Author Topic: Best draft options : Top 4  (Read 6869 times)

Re: Best draft options : Top 4
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 06:38:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
#1 pick and in a clear league of his own: Markelle Fultz. Potential top 5/ NBA superstar player.

#2 pick and could very well be an All Star caliber/top 25 player. Lonzo Ball

#3 Tatum- solid potential on both ends. Could be an All Star and hopefully at least a Tobias Harris level player in a worst case.

#4 Jackson- I don't see as much star potential on offense in Jackson as others do. I see an elite defender who can score in straight line drives but lacks handles to be a superstar. Like an elite defender with offense of Jeff Green.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
#4 Jackson- I don't see as much star potential on offense in Jackson as others do. I see an elite defender who can score in straight line drives but lacks handles to be a superstar. Like an elite defender with offense of Jeff Green.

Jackson is a lot more competitive than Jeff Green.   Green always had the talent but lacked the competitive edge.  Jackson does not.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Jackson is a lot more competitive than Jeff Green.   Green always had the talent but lacked the competitive edge.  Jackson does not.

I don't question his edge. I'm saying he's got a pretty limited offensive skill set in the half court.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Lack of respect for Ball on this site makes me question the talent evaluating abilities of many that post here. Ball is the real deal with Jason Kidd upside only with a three point shot already developed. He will be a triple double threat every night once he acclimates himself to the NBA game and out of all the prospects, he might be the one that acclimates his game fastest. Why? Because his BBIQ is of the chart.

I really believe Ball is top two minimum and might be #1 on a whole bunch of teams draft boards by the time the draft rolls around.

Your points are well taken but dont speak to the concerns that I listed. The things you listed are his best points which could make him a good player but that doesnt mean the concerns about his P & R ability, his ability to create a shot in the HC,his one dimensional scoring in the HC with the ball in his hands arent concerns.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd be curious what it is about Fultz (or Ball) that will make them so much better a prospect than say, Kris Dunn or Deangelo Russell?

I don't watch college ball, but am legitimately curious because it seems folks were saying all the same things about Dunn and Russell when they were the cream their respective drafts. 

What makes this year's prospects different?

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Lack of respect for Ball on this site makes me question the talent evaluating abilities of many that post here. Ball is the real deal with Jason Kidd upside only with a three point shot already developed. He will be a triple double threat every night once he acclimates himself to the NBA game and out of all the prospects, he might be the one that acclimates his game fastest. Why? Because his BBIQ is of the chart.

I really believe Ball is top two minimum and might be #1 on a whole bunch of teams draft boards by the time the draft rolls around.

I get that his IQ is off the charts, but he just isn't as high for me because of 2 deciding factors. His mid range game is literally non existent. His shake isn't there. Creating off the dribble always seemed to be a problem, and his PnR game just wasn't at the level you want a modern PG to be able to do it at.
Also his shooting. While percentage wise it is great, mechanically it is one of the worst shots I have ever seen. He gets it to work, but shooting from such a low position really opens defenders up to contest it, even if he is a few feet behind the NBA 3pt line.

If he puts a ton of work into his shot to not shoot it like a 10th grade girl (not a diss, just a lot of women I have seen shoot from these low angles,) then he might be special.
#JKJB

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Top Tier
Fultz-  Top prospect. Going to be one of the best at getting into the paint off the dribble in the league. I think he will be a Harden level talent in terms of scoring, they have similar measurements, but I think Fultz might be more explosive. Fits the need we have of another offensive creator when teams shift towards IT.

Second Tier (I go back and fourth on these next 3 guys)
Tatum- Is a great scorer. He might not be as explosive as the other guys in the top 4, but the natural footwork he has at such a young age is going to lead him to be a great offensive player. He has great length and should be able to guard multiple positions once he fills out. Long term he and Brown on the perimeter would pose a ton of match up problems for opponents. His shot improved as the season went along which i what you want to see and the mechanics are good. I heard on a recent podcast that no one works harder on their game than him. He reminds me of Melo, except Tatum defends and makes the extra pass.

