34 (47.2%)
C+ / C / C-
16 (22.2%)
D+ / D / D-
5 (6.9%)
F
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade  (Read 5930 times)

Re: Poll: Give our offseason a letter grade
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »

Offline Ty_Unabi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
B

Kemba>Kyrie( Yes I said it)
Carson Edwards = Trae Young/Vinnie Johnson
Kanter is a good player. I believe he plays good D.  Can't judge him by New York.
Grant Williams is impressive.

Other note.
Semi get more time = Good 3 and D.
Hayward will be great.  He will make Kemba Better instead the other way around.
Time Lord will be a good off the bench defensive player eventually.
The Jay's Will Bet better.

I only consider the Big Loss as Al Horford.  That will just force the Celtics to Play different and use their strengths in a different way. 

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »

Offline chapter11

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
D+
lets be real about this. it was nice to rid the locker room cancer, but c's really didn't need ANY of those draft picks. especially when we see other major market teams take yuuuge strides toward legit contenders. they made the c's appear to have taken two steps back. 

what hurts: losing big al's IQ, losing mooks steady veteran presence and losing terry rozier. what did danny bring in?

EDITED: I suggest reading site rules. Your sexist comment is not allowed here.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=10.0

me: without trading marcus smart i really felt danny was attempting to find an angle to financially engineer a trade for sabonis, capella, or turner. none of that looks promising.

imo right now this team's dissolving into a joke. danny's in love with his draft picks, hayward and the glut of player duplication at sg/sf. boggles my mind how he did nothing at last years trade deadline and nothing this offseason. hey there's no time like right now to make moves.

for the record i xoxo kemba's game, it should transition very well to the current players. however c's need a starting pf and c, ones that can stretch the floor i.e. big al/mook. without those pieces i'm nervous about getting embarrassed by other weak EC teams. we really have taken a step back.

ps thank gawd danny saw the light with yabs
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:23:00 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Overall, I give it a 'B'

That said, while it started off as a 'D' as Horford also was reportedly leaving, I think Danny did a phenomenal job afterwards.

AD didn't want to come here apparently and went to LAL. Kyrie was inevitably leaving, and then Horford was too. It all could have ended a disaster and with us in a pure rebuild.

Instead, we got rid of some more guys like Rozier, opened up enough cap space for Kemba, acquired Kanter and others and also drafted some great players at the spots we did. And added some more excitement by adding Tacko Fall later on  :laugh:

Wasn't our ideal off-season, but I think Danny deserves an 'A' for what he did after the initial dominoes fell (Kyrie, AD and Horford not coming here and/or just walking in FA).

That's how I look at it.

Also, I think Hayward, Brown and Tatum will get a lot more opportunities going forward as there isn't a big logjam anywhere
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2019, 11:11:41 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I give it an A

Feels like we have finally made a choice and are riding with the Jay's (however we got here is whatever at this point)

Kemba said he came to Boston due in part to Jayson Tatum (Said He Talked him into it) - This works for me

Also loves Brown...  This also works for me

He also said he wants to Get Hayward going (icing on the cake)

Al was cool but his time here was done - Older, Costly and obviously did not want to be here any longer.

Scary Terry had moments but I think we will get alot more out of Edwards.  (Shooters shoot)

Dimelord looks improved (not all the way ready just yet but definitely improved)

Grant Williams is a steal...

Tacko is intriguing (can't teach 7'6) - Fun project that if he pans out can be a real game changer.. IF not.. What cares.. We watched Yabu be nothing but a cheerleader for years.

Feels like we have our scrappy junkyard team back...  After last year how in the heck can we not love this...

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:11 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Kemba Walker I'm not as excited about as everyone seems to be. I'm just not crazy about volume shooting point guards, especially one that was #4 in the league in 3 point attempts last year and shot 35%, worse than Marcus Smart (if you thought we jacked up a lot of threes last year just wait...). I'm hoping he meshes well and sacrifices his stats here playing in the C's system, we shall see how it all works out.

Yeah, I expect Kemba to impede the development of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown -- because Kemba is too ball-dominant and too shot happy. Less overall opportunities for our young wings to grow. Hayward will want his touches too. There are just not enough opportunities on offense to go around.

So with Kemba signing, I believe it is time for Ainge to move away from a future built around Tatum-Jaylen and to trade one or both of those guys in an effort to build a better configured team. A team that has proper balance which this group does not. A team with less redundancy and more complementary skill-sets amongst it's stars.

I’m not so sure Walker will impede their development.  Part of the problem last year is you also had mostly black holes Morris and Rozier also fighting for shots.  Now with both gone that should free up extra shots.  I can also see Hayward taking more of Horford’s role running the offense through him since he is a very good playmaker, and setting up others.

Walker had to be ball dominant with Charlotte as they didn’t have much else, but I also read somewhere he played better than Irving in off the ball catch and shoot situations. 

Maybe you will end up being right, but I’d like to see how this plays out during the season before any drastic changes are made. 

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2019, 01:57:02 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
D+
lets be real about this. it was nice to rid the locker room cancer, but c's really didn't need ANY of those draft picks. especially when we see other major market teams take yuuuge strides toward legit contenders. they made the c's appear to have taken two steps back. 

what hurts: losing big al's IQ, losing mooks steady veteran presence and losing terry rozier. what did danny bring in?

me: without trading marcus smart i really felt danny was attempting to find an angle to financially engineer a trade for sabonis, capella, or turner. none of that looks promising.

imo right now this team's dissolving into a joke. danny's in love with his draft picks, hayward and the glut of player duplication at sg/sf. boggles my mind how he did nothing at last years trade deadline and nothing this offseason. hey there's no time like right now to make moves.

for the record i xoxo kemba's game, it should transition very well to the current players. however c's need a starting pf and c, ones that can stretch the floor i.e. big al/mook. without those pieces i'm nervous about getting embarrassed by other weak EC teams. we really have taken a step back.

Yeah, this guy is getting a ban

This is pretty unnecessary...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:28:18 AM by gouki88 »

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:20 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
D+

Yeah, this guy is getting a ban

This is pretty unnecessary...

Eh, don't matter. He's banned regardless
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:28:55 AM by gouki88 »

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)