Author Topic: Boston locals... Any suggestions?  (Read 19517 times)

Re: Boston locals... Any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
If you are a big Celtics fan, take a tour of the Garden.  They walk you through the Sports Museum and get a little behind the curtain access to the building.  I have been on it twice and found it interesting.

If you are going to the Fours, get the Bobby Orr Steak Tip Sandwich.  It's the best!
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
If you are a big Celtics fan, take a tour of the Garden.  They walk you through the Sports Museum and get a little behind the curtain access to the building.  I have been on it twice and found it interesting.

If you are going to the Fours, get the Bobby Orr Steak Tip Sandwich.  It's the best!
That sounds interesting... I'll look into it, thanks!

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline mc11

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Ana's is somewhat overrated to be honest. Always makes you feel deathly ill after you eat it. Boloco is WAY better!

If I were you and your wife is anything like my fiancee...

I would check out the following...

- Newbury Street (great shopping and some cool eating spots - Cafateria, Boloco) There is a Banner 47 store which sells vintage/retro Celtics gear, Newbury Comics sells some cool Celts pint glasses, Boston shirts and other hilarious stuff your kids would enjoy if you want to bring them home a gift
- Boylston Street (The Town is a happening night/eating spot - right next to Newbury, some cool stores and lots of larger rests)
- Copley Square/Prudential (right off of Boylston, indoor mall that connects to the Prudential Mall - check out the store Roster - rocking Celtics gear)
- Harvard Square is pretty legit (see where all the movies have been filmed) and has some good small eats
- If you go to the North End eat at Ill Panino Express (rocking Pizza)

I'd stay away from Downtown Crossing (ugly and same BIG stores). The South End (Tremont St.) has some cool 1 of a kind stores.

That help?

Want to know anything else?

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Mike's Roast Beef on rte. 99 in Everett.
BAM
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Ana's is somewhat overrated to be honest. Always makes you feel deathly ill after you eat it. Boloco is WAY better!

If I were you and your wife is anything like my fiancee...

I would check out the following...

- Newbury Street (great shopping and some cool eating spots - Cafateria, Boloco) There is a Banner 47 store which sells vintage/retro Celtics gear, Newbury Comics sells some cool Celts pint glasses, Boston shirts and other hilarious stuff your kids would enjoy if you want to bring them home a gift
- Boylston Street (The Town is a happening night/eating spot - right next to Newbury, some cool stores and lots of larger rests)
- Copley Square/Prudential (right off of Boylston, indoor mall that connects to the Prudential Mall - check out the store Roster - rocking Celtics gear)
- Harvard Square is pretty legit (see where all the movies have been filmed) and has some good small eats
- If you go to the North End eat at Ill Panino Express (rocking Pizza)

I'd stay away from Downtown Crossing (ugly and same BIG stores). The South End (Tremont St.) has some cool 1 of a kind stores.

That help?

Want to know anything else?
Newbury St. sounds cool... We are staying near the Garden. What's the best transportation to get around?

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »

Offline Bryant

• Svi Mykhailiuk

Checked online... No tours during the season...

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:39 AM »

Offline mc11

• Jaden Springer
You can really walk anywhere in Boston. Its like a 1.5 mile walk from the Garden area but you could surely see the sights on the way. You could walk thru Gov Center, then walk by the old Cemetaries, then thru Boston Common (see the Swan Boats & Make Way for Ducklings Statues) and you could come out on the high end of Newbury. Newbury St streches like 1-2 miles with the wicked high end shops closer to the Common. Boston Common is broken up into 2 very large parks, very walkable and you guys will def love it assuming the weather is kosher.

For stories if you are a sports fan check out Banner 47, Fat Steve's, Roster, Newbury Comics in that general area.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
If you like Sea food, Yankee Lobster on the waterfront is great and affordable. If you want to treat yourself Neptune Oyster in the North End is great as is Oceanaire. No.9 Park and L'Espalier are great for fine dining.

Trolley tours are fun. If you like baseball, the Fenway Park Tour is cool.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
For a short trip, public transportation is the way to go. MBTA.com is a great resource and you can buy a weekly pass for a discount.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'll be honest with you...you're a married guy from Alabama and never been to Boston.  If you don't like history, walking all day, get crammed into an old creaky train, trip over bricks and encounter a lot of rude people who aren't really interested in conversations then you'll hate Boston.  Having said that-

-Boston duck tour
-Fenway Park tour
-walk around Harvard Square and Harvard Yard
-walk the Freedom trail and go to all its big destinations (Park Street Church, Old North Church, Bunker Hill monument, State House, Old State House, Granary Burial Grounds)
-hit up the classic bars on Canal Street (Sullivan's Tap, the Fours- this actually was voted America's best sports bar in Sports Illustrated maybe 2005 or 2006?- World's Greatest Sports Bar, Hurricane O'Reillys)
-check out Red's statue on Fanueil Hall (pronounced as Fannel, not Fan-yoo-ell)
-don't say "yeah baby we're in beantown!" "yeah baby, we're in Bah-ston!" is more appropriate
-picket for a Bill Russell statue in front of the Garden.

Hope you have a good time!

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
If you're looking for a nice -- if pricey -- meal, I recommend Top of the Hub.  The food is excellent and the view is excellent on a clear night.  It's very romantic, if you want to impress your wife.

This is a good idea.  Although it doesn't have to be pricey if you go to the bar section instead of the sit down section.  You need to go early to get a seat in this area, but you can get a seat right next to the window and enjoy awesome views, but at a better price (though views aren't quite as good as the regular sit down area).

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Also on Canal Street is Boston Beer Works which has good craft beer IMO (there's also one next to Fenway called Fenway Beer Works).

RE: Top of the Hub (which is at the top of the Prudential (Pru)), there is a Duck Tour boarding point (or at least there used to be) near the Prudential Center, so you might be able to combine those two.

The Prudential Center is also close to the Christian Science Center stuff and Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO).  If you are at the Pru and the weather is nice and you have the time, definitely worth the 15-20 minutes it would take to walk through the Christian Science Center park to BSO and back to the Pru.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
There are a couple of dozen great Italian restaurants in the northend, about a ten minute walk from the Garden.  Bricco's is my favorite.  Then go to Mike's Pastry Shop across the street for a SINful dessert!  (And there's even a cigar bar on the same block, in a downstairs speakeasy type lounge, where you might feel Red's ghost lurking.)

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Everybody else has made some great suggestions. Here are my two cents:

If you're into Sushi, you MUST go to Ma Soba! It's amazing, and you'll be surprised when the bill ends up being a little less than you would assume from the looks of the place and the quality of the food.

Also, just thought I'd warn you that while the game will still be fun, I wouldn't expect too lively of a crowd for an April Pistons game.

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »

Offline mc11

• Jaden Springer
If we are just talking of places to eat now...

North End:
Ill Panino Express (quick bite, pizza, parm)
Mike's Pastries
Modern Bakery

Newbury Street Area:
Boloco - Burrito Joint, Boston based chain, great smoothies too
The Towne (upscale eatery and fancy drinks)
Cafateria - Tom Brady & Gisele's Hangout, Burgers etc...
Papa Razi - The best Chicken Parm Around
MET Burger Bar - Amazing Burgers, about $14 a pop
Legal Sea Food

Outside of that area...

Remy's by Fenway - good view of Fenway Park
Fenway Beer Works
La Verdad Mexican by Fenway (killer Margaritas)
Red Bones in Somerville has the best BBQ in the city