Author Topic: Red Sox 2010  (Read 71621 times)

Re: Red Sox 2010
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Didn't understand the Beckett extension at the time, understand it less now.  The guy's been pretty bad for over 2 years now.
Yeah, I think that extension was a case of reputation and ego over production.

But what was the alternative move?

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Didn't understand the Beckett extension at the time, understand it less now.  The guy's been pretty bad for over 2 years now.
Yeah, I think that extension was a case of reputation and ego over production.

But what was the alternative move?

I guess it was the length and amount that bugged me.  Mostly the length because I'm not paying the tab.

The alternative would have been letting him walk.  Someone would have given him what the Sox did or more.
Yup

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think Beckett will be fine next year.  In baseball, it's not uncommon to see pitchers fluctuate (though usually not this much). 

This whole season just sucks with our luck.  They've just been devastated by injuries.  If they had the full squad, they'd likely be in first place right now and on the way to another World Series win. 

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Beckett will be fine next year.  In baseball, it's not uncommon to see pitchers fluctuate (though usually not this much). 

This whole season just sucks with our luck.  They've just been devastated by injuries.  If they had the full squad, they'd likely be in first place right now and on the way to another World Series win. 

I'm not sure he'll be better next year, but I hope so.  Remember, he only had one great year in a Sox uniform in 2007, so not sure why people think he's an ace or that he should be back to ace form.  He's not an ace.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Anybody else watching this?  Buch has had to work a little harder the last couple of innings but he's still going strong.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
My main (Red Sox) man, Dustin Pedroia, is done for the season. What next?
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Next years lineup starters:

C. Victor Martinez (Needs to be signed)
1B. Kevin Youkilis
2B. Dustin Pedroia
SS. Marco Scutaro (excited for Jose Iglesias to move this guy out of town though)
3B. Adrian Beltre (needs to be signed)
LF.  Jacoby Ellsbury (huge question mark going forward, i don’t know how to feel about Jacoby)
CF. Mike Cameron (like Scutaro, Mike is just holding the fort until our prospects are ready)
RF. JD Drew (eh)

P. Jon Lester
P. Clay Bucholtz
P. John Lackey
P. Josh Beckett (bad signing IMO)
P. Daisuke Matsuzaka

CP. Jonathan Papelbon (strange that the best closer in franchise history is expendable)

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team is cooked.  Might as well focus on football season.

The Boy Wonder and the rest of the front office needs to bounce back this coming off-season.  You can point to injuries but there were quite a few other factors that contributed to this underperforming season (some that a few of us predicted before the season started).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
It sucks.  Since we're talking about an "on paper" team in another thread, with these Red Sox "on paper" they might be the best team in baseball.  But these injuries absolutely killed them. 

They'd still be in first place in a couple other division, and let's be honest, if they actually played in any other division (and didn't have to play the Yankees and Rays for 40 of their 162 games) they'd probably be in first place DESPITE having the worst injury hit in baseball. 

Healthy, they'd probably be in first place in the AL East. 

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This has been an odd year.  I was very critical of Theo's off-season, because I figured that we wouldn't be able to score enough to compete with other teams.  Instead, the Red Sox offense has excelled, even without Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc.; the Red Sox are second in MLB in runs scored.

Instead, it's been the defense and pitching (20th in runs allowed) that has let the team down.  If Beckett, Lackey, and Papelbon had pitched well, the Sox would still be in the playoff hunt.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2010, 11:01:55 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
This has been an odd year.  I was very critical of Theo's off-season, because I figured that we wouldn't be able to score enough to compete with other teams.  Instead, the Red Sox offense has excelled, even without Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc.; the Red Sox are second in MLB in runs scored.

Instead, it's been the defense and pitching (20th in runs allowed) that has let the team down.  If Beckett, Lackey, and Papelbon had pitched well, the Sox would still be in the playoff hunt.

But despite all the flaws, had they even had half the injuries they had (which would still be a lot) they'd be in the hunt still. 

« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Unfortunately this was one of those years where injuries and just variance in player performance made the Sox the third best team in a tough division.

« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Just lost all patience with the Red Sox this year...

Pap blew it again! What happened to him he used to be a beast but now I don't know. Thoughts?
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Pap blew it again! What happened to him he used to be a beast but now I don't know. Thoughts?

Yeah ... I'm at a loss as to Pap ... he's lost that intimidation factor ... he was such a monster, and consistently one of those players you could count on to dominate, now I cross my fingers whenever he comes in. I hope it's temporary, cuz he's young enough to still have a great extended career. I think he'll get beyond it, but with pitchers it's such an elusive thing. Here's hoping.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Yeah ... I'm at a loss as to Pap ... he's lost that intimidation factor ... he was such a monster, and consistently one of those players you could count on to dominate, now I cross my fingers whenever he comes in. I hope it's temporary, cuz he's young enough to still have a great extended career. I think he'll get beyond it, but with pitchers it's such an elusive thing. Here's hoping.

I hope they don't offer him arbitration! Is this an option? They can do a lot better for ten million dollars and they have enough crap money locked up in Drew and Cameron next year...