Author Topic: The Celtics Bigs...  (Read 1595 times)

The Celtics Bigs...
« on: January 16, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I think the Celtics group of big men might be one of the worst in the NBA with Thompson, Theis, G. Williams and R. Williams. All are undersized at 6’8” or shorter and the only player that seems to have any upside upside is R. Williams. Theis is averaging 7ppg and 5rpg, while shooting 23% from 3pt and 33% from the FT line in 23mpg. Thompson is averaging 8ppg and 8rpg in 23mpg, with no offensive game to speak of. I also feel like his defense is overrated. Boston could have had Christian Wood for $13M/year(averaging 23ppg, 10rpg, 2blk in 33 min), but instead the C’s are paying Thompson $9M+ this year and next for very average production.

Charlotte and Brooklyn(now that they traded away Allen) are certainly in the conversation for worst bigs in the league as well. But that’s about it...

C’s seem to have plenty of depth at the guard position with Brown, Walker, Smart, Teague, Pritchard) and SF with Tatum, Semi, Langford, Brown, Smart) but are very mediocre at PF/C. I feel like they need to address this before the trade deadline.

In the postseason, Celtics will have to matchup with players such as Brook Lopez, Joel Embiid, Damontas Sabonis, Myles Turner, DeAndre Jordan, etc. So far this year, the C’s bigs have really struggled against them.

With that being said, can someone explain how this won’t be huge area of concern come playoff time?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:09:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: The Celtics Bigs...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Statistically our team was one of the best at the center position last season, and we should be better with the addition of Thompson, the subtraction of Kanter and the improvement of R Williams.  While our centers are shorter than average, they have length (R Williams has one of the longest wingspans in the NBA at 7'6"), are pretty switchable, and play within their roles.

Our offense is designed around its wings with the centers being complementary. We could use a big who was more effective from 3 to create better spacing.  Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with our center position.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:09:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Brad doesn’t like BIG!

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree with footey.  I think we’re fine at center.

The deficit is power forward.  That hole can easily be filled by sliding JT over there.

Ideally, we get Kemba back, add somebody at the 2/3/4, and move Marcus to the bench.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Statistically our team was one of the best at the center position last season, and we should be better with the addition of Thompson, the subtraction of Kanter and the improvement of R Williams.  While our centers are shorter than average, they have length (R Williams has one of the longest wingspans in the NBA at 7'6"), are pretty switchable, and play within their roles.

Our offense is designed around its wings with the centers being complementary. We could use a big who was more effective from 3 to create better spacing.  Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with our center position.

I’m not sure what the statistics were for last year, but this year Theis is much worse and Thompson hasn’t been great either. R.Williams doesn’t get much playing time and even if he did, he’s not going to matchup well against the bigs mentioned above. I’m not really worried about the offense, but being able to defend under the basket and rebound against teams with size is definitely a concern.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thompson is only making a bit over $9 million a year, not $14 million a year. Not sure where you got that.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Thompson is only making a bit over $9 million a year, not $14 million a year. Not sure where you got that.

Good call, I will edit. Must have misread. Also, thank god... Still an overpay, IMO.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 02:58:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Thompson is an elite rebounder and smart defender. Theis has been playing out of position most of the year but is an excellent defender himself. Williams hasn't made the strides I'd hoped for by now but the energy and skillset he brings every time he's on the floor has a big impact.

I don't have a problem with this rotation of centers at all, given the rest of the roster.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well the C's seem to have a quantity over quality thing going right now with their bigs (especially if Tacko can play 8 mins a night). Just throw 5 guys at what ever good big the other team has, hacking and banging till they wear their star big down. It's not a bad approach so long as one or two have a decent showing on a given night. I'd like an upgrade in someone like John Collins or Vucevic to be added but that isn't likely so keep rolling guys in and out.