Author Topic: Chad Ford Big Board 1.0  (Read 6016 times)

Re: Chad Ford Big Board 1.0
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:12:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Anybody have access to ESPN +??

Who have Givony picked for the Celtics? (recent mock)

His most recent Mock is from 4/9 he and Schmitz have the Cs taking

#15 Vassell, but they say Bolmaro would be a better fit. The then have Bolmaro going #22 to denver

#26 Stewart

#30 J Smith, but they say best fit would be Cassius Winston

I'm reading it as the first pick is what Intel is telling them and the "best fit" is who they personally think the Cs should take.

With Ford back in the draft the Intel side of this will be interesting to watch play out.

Some notable differences between Ford's big board and ESPN guys top 100 list

Desmond Bane      Ford #30 ESPN #44

Paul Reed    Ford #16 ESPN #52

Elijah Hughes      Ford #27 ESPN #41

Nico Mannion      Ford (out of top 30) ESPN #19

Devin Vassell      Ford #8 ESPN #16

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
One of the struggles I have is that I see picks like Stewart, Smith, and the Duke big as wasted picks. I willingly admit that I might be biased here. But are any of them better than Thomas Bryant? I doubt it, and Thomas Bryant can't be playing big minutes if you are a serious contender. He's worse than Enes Kanter on defense.

I just don't understand the idea of a contending team selecting a player that at best most scouts would say has a 5% chance to stay on the court in big games due to their style, even if you are fairly confident they will be in the league for 8 years. Those guys might be NBA players, but they look more like journeymen that put up stats on bad teams.

I think it'd always be better to select a player who might have the upside of being able to stay on the court in big games (3-D player, switchy defender, shooter, shot creator, etc.) even if his floor is playing overseas.

But then again, there is another part of the equation where you might draft a guy and showcase him a little bit to be part of a trade package to a team that has a star but wants to bottom out. Those teams need guys who can put up numbers during a rebuild.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:33:09 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Anybody have access to ESPN +??

Who have Givony picked for the Celtics? (recent mock)

His most recent Mock is from 4/9 he and Schmitz have the Cs taking

#15 Vassell, but they say Bolmaro would be a better fit. The then have Bolmaro going #22 to denver

#26 Stewart

#30 J Smith, but they say best fit would be Cassius Winston

I'm reading it as the first pick is what Intel is telling them and the "best fit" is who they personally think the Cs should take.

With Ford back in the draft the Intel side of this will be interesting to watch play out.

Some notable differences between Ford's big board and ESPN guys top 100 list

Desmond Bane      Ford #30 ESPN #44

Paul Reed    Ford #16 ESPN #52

Elijah Hughes      Ford #27 ESPN #41

Nico Mannion      Ford (out of top 30) ESPN #19

Devin Vassell      Ford #8 ESPN #16

The ESPN #'s are quite old, as you point out. Expect shifts from them in their next Mock.  Their new big board already has made some adjustments. No way Vassel lasts to 16.  Highly unlikely Mannion goes top 20.  Paul Reed will go much higher than 52, although don't know that he would go as high as 16, Chad maybe mixing in some personal bias there. (maybe Goukiss88 is really Chad Ford LOL).

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
One of the struggles I have is that I see picks like Stewart, Smith, and the Duke big as wasted picks. I willingly admit that I might be biased here. But are any of them better than Thomas Bryant? I doubt it, and Thomas Bryant can't be playing big minutes if you are a serious contender. He's worse than Enes Kanter on defense.

I just don't understand the idea of a contending team selecting a player that at best most scouts would say has a 5% chance to stay on the court in big games due to their style, even if you are fairly confident they will be in the league for 8 years. Those guys might be NBA players, but they look more like journeymen that put up stats on bad teams.

I think it'd always be better to select a player who might have the upside of being able to stay on the court in big games (3-D player, switchy defender, shooter, shot creator, etc.) even if his floor is playing overseas.

But then again, there is another part of the equation where you might draft a guy and showcase him a little bit to be part of a trade package to a team that has a star but wants to bottom out. Those teams need guys who can put up numbers during a rebuild.

I tend to agree with that idea,

There are two positions in the NBA that are very easy to replace and are hard to justify the asset cost of using a 1st round pick on. Those positions are pure backup PG (PGs who do not have size to double as small wings) and non all-star ceiling bigs.

For point guards you have to look no further then the Celtics roster in recent years. DA has pulled Larkin and Wanamaker our to Europe and BS has gotten solid production from them. This past draft Water was taken in the later second and looks like a contributor for next year. This is why I struggle with the idea of Dotson, Winston, Jones or to a lesser extent Mannion as first rd picks. It’s really easy to replace their production at a low cost. In this very draft I see Payton Prichard mocked in the 40s and I’m confident he could give an NBA 10/15 solid minutes next season.

Bigs are not as easy to replace as PGs but they still are relatively replaceable. Small ball has killed the playoff value of all but the elite centers. Bigs now need to either be multiple elite skill Allstar’s or have clear roles they fill. Looking at this draft Nnaji and Smith May make it as shooters and Stewart or Carey may make it as Kanter style bench bigs but the upside is limited. Tillman is projected in the 2nd round and will fill a clear role as a smart defender who can pass and player over all intelligent basketball. Azubuike is another 2nd rd guy who could thrive in a Kanter style role off the bench at a low cost.   

The funny thing is where a big like Smith or Stewart might be an over pay in the 20s the players who fall into the 2nd become value picks. It isn’t a stretch to see a Celtics style rotation of Tillman, Smith/Nnaji and Azubuike being a viable nba rotation.

Over all teams are better off rolling the dice on on bigger multi positional guards, wings and swing men. Those are the players who change typically exceed their projected ceiling at the draft and become steals.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:48:20 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet