nd most clutch points for the Cs last year. Langford being there is probably an outlier given he only had 3 games recorded where he played clutch minutes.

Does last year really matter at this point?  Jaylen is clearly the second option behind Tatum now and Kemba is 3rd. Is it safe to say that Walker won’t be getting many game winning shot attempts while Jaylen and Jason are on the team?

I only picked last year because you originally mentioned that he hadn't made much clutch shots since joining the Cs, which happened to be last year.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm curious what needs to happen in order for the "Kemba's got to go!" crowd to change their tune.

Be more efficient, play better defense, pass better, grow 5".

I know you’re joking with the last comment but that was my general point.

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Didn't Kemba just say he will change his game to follow Brown and Tatum? Sounds like a good move, give him some time.

Please be specific. Did Walker, in fact, say this ? When ...... and where was it reported ?

Jay King
@ByJayKing
·
Jan 29
Kemba Walker said he doesn’t want Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown to adjust now that they’re all back on the court together. Walker said he’ll be the one to make the adjustments. He wants Tatum and Brown to stay super aggressive.

“I’ll figure it out.”

Whatever Walker's shooting struggles and the worn down knee, you have to love an attitude like that. That is a Celtic attitude.
Does this mean he would be open to being that sparkplug 6th man ? Seems a perfect role for him right now to help this team win - less minutes on his knees and more scoring opportunity with the 2nd unit. BTW, can you ever imagine Kyrie saying something like that ?

The mistake was Ainge thinking he needed another heavy-volume scorer at PG after the Cancer left. Could he and Stevens not see that the team's main scoring was from the wing position (at the time, Brown, Tatum and Hayward). If you are gonna spend all that money, use it on a playmaking PG to compliment your evolving stars and an upgrade at center to anchor the middle.

Look what Red did when it became obvious that Bird and Max were the main firepower for the team in the early 80's - he keeps Tiny, who was a great playmaker and could score plus Red acquired McHale and Parrish to beef up the post positions after Philly beat us up inside during the '80 ECF.

Hindsight is 20/20. That was less clear at the time. Jaylen averaged 13 pts that season, Hayward averaged just 11.5 and looked like a shell of himself, and Jayson had averaged 15. There was also the factor of Kemba being a great locker room presence and leader and we needed that in a max player.

It's easy to say now how we should've used that money, but everyone was pretty estatic when we got Kemba.

It was a good signing at the time, but a lot has changed since then.  if they can trade him for players that will compliment Jayson and Jaylen, it still wouldn’t have been a bad deal in the long run.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:39:13 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I'm curious what needs to happen in order for the "Kemba's got to go!" crowd to change their tune.

Obviously he's been shooting like crap recently, but as far as I can tell...we all recognize that this is a slump he's going through. And by nature of it being a slump, an All-Star talent will shoot their way out of it soon.

That is, unless you're Jeff Teague ;D

If he can get his teammates involved more like Smart has been doing that would help quite a bit. Maybe drive and pass vs drive and get stuffed underneath. That would at least offset the games where he is not shooting well, which has been most of them. I don’t expect him to play great defense, but I hope he can be a better point guard, especially with Marcus out. If his shots not falling, he just seems to be Hurting the team being on the court.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:04:02 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Maybe all Kemba needed was some reps?  :angel:

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
...go to the ASG?  luckily they already voted lol

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
He’s played really well 3 games in a row. Not ready to eat crow yet, but I’m getting there. Hopefully he keeps it up. What I’ve been most impressed with is Kemba’s passing. He’s running the offense and being a leader on the court, which this team has desperately needed since Smart has been out.

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Strange how letting a player acclimatise to NBA basketball after he comes back from a chronic injury that he's learning how to manage would result in him having an uptick in form after a couple of months :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2021, 11:25:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Strange how letting a player acclimatise to NBA basketball after he comes back from a chronic injury that he's learning how to manage would result in him having an uptick in form after a couple of months :laugh:

I’m a big Kemba fan, but after his knee didn’t heal after the shutdown last season, I was worried. 

He’s looked great the past 8 or 9 games overall.  If this is the guy we have going forward, I’ll be thrilled.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2021, 11:27:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I would still consider trading him, while his value is high.  But nothing likely happens until the offseason

He still can't play b2b

Can't be comfortable with that Knee

He is playing better.  But also smarter. He has adjusted

You don't see him jerk his knee (dribble and sudden stop).  You don't see him try difficult/body twisting layups

He has adjusted his jump shot.   

Good for him

« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I would still consider trading him, while his value is high.  But nothing likely happens until the offseason

He still can't play b2b

You don't see him jerk his knee (dribble and sudden stop).  You don't see him try difficult/body twisting layups

Good for him
A few things here....

A week or two ago we had to offload Kemba because he had no value. Now we have to trade him while his value is high? So if he has another good week or so he might be untracdeable because he is too good, right?