Jackson- An athlete the likes of which the Celtics haven't seen in a while. Superior vertical athlete to Jaylen Brown. He's an excellent passer, can guard multiple positions due to his size, and quickness. His shot went in during the second half of the year but I don't like it mechanically. Combine his ugly mechanics with a poor 3 point percentage and he might end up struggling to shoot at the NBA level. If he can clear up his mechanics and become a 3 point shooter I think he is a star in this league.

Ball- Elite passer, great feel for the game, good vertical athlete. On the right team he can lead an elite offense. On the wrong team he won't be able to create the separation to create any shots. If we trade for a guy like George, or Butler or sign a player like Hayward I think Ball is a perfect fit because he will enhance great scorers rather being expected to create himself. If we don't acquire another scorer I don't see how Ball fits, since we need offensive creators for when teams collapse on IT and Ball isn't that.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My Celtics draft boards is the following

Fultz
Ball
Tatum
Jackson

For me the debate is broken up into two pairings. Fultz and Ball at PG and Jackson and Tatum as combo wings. I see the PGs going 1-2 and the wings 2-3.

In my opinion Fultz is the clear #1. I am a huge Ball fan but for a #1 pick I fear the unknown. Fultz fits a clear NBA player archetype. He is a big athletic scoring point. Rose, Westbrook and Wall have all shown the value of this type of player in the league. Ball is an out of the box prospect. The best current player comp I can come up with is Rubio with 3pt range. However to give Rubio an outside shot totally changes him as a player. His shooting range and passing are both elite skills that will clearly make him a long time NBA player. My question is if he will be able to defend 1v1 well enough, create 1v1 at the end of the clock, and finish at the rim at the level needed to be a Star. With Fultz these are not questions and clearly separated them as prospects.

Jackson and Ball are statistically similar prospects who play very differently. Jackson will likely be a 3/2 wing who is capable of initiating the offense and at the very least play as a secondary ball handler. I could see him thriving if given a Evan Turner like role (when with Cs) as I think they have similar skills sets with Jackson being a superior defender and athlete. Tatum is a scoring 3/4 if he adds weight to his wide frame he should have no issues physically vs smaller PFs. He really needs to commit himself to playing defense but has the makings of an offensive stud. This is a tough call but given that Tatum is 1 year younger then Jackson I give a slight edge to Tatum. With that said Jackson is the safer pick.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 11:52:33 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Top Tier
Fultz-  Top prospect. Going to be one of the best at getting into the paint off the dribble in the league. I think he will be a Harden level talent in terms of scoring, they have similar measurements, but I think Fultz might be more explosive. Fits the need we have of another offensive creator when teams shift towards IT.

Second Tier (I go back and fourth on these next 3 guys)
Tatum- Is a great scorer. He might not be as explosive as the other guys in the top 4, but the natural footwork he has at such a young age is going to lead him to be a great offensive player. He has great length and should be able to guard multiple positions once he fills out. Long term he and Brown on the perimeter would pose a ton of match up problems for opponents. His shot improved as the season went along which i what you want to see and the mechanics are good. I heard on a recent podcast that no one works harder on their game than him. He reminds me of Melo, except Tatum defends and makes the extra pass.

Jackson- An athlete the likes of which the Celtics haven't seen in a while. Superior vertical athlete to Jaylen Brown. He's an excellent passer, can guard multiple positions due to his size, and quickness. His shot went in during the second half of the year but I don't like it mechanically. Combine his ugly mechanics with a poor 3 point percentage and he might end up struggling to shoot at the NBA level. If he can clear up his mechanics and become a 3 point shooter I think he is a star in this league.

Ball- Elite passer, great feel for the game, good vertical athlete. On the right team he can lead an elite offense. On the wrong team he won't be able to create the separation to create any shots. If we trade for a guy like George, or Butler or sign a player like Hayward I think Ball is a perfect fit because he will enhance great scorers rather being expected to create himself. If we don't acquire another scorer I don't see how Ball fits, since we need offensive creators for when teams collapse on IT and Ball isn't that.

I want to copy and paste this going forward. TP Evan. Great analysis, and is exactly what I think about each prospect.
#JKJB