Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108605 times)

Re: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]
« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2019, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
terrible just terrible

the good

Tatum would have made a difference

the bad

Smart, Brown keep showing lack of ability to come through in tough situations against good teams

Haven't seen enough of Walker to make this judgement (but he wasn't good vs France). He doesn't have favorable stats to be considered a very good 4th quarter player

Would have been a big boost for the Celtics players to come home with a gold medal

Just look at what Smart and Brown did in Game 7 of the 2018 east finals.

Smart went 1-10 and Brown went 5-18 in FGs.

Just look at the many games Smart and Brown have won for us in close minutes. For example, Brown single-handedly shifted the game against Greece in USA's favor.

Also, Brown led us to multiple wins in the 2018 playoffs. Does one bad game cancel all of those great games? Smart is well-known as a playmaker who makes winning plays.

Clearly both guys struggled at the end, but so did Mitchell and Walker and Middleton and Barnes. Should we consign all of them to "not winning basketball players."

Sheesh, these negative narratives are a bit much.

It's not being negative.

I'm not saying Brown is bad or he's not a good player.
What I keep repeating that many here don't get is I don't see Brown as a superstar.
According to reports, if you don't believe me, Jaylen is a complementary player, not a star player.

So why is that a big deal to me?

Because I think the Celts are better off packaging Smart and Brown for a player like Bradley Beal.
The fit would be horrible lol. I'd rather we use that type of package for a guy like KAT.

I totally agree with you about KAT.

But the Wolves would just laugh at that offer.

I mean come on, KAT is a generational player like Anthony Davis.

You can always find guys like Smart and Brown in the top 10 of the lottery every year.

« Reply #676 on: September 11, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Team USA's problem was lack of quality big men. We need AD and Drummond on the Olympics squad, not gus like Plumlee and Lopez.

Unfortunately many of the current top big men in the NBA are foreign players.

« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
terrible just terrible

the good

the bad

Smart, Brown keep showing lack of ability to come through in tough situations against good teams

Haven't seen enough of Walker to make this judgement (but he wasn't good vs France). He doesn't have favorable stats to be considered a very good 4th quarter player

Would have been a big boost for the Celtics players to come home with a gold medal

Just look at the many games Smart and Brown have won for us in close minutes. For example, Brown single-handedly shifted the game against Greece in USA's favor.

Also, Brown led us to multiple wins in the 2018 playoffs. Does one bad game cancel all of those great games? Smart is well-known as a playmaker who makes winning plays.

Clearly both guys struggled at the end, but so did Mitchell and Walker and Middleton and Barnes. Should we consign all of them to "not winning basketball players."

It's not being negative.

What I keep repeating that many here don't get is I don't see Brown as a superstar.
According to reports, if you don't believe me, Jaylen is a complementary player, not a star player.

Because I think the Celts are better off packaging Smart and Brown for a player like Bradley Beal.
The fit would be horrible lol. I'd rather we use that type of package for a guy like KAT.

You can always find guys like Smart and Brown in the top 10 of the lottery every year.
Come on it's not like the Pelicans got a generational talent in return for AD.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #678 on: September 11, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Team USA's problem was lack of quality big men. We need AD and Drummond on the Olympics squad, not gus like Plumlee and Lopez.

Unfortunately many of the current top big men in the NBA are foreign players.
I mean a guy like Dedmon would be infinitely better than Lopez and Plumlee.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2019, 12:24:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lopez looking so bad just reminds you that the Bucks were really a perfect fit for him to shine last season.

« Reply #680 on: September 11, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
terrible just terrible

the good

the bad

It's not being negative.

Come on it's not like the Pelicans got a generational talent in return for AD.

When you're trading a generational talent, there's no way you get equal value.

But getting 7 potential 1st rounders for AD is the closest thing to getting equal value.

« Reply #681 on: September 11, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Argentina v France

Australia v Spain

Thoughts, predictions?

We owe Spain one for the Rio Olympics...
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #682 on: September 11, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Argentina v France

Australia v Spain

Thoughts, predictions?

We owe Spain one for the Rio Olympics...

I expect Spain vs. France in the finals, with a win for Spain, but I’m rooting for Scola and Argentina.

FIBA world cup
« Reply #683 on: September 11, 2019, 08:08:39 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Why did the three USA big men only play 16 minutes of the 40 in the game, meanwhile Gobert killed them. I didn't see it. But could they have been worse than letting joe Harris guard Gobert?  Seems weird to me.

Re: FIBA world cup
« Reply #684 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why did the three USA big men only play 16 minutes of the 40 in the game, meanwhile Gobert killed them. I didn't see it. But could they have been worse than letting joe Harris guard Gobert?  Seems weird to me.

Turner got into foul trouble which limited him.  I’m not sure about Plumlee and Lopez.  If you weren’t going to use them in this game, you shouldn’t have brought them at all.

Re: FIBA world cup
« Reply #685 on: September 11, 2019, 09:21:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Turner got into foul trouble which limited him.  I’m not sure about Plumlee and Lopez.  If you weren’t going to use them in this game, you shouldn’t have brought them at all.

Turner got in foul trouble early, but in the 4th qtr., Turner still only had 3 fouls.

It's Pop that wanted to finish the game using small ball.

Going small worked early in the 4th as USA was able to lead by 7 points with 7 minutes remaining.
But in crunch time, France's guards started attacking the basket because USA had no rim protection.

Pop should have put Turner back in when USA still had the lead for rim protection.

« Reply #686 on: September 12, 2019, 05:27:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It will be interesting to see if USA can beat Serbia today.
Serbia has incentive to win. If I am right they need to be 5th in order to secure the Olympics.

Funny, since 4 days ago we thought this would be WC finals.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #687 on: September 12, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Sounds like he was auditioning for our coaching job or channeling Brad Stevens to me.   Small ball is a gimmick and some times it can change the pace of games and give you a boost but when it is relied on as the sole method it exposes a team and can be exploited by the opposition.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:52:36 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #688 on: September 12, 2019, 08:26:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Sounds like he was auditioning for our coaching job or channeling Brad Stevens to me.   Small ball is a gimmick and some times it can change the pace of games and give you a boost but when it is relied on as the sole method it exposes a team and can be exploited by the opposition.
The latter sounds more reasonable, Pop iirc is a huge fan of Stevens' coaching. This sucks because if Pop played the style of play he started with at the beginning of the Spurs dynasty, the US would've probably won.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #689 on: September 12, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
It will be interesting to see if USA can beat Serbia today.
Serbia has incentive to win. If I am right they need to be 5th in order to secure the Olympics.

Funny, since 4 days ago we thought this would be WC finals.

No, there is only spots two for european teams. They have to pass by the qualifying tournament (which is not agood thing because it disturb the preparation for Olympics (France lost a lot of energy 4 years ago to win this tournament)