Author Topic: Ricky Davis Signs with the Red Claws  (Read 11030 times)

Ricky Davis Signs with the Red Claws
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'm sorry if this has been posted already. Here's the story:

One year after old friend Antoine Walker gave the D-League a whirl in hopes of resuscitating his NBA career, former Celtics swingman Ricky Davis has signed on with the Maine Red Claws. From the team:

Davis, 32, has played in 736 NBA games in a career that began in 1999 as the first round selection (21st overall) of the Charlotte Bobcats. His 12-year NBA career saw him play for six NBA teams, including three seasons with the Boston Celtics. The Celtics traded the high-scoring swingman on January 26, 2006 to the Minnesota Timberwolves along with Marcus Banks, Mark Blount, Justin Reed, a 2006 second-round draft pick (Craig Smith) and a 2008 second-round draft pick (Nikola Pekovic) for Dwayne Jones, Michael Olowokandi, Wally Szczerbiak and a 2009 first-round draft pick (Jonny Flynn). He scored a career-high 20.6 ppg in 2002-03 as a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Davis last played in the NBA for the Los Angeles Clippers during the 2009-10 and has spent the last season and a half playing abroad in France, Turkey and China. Once considered a one-dimensional yet prolific player, Davis has developed into a formidable rebounder and steady mid-range jump shooter over the years.

“Ricky Davis brings a veteran element to the Red Claws and will undoubtedly become an instant fan favorite at the Portland Expo where many of our fans will remember him from his days with the Celtics,” said Red Claws president and general manager Jon Jennings. “Ricky is someone who knows what it takes to get to and stay in the NBA and is someone who is hungry to return there. We are all excited to welcome him to Maine.”

Davis is expected to join the team in Canton, Ohio where they will face the Canton Charge [Thursday] night in the second game on a two-game set. He will make his Maine debut this weekend as the Red Claws host the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Saturday, Dec. 31 at 1 p.m. and Sunday, Jan. 1 at 5 p.m.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4687728/ricky-davis-joins-red-claws

Re: Ricky Davis Signs with the Red Claws
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
He is still a free agent, however, and not property of the Celtics, correct? It will be interesting to see how he does, given he is only 32. I loved Ricky when he was here.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Being only 32 I think he's going to light up that league, although I'm not sure how he did in Europe

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
He is still a free agent, however, and not property of the Celtics, correct? It will be interesting to see how he does, given he is only 32. I loved Ricky when he was here.

Correct. He has no ties to the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Here's a story I certainly didn't anticipate.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:13 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.  He certainly can score, and that could be useful off the bench. 

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
with Jamaal Tinsley as the Number 1 pick, and now Ricky Davis signing, it's nice to see this league developing young players.  They should change the D to an M - for minor. 

It's a minor league, not a development league, when it signs 30+ year old ex-NBA players.  National Basketball Minor League. 

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
with Jamaal Tinsley as the Number 1 pick, and now Ricky Davis signing, it's nice to see this league developing young players.  They should change the D to an M - for minor. 

It's a minor league, not a development league, when it signs 30+ year old ex-NBA players.  National Basketball Minor League. 

Absolutely true but I guess Developmental league sounds better. Better for self esteem of young players to tell them "hey you need to develop more so we're sending you to d-league to get your game together" as opposed to "hey you have to go down to the Minor league, You game isn't there yet".
Having said all that. Ricky Davis would be an improvement to Pavlovic. Just saying. I wouldn't be too upset to see RD back in green.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Whoever thinks that Ricky Davis is any sort of upgrade over Sasha Pavlovic probably hasn't really paid attention to him after he left the Celtics.  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Whoever thinks that Ricky Davis is any sort of upgrade over Sasha Pavlovic probably hasn't really paid attention to him after he left the Celtics.  ;D

What happened to him? Injury?

His numbers fell off of a cliff when he went to LA a couple of years ago.

He was very productive until then.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

I can keep my name!! ;D

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The D league signing veteran players is better for the development of the young guys. Experience is always valuable around young growing players.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
gotta say if i could pick a veteran to help along my young players ricky davis' name wouldn't be on the list (or sublist)
I'd rather von wafer back then davis

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »

Offline britches

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Being only 32 I think he's going to light up that league, although I'm not sure how he did in Europe

Living here in Maine, I have been trying to follow how He's doing since he's signed here.  On the radio, he a completely different person.  Totally humble.  In games, the impact isn't quite there yet.  I went to Saturday's game and watched Sunday's game on Futurecast.  There are flashes of the old Ricky and his explosiveness, but it it definitely not there consistently.  He is trying to teach and is very vocal, but I think it may come off pretty strong and with an attitude at times.

I am hoping that he does well, the Claws really need someone like that this year.  

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Ricky has played abroad for the past 3 seasons.  He had chronic pain in his knees until recently.
I saw him in two games recently.  He was defensive oriented, had explosive quickness and worked to be the communicator on the court.  He was like a veteran, a leader and a facilitator. He was a bit rusty on his offense.  On one occasion he missed a reverse alley oop, but hung over the rim before he clanked it.

Signing Ricky allows Portland to improve attendence.
However, it also allows for a thorough evaluation.

No "Get Buckets" on his wristbands. 
Short hair cut.
No wristbands.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-