Author Topic: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay  (Read 25896 times)

Re: Rumor: Memphis shopping Rudy gay
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've yet to hear the rationale for trading Rudy Gay.  Can someone please explain what the reasoning is?  For the life of me I can't understand why they are shopping him.  I don't follow the Grizz closely but isn't he a top 2 talent on that team?  How does this possibly help their chances?  As a small market team you can't afford to throw title opportunities out the window.  You have to milk them as long as possible because they may never return.  Hollinger might be playing his "computer games" here but ball is played on the court, and Rudy Gay can ball.

Remember when Danny signed Scal because he had the same brain type as a Michael Jordan and Larry Bird?  I think advanced stats have a place in the game, but they're not the whole story.

For financial reasons, but I don't think he'll be traded just for the sake of being traded, I don't think Memphis is in any hurry, and they'd be just as happy by staying pat for the time being. But if there's someone out there with cheaper contracts who can provide something that resembles equal value, then they'll go for it.

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I knew 2 years ago , like OKC ,they had way too many "EXPENSIVE" players they were going to command hi salaries.   Thats fine if your the Lakers and can afford pay the price for spending too much money.

Too many Hi quality players that are now deveopled and starting quality are being under paid .... equals having to dump some .

Once the players are off their rookie salaries , and you gotta payem to stay ..like OKC ..you gotta make choices.

These teams that are "NEW" get all the good young draft picks , then they also have to pay them eventually or dump them .

IMO they aren't going to be able to keep all these guys and match salaries... like ASIK, LEE, HILBERT , when the contract time comes up they are toast.  Great young players bring TONS of money.

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Add the Washington Wizards to the list of teams that are in the mix for the services of Grizzlies small forward Rudy Gay, according to a league source. Not clear on what the Wizards' offer might be but was told it was "a good one."

- Ric Bucher
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Add the Washington Wizards to the list of teams that are in the mix for the services of Grizzlies small forward Rudy Gay, according to a league source. Not clear on what the Wizards' offer might be but was told it was "a good one."

- Ric Bucher

Bradley Beal + Trevor Ariza + cap filler

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Memphis kill their playoffs run
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

- Ric Bucher

That was about my first thought, but man that'd be giving up on a 3rd pick pretty quick.

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

- Ric Bucher

That was about my first thought, but man that'd be giving up on a 3rd pick pretty quick.

Vessely plays sf and works as a cap filler

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Stan Van Gundy on Rudy Gay trade rumors: "What surprises me is whan a team doesn't realize this is what they've been building for."

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I actually thought of the Wizards but couldn't come up with an offer that made sense.  They might have to wait a year for Okafor/Ariza to become expirings, for whatever that's worth.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I've yet to hear the rationale for trading Rudy Gay.  Can someone please explain what the reasoning is?  For the life of me I can't understand why they are shopping him.  I don't follow the Grizz closely but isn't he a top 2 talent on that team?  How does this possibly help their chances?  As a small market team you can't afford to throw title opportunities out the window.  You have to milk them as long as possible because they may never return.  Hollinger might be playing his "computer games" here but ball is played on the court, and Rudy Gay can ball.

Remember when Danny signed Scal because he had the same brain type as a Michael Jordan and Larry Bird?  I think advanced stats have a place in the game, but they're not the whole story.

Traditional stats aren't kind to him either.  He's providing 17.8 points from his 16.6 shots.  Maybe it's just a down year but he's only provided 17.9 points on 15.2 for his career.  You don't need an "advanced" breakdown to know those aren't good numbers.  He's averaging 2.5 assists a game--that's not good either.  His career average is 2 assist a game so he's never been a consistent playmaker.  Defense is more scouting and video based and based on those, apparently he's rated as a very good defender this year. 

Overall, he is not worth his contract.  I don't think Memphis is trying to deal him to save money.  I think it's very possible they think they could be a better team without him in the short and long term.  It's not far fetched at all. 

I'd say Gasol, Randolph, Allen and Conley are all more important players than Gay.

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Gallinari and Mozgov for Gay could really make sense for both teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9tcl4o2

The deal works and Gay is perfect for Denver's systems. They need a go to scorer and he fits the bill. Him and Igoudala on the break would be nasty.

Gallo could space the floor and provide a solid third/fourth option for Memphis. It almost takes Memphis out of the tax this year and Mozgov is expiring too. Could be bought out to save a little more money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:17:37 PM by Kane3387 »

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Gallinari and Mozgov for Gay could really make sense for both teams.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9tcl4o2

The deal works and Gay is perfect for Denver's systems. They need a go to scorer and he fits the bill. Him and Igoudala on the break would be nasty.

Gallo could space the floor and provide a solid third/fourth option for Memphis. It takes Memphis out of the tax this year and Mozgov is expiring too. Could be bought out to save a little more money.

I like that idea.

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

- Ric Bucher

That would be pretty terrible if they give up Beal for Gay.  But I could still see it.

Based on the rumors of what the price may be for Gay, I would say something along the lines of Ariza, Vesely, and Singleton for Gay.  Maybe throw in a protected first as well.

That gives Memphis a veteran wing who can step in immediately, and may actually be a good fit in their defensive minded system in Ariza.  A SF of the future in Singleton, and a talented young big man in Vesely. 

I think that is the kind of deal that can keep Memphis in the hunt in the playoffs, while still getting them out from under Gay's contract, and getting them under the tax line. 

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
According to a person with knowledge of those conversations, Gay is likely to remain a Grizzly through the end of this season. The message to Gay at the moment is that if he is dealt by the league's Feb. 21 trade deadline, then the Griz will have been offered a no-brainer scenario.

For example, the Griz have entertained the Washington Wizards' offer for Gay. The crux of that exchange would have the Griz receiving rookie shooting guard Bradley Beal in a larger package. The proposals for Randolph have been even weaker.

None of the potential deals has merit because they aren't believed to be strong enough to keep the Griz on their current pace.

Link

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
According to a person with knowledge of those conversations, Gay is likely to remain a Grizzly through the end of this season. The message to Gay at the moment is that if he is dealt by the league's Feb. 21 trade deadline, then the Griz will have been offered a no-brainer scenario.

For example, the Griz have entertained the Washington Wizards' offer for Gay. The crux of that exchange would have the Griz receiving rookie shooting guard Bradley Beal in a larger package. The proposals for Randolph have been even weaker.

None of the potential deals has merit because they aren't believed to be strong enough to keep the Griz on their current pace.

Link

Teams won't be putting their best offers on the table until around deadline day though. If a deal does get done it will more then likely be a few weeks from now around the All-Star Break. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he was, or wasn't, traded.