Kemba actually can play back to backs. They have decided not to let him so he is fresh for the playoffs. It's the same with Timelord. He CAN play 30 minutes a game, the team isn't doing it to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

What's to be uncomfortable with about Kemba's knee? Should the team be uncomfortable with Timelord's hip, with Jaylen's knee, with Smart's calf, with Tatum's Covid? Should that make Danny want to trade all them too?

He is playing better and adjusting to his role very well. Given his history, was there any doubt he wouldn't? If Kemba is anything it's a team first guy that will give you everything and consistently be excellent.

He is still driving stopping and popping. He did on several occasions last game. And his shot is the same, nothing changed. He simply has his NBA midseason legs under him now which fixed what was happening with his shot.

Kemba has arthritis. It not like he needs an immediate knee replacement or some massively invasive surgery that is going to render him a ghost of his former self. The list of all-time greats that played like all-time greats for years with arthritis is very long.

I have almost no worry that Kemba isn't going to be anything other than the player he has been for the last 5-6 years through the end of his contract. And that guy, IMO, is a great complimentary player to have play with the Jays. When all three get in a groove, this team gets very difficult to beat.

This opinion might not be popular given the general angst on the board over the start of the season, but I still think if this team can get 100% healthy and Ainge can turn the TPE into a Harrison Barnes type player, they have as good a chance of getting to the Finals as any other team in the East. Rest assured if this team gets healthy and hot, there won't be a team in the East that will want to draw Boston in those first two playoff rounds.

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2021, 12:00:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I’m a big Kemba fan, but after his knee didn’t heal after the shutdown last season, I was worried. 

He’s looked great the past 8 or 9 games overall.  If this is the guy we have going forward, I’ll be thrilled.
I did have minor concerns about him at the start of the season, but I think it was obvious that he was shaking off rust and getting used to handling a chronic injury when he started playing again. People were throwing ludicrous crap at him, eg. him being a subpar passer, his legs being gone, etc.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2021, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

He still can't play b2b

Good for him
A few things here....

A week or two ago we had to offload Kemba because he had no value. Now we have to trade him while his value is high? So if he has another good week or so he might be untracdeable because he is too good, right?

Kemba actually can play back to backs. They have decided not to let him so he is fresh for the playoffs. It's the same with Timelord. He CAN play 30 minutes a game, the team isn't doing it to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

What's to be uncomfortable with about Kemba's knee? Should the team be uncomfortable with Timelord's hip, with Jaylen's knee, with Smart's calf, with Tatum's Covid? Should that make Danny want to trade all them too?

He is playing better and adjusting to his role very well. Given his history, was there any doubt he wouldn't? If Kemba is anything it's a team first guy that will give you everything and consistently be excellent.

He is still driving stopping and popping. He did on several occasions last game. And his shot is the same, nothing changed. He simply has his NBA midseason legs under him now which fixed what was happening with his shot.

Kemba has arthritis. It not like he needs an immediate knee replacement or some massively invasive surgery that is going to render him a ghost of his former self. The list of all-time greats that played like all-time greats for years with arthritis is very long.

I have almost no worry that Kemba isn't going to be anything other than the player he has been for the last 5-6 years through the end of his contract. And that guy, IMO, is a great complimentary player to have play with the Jays. When all three get in a groove, this team gets very difficult to beat.

This opinion might not be popular given the general angst on the board over the start of the season, but I still think if this team can get 100% healthy and Ainge can turn the TPE into a Harrison Barnes type player, they have as good a chance of getting to the Finals as any other team in the East. Rest assured if this team gets healthy and hot, there won't be a team in the East that will want to draw Boston in those first two playoff rounds.
It's a bit different with Timelord imo - he's not good enough to warrant a title contender playing him 30 minutes unless they have a really thin centre rotation or there's a specific matchup.

By the way I think our team as currently constructed has a decent chance of making the finals if everyone is healthy, we're really missing Smart to give us that third elite big guard/wing defender to shore up our defence (and he's an upgrade over Semi/Nesmith/Javonte on offence).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2021, 03:07:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

He still can't play b2b

Good for him
A few things here....

This is the most important part, to me. He's willing to take a complementary role to younger players who are trying to grow. Obviously he's on a max, but it's rare to have max players that don't demand to be the showcases on their teams. He's willing to play the Ray Allen role and sacrifice his usage and his stats to try to win a chip.

« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:56 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

He still can't play b2b

Good for him

I was worried they might have to salary dump Kemba, but his play lately means they might have the ability to get something for him. Hard to see him finishing his contract with the Celtics so it's best to try to time his trade at peak value.

It's unfortunate because in a different situation we could be happy to ride through the contract. But I just don't see that happening (unless it's to the Celtics' detriment) with the current construction